Ultra slim double face fly box

pati

Hi

Before I buy 2 single face boxes and glue them back to back, anyone knows where I could buy a double face ultra slim box? Ideally silicon insert rather than foam but can compromise on that.

Don’t need huge capacity but don’t want to mix brass and tungsten beads in the same box, and prefer a single thicker box to 2 slim ones...

Thanks for any pointers !

sean freeman

The latest Umpqua boxes or tacky double sided have my vote. They’re all I use now other than the odd C&F swing leaf.

pati

Hi Sean,

Cheers for the tip but they don't look particularly slim those Umpqua, is there a specific model you are thinking of?

Ideally I d like something half the "height'/thickness of a C&F...It s only fo nymph so not fuss about crushing hackle or anything like that

Cap'n Fishy

I just stuck a sheet of foam into the lid of a single-sided box. I bought some of these...

Stillwater storafly...

... but I don't like any kind of slotted system, so I had to rip out the existing side, then put in 2 sides of plain foam to make a double-sider. The large is probably bigger than you want, but the medium might suit your needs...

When closed, the thickness of that one is 25 mm. If that is too thick for you, it would be a case of finding a thinner one and sticking an extra sheet of foam inside the lid. If you prefer the slots, I think some have replacement sets available.

There are the likes of these....

Vision slim

Stillwater slimline

... but they are so slim, you would need to glue 2 back to back - but if you did, it would still be as slim as any 2-sided box.

Col

Last edited:

sean freeman

Hi Sean,

Cheers for the tip but they don't look particularly slim those Umpqua, is there a specific model you are thinking of?

Ideally I d like something half the "height'/thickness of a C&F...It s only fo nymph so not fuss about crushing hackle or anything like that

I’m a big fan of this one

And with tacky this one which I think is very slim but I’m comparing to my old C&F boxes.

The Tacky boxes really are very good!

pati

I’m a big fan of this one

And with tacky this one which I think is very slim but I’m comparing to my old C&F boxes.

The Tacky boxes really are very good!

At 1.9cm that Tacky seems nice but otherwise a bit large, will be a back up option if nothing else! Aren't they quit heavy though? Thanks

antd

The Loop Opti 185 tactical flybox seems a good box for what you need :)

sean freeman

The Tacky boxes are pretty light in my opinion, if the dimensions are too large they do a day pack version that will fit in your pocket. Have a browse at the tacky gear on sportfish.

Wee Jimmy

I just stuck a sheet of foam into the lid of a single-sided box. I bought some of these...

Stillwater storafly...

... but I don't like any kind of slotted system, so I had to rip out the existing side, then put in 2 sides of plain foam to make a double-sider. The large is probably bigger than you want, but the medium might suit your needs...

When closed, the thickness of that one is 25 mm. If that is too thick for you, it would be a case of finding a thinner one and sticking an extra sheet of foam inside the lid. If you prefer the slots, I think some have replacement sets available.

There are the likes of these....

Vision slim

Stillwater slimline

... but they are so slim, you would need to glue 2 back to back - but if you did, it would still be as slim as any 2-sided box.

Col

I'm going to switch over to that system this winter Col .Massive deadwood clearance on the cards....

pati

I believe fulling mill are about to launch some new slim boxes

Edit. This one and I think 1.2" deep http://www.fullingmill.com/Products-US/Fly-Boxes-US/Tactical-Box-US

Not bad that’s fullingmill, thanks! Would prefer something with a central double fac and two transparent lids though. I think I m gonna end up glueing 2 of these back to back: