Under rated tackle and over rated tackle

Rob Edmunds

Just a topic for discussion really, no right or wrong answers and not intending to cause an argument........But I think there is a lot of tackle that doesn't get the kudos/respect it deserves for one reason or another and equally a lot of tackle that just gets too much.

I'll start......G.Loomis GL3 - series of rods 9ft 9" 2 piece. I think this is an outstanding rod despite it being 30 years old. The 9ft 9" makes it slightly unusual as traditionally anglers use a 9ft 6 or 10ft rod in the UK but that's not to it's detriment - it can fish any method/line very well

It was a Middle to Entry level rod when originally sold ( medium/fast action) but in my mind it's exceptional. yes I accept it's not as good as a Loomis GLX but it's not that far off and about 1/4 of the price. ( Secondhand they can easily be snapped up for £125)

To me it's an under rated gem....

Over rated......pretty much any Hardy reel made overseas ;-)

sewinbasher

I think we have to distinguish between over-rated and over-priced. Most Sage, Hardy, Loomis, Orvis, Scott, Winston and Loop rods are excellent as tools but hard to justify in terms of heading for £1,000 at the top end and they are certainly not 5x better than many £200 rods.

In terms of under-rated rod brands I'd offer Fulling Mill, Temple Fork, Wychwood and Redington.

GEK79

I think we have to distinguish between over-rated and over-priced. Most Sage, Hardy, Loomis, Orvis, Scott, Winston and Loop rods are excellent as tools but hard to justify in terms of heading for £1,000 at the top end and they are certainly not 5x better than many £200 rods.

In terms of under-rated rod brands I'd offer Fulling Mill, Temple Fork, Wychwood and Redington.
I've never bought a brand new top end rod.. But have a second hand G Series and she's a dream also a gifted redington classic.. I enjoy the fulling mill gold rod I picked up as stated by sewin an under rated rod..
With through in the Shakespeare sigma rods too for the price..

bonefishblues

The premium paid for 'top' brand sunglasses. Excellent in the main (but what's the point of a polarising lens that is fitted to a frame that doesn't keep light from getting behind it?) but so are 'second tier' like Bolle, Hobie & many others.

splinters

Nobody ever seems to sing the praises of Sharpes nets. I got my Seaforth for my eighteenth birthday. Never oiled or polished or interfered with in any way, it still opens with the flick of a hand and extends smoothly. God knows how many bags it's had. I will celebrate it's forty fifth birthday this year. Hugely underated, I don't know why anyone would have any other make of telescopic net.
Simon.

pati

Danielsson F3W and L5W are probably the most underrated reels in the game. Specs and performance on par if not better than most big name fancy brands.They are fairly priced too which means they are massively underpriced by industry standards...

Barrio lines: fairly priced but massively overrated

Kamasan B175: underrated as not a “fashionable” brand, not a fashionable modern “tactical” shape yet probably the most dependable hook ever for anything below surface. Price is high but very fair by industry standards.

Whilst I m on it: everything that has the word tactical appended to its name or description is generally massively overrated (and overpriced) EXCEPT Marryat’s Tactical rod series

original cormorant

Is the GL3 under-rated? probably lower profile than other Loomis rods but I'd have thought still highly rated. When I bought mine in 99 it was the most expensive rod I owned, so I wouldn't have regarded it as middle to entry level.

I wouldn't regard TFO and Reddington as under-rated, in my view they are good well recognised rods.

Scandinavian rods - Guideline, Vision, Loop tend to be a bit niche but highly rated by those who fish them. My vote is for Scandinavian tackle company rods.

I don't think anyone under-rates Danielson reels - possibly they are over-rated but under-priced.

Sash

Under-rated: the old model Orvis Battenkill Disc reels: light, relatively affordable, and an entirely suitable drag for any species in the UK, freshwater or salt.
My favourite size is the 5/6: I have used it for rods and lines from 3- to 7 weights, and it has handled them all (and the fish!) really well.
Oh, and good corrosion resistance, so no problems using it in tidal waters (or the sea): that's more than you can say for any of the Hardy reels of the same size or generation.

Last edited:

Rob Edmunds

With you on the Sharpes landing nets......my bank net is 30+ years old and still going strong.......like you I've never " interfered " with it 🤣🤣cleaned or oiled it... its bomb proof....(Boat nets last a couple of years in comparison,)

Not sure I agree about Kamasan B175's .... to me they are the hook by which all others are judged they set the standard........I thought/assumed most tyiers/anglers appreciated them

Last edited:

pati

Not sure about Kamasan B175's .... to me they are the hook by which all others are judged they set the standard.....

Can’t agree more with that, only gripe I have with them is that they are not available in size 18 and 20...

Another underrated: good semi automatic reels (Vivarelli, Peux Fulgor, Thinkfish bold etc): for river fishing these are SO convenient yet don’t have much of a following here and in the US compared to continental Europe. I love them for river fishing especially if I m using my natural silk line and wading a lot...

Underrated: quality natural silk line. Yes they cost 200£ but they last 20+ years and get better with time, cast better in the wind are thinner and more delicate on the water don’t coil and don’t sink (until they re wet that is ;-) )! Compare that with Rio/SA premium lines retailing north of 125£ but that will only last a couple of years...

Underrated: Abel Nippers. Way overpriced but so dependable yet small and streamlined to not get in the way (glad I paid mine 25£ thanks to Orvis at the time!!! Why didn’t I buy 2 then is beyond me)

Vintage Badger

Going back 10 or so years, Vision Koma reels, in the days when they came with a spare spool for under £60. They were derided by the cack-handed, who said they bent or broke if you dropped them on concrete, but guess what, you drop one of todays skeletal alloy type reels on concrete and see what happens to it!

Anyway, I didn't drop my Koma reels on concrete and they're still going strong! Would I buy a new one today though? No, as they're £80 without a spare spool and only come in black. However, in their day, I think they were great value for money for a large arbour reel with a disc drag that worked well.

pati

Going back 10 or so years, Vision Koma reels, in the days when they came with a spare spool for under £60. They were derided by the cack-handed, who said they bent or broke if you dropped them on concrete, but guess what, you drop one of todays skeletal alloy type reels on concrete and see what happens to it!

Anyway, I didn't drop my Koma reels on concrete and they're still going strong! Would I buy a new one today though? No, as they're £80 without a spare spool and only come in black. However, in their day, they were great value for money for a large arbour reel with a disc drag that worked well.

In that vein, Okuma Helios reel were pretty amazing too

Overmiwadrers

Rio lines. Over priced, over weighted and overrated.
Totally agree where as Wulff triangle taper are ace , brilliant lines cast beautifully and wear well. and reasonable price. Underrated.

With you with Sharpes nets , mine has handled many sea trout and is now 25 years old and as good as new.

Also a shout out for Brady bags. the over the shoulder bag is not as popular as it was , but mine still gets used . it is now 34 years old and as good as new , but very grubby , Not cheap but faultless quality.

Danielson reels , Flawless engineering and reasonable price direct from the manufacture and after sales service that puts other companies to shame . under rated

Simms , I know has fans but my experience has been massively overpriced and mediocre performance , My boots lost their soles in no time at all...Very overrated

O M W

roger h 10

Vision Rods especially the Onki and SISU are great rods that punch well above their price bracket.

Danielsson reels are terrific value for money and a joy to use.

Talon fly lines are incredible value for money at under a tenner each. Not only are they very slick but have no memory issues and cast very well.

sagecirca

Airflo Airlite V2 rods. Their floaters are mince, their sub-surface lines are the best but this rod was equally as good if not better than their top of the range peers IMO.

I had a full week of stocky-bashing down at Graftham, Draycote etc 2 years back at the tail end of the season and my mate had brought a couple of these into our boat as backups. I had been using a Sage ONE and the X model most of the week and had began to tire throwing out long lines and ripping lures back. So much so, that as I was on the engine and had to cast through the boat, I was beginning to catch my rod, the boat and my mate with said lures.

Paranoid that I would end up breaking the rod, my mate suggested that I string up one of these Airlite rods for a whirl. I have to say, I was sceptical but after a few throws and a few fish that was me convinced entirely.

In a boat full of top end Sage rods and the Sintrix from Hardy, the Airlite certainly held its own. And the best of it was it had the nicer cork handle too...

IMG_4151.JPG