Under rated tackle and over rated tackle

Vintage Badger

Talking of Sage rods, I have a 9' 6" #6 Sage FLi, which cost me £225 in 2008. It's nicely finished, with a tasteful-looking, rosewood reel-seat and good-quality cork handle and weighs in at just 3 3/4 ounces. It casts well and I can feel fish right down to the handle when I'm playing them. All in all I think it's an underrated rod for the money in comparison to some of their high end stuff.

shortcircuit

I never hear about them and I don't think you can get them any more, but I have a Sonik SK Lite fly rod which was gifted to me. A 9' 3# which is a slightly odd combination, but it's a lovely rod. Really high quality finish on it too, lovely inlay on the reel seat

Mrtrout

I’m a big Sage fan of rods and reels, more so the reels.
The original 2540/50 and the 4540/50.
First class design, engineering and just go on forever, beautiful to look at and fish with.
897A7D9F-C1EB-4761-A4CA-8B4FAA37CFC8.jpeg
The rods like the SLT, ZXL and the LL models have gained cult status for dry fly fishermen holding incredible resale values after all these years.
I’ve never bought a brand new Sage rod at RRP, I think any rod costing around a £1000 is just plain silly.
Redington products since they came under Sage ownership have become very decent products at middle of the road money, the Classic Trout being one example.
Ive never got my head around Abel reels, and I’ve tried hard, they just seem clunky heavy ugly reels to me, each to their own of course.
Orvis BBS reels the original were a terrific little reel and still sought after, the new Battenkill is a fine reel also but not a patch on the original.

S.

beetlebum

I'm a big fan of lamson liquid reels, well made with a great drag for a very good price. I use them pretty much exclusively these days.

bbamboo

If you looking for a classic reel to fit up with a bamboo rod, look at the Young's beaudex reels. Last forever, bulletproof. And little money compared to the likes of a vintage Hardy's.

pati

Redington products since they came under Sage ownership have become very decent products at middle of the road money, the Classic Trout being one example.

S.

Very very strongly disagree with that, Sage Redington is excellent value for money but PRE Sage Redington was totally underrated yet cutting edge (and accordingly overpriced as they couldn’t get the volumes required to get to a de net price point).

Typical example: Redington NTi rods. These retailed at twice the price of most expensive Sage rods when they were released. They are now almost 30years old and still better than 99% of rods that have come to the market since.... Redington CT is a re-release of a pre Sage Redington design too...

suzuki15hp

I have a couple of Greys GX300 4/5/6 fly reels that I have a big problem with.

I like to fill my fly reels to as near capacity as possible, and with these GX300's I've had a few incidents where the line got caught between the bottom cage guide and the groove on the inside of the spool. It's a nightmare, as it always happens when I have a fish on and have had to reel in the slack off the boat floor. Of course the line is now not as tight on the spool as it was when I started fishing, and this is when it gets trapped. I've then had to quickly unscrew the spool from the cage and finish landing the fish with the spool off the reel.

Time for a change of fly reels.

Mrtrout

Very very strongly disagree with that, Sage Redington is excellent value for money but PRE Sage Redington was totally underrated yet cutting edge (and accordingly overpriced as they couldn’t get the volumes required to get to a de net price point).

Typical example: Redington NTi rods. These retailed at twice the price of most expensive Sage rods when they were released. They are now almost 30years old and still better than 99% of rods that have come to the market since.... Redington CT is a re-release of a pre Sage Redington design too...
Isnt that just what I said Pat, they are now very reasonably priced?
Ive only owned One Redington rod the CT, I’ve had a couple of the Rise reels.
S.

pati

Isnt that just what I said Pat, they are now very reasonably priced?
Ive only owned One Redington rod the CT, I’ve had a couple of the Rise reels.
S.

Yes they are today midrange and very good value for money and well rated/known for that. Be it their CT or Butterstick series, these are highly rated products.

My point was that PRE Sage, Redington products were very underrated for what they were (even though some were actually very expensive). Best example are NTi rods which were the most advanced rod technology by a mile (they were several years of not a decade before every other maker on lots of aspects: multi modulus blank, nano resins...). They were dearly priced and the first series had breakage issues (overbooked and hence brittle...) but once that was fixed they were in Munich opinion the finest carbon rod ever built... Way underrated by most who dismissed them simply based on brand...

I guess my point is to insist you can be over/ fairly or underpriced and over/underrated in any combination. Redington pre Sage were maybe overpriced but at least for NTis they were way underrated by most

arawa

Hardy Demon Smuggler; 8ft 4-weight version. Pairs beautifully with a Sage Click reel and fishes as well or better than my “exotica” rods while fitting inside a small rucksack when heading for the hill lochs.

JohnH

A thumbs down from me for Wychwood Rover nets.

The concept is excellent, in fact the largest model - on paper - offers everything a stillwater angler could ask, whether fishing from bank or boat. But it's badly let down by poor details in execution. The head is fixed to the telescopic pole by just a single pop rivet, and when (not if) said rivet snaps, goodnight Vienna. The pole itself is made of thin-walled aluminium tube and if you manage to bend it it you won't fully straighten it again, compromising the telescopic. Compare and contrast with the battleship build quality of a Maclean or Sharpes offering.

Last edited:

The Endrick Spider

Under-rated: the old model Orvis Battenkill Disc reels: light, relatively affordable, and an entirely suitable drag for any species in the UK, freshwater or salt.
My favourite size is the 5/6: I have used it for rods and lines from 3- to 7 weights, and it has handled them all (and the fish!) really well.
Oh, and good corrosion resistance, so no problems using it in tidal waters (or the sea): that's more than you can say for any of the Hardy reels of the same size or generation.
I was out on the loch this morning for a few hours where the reel I was using was a Beaulite that I must have purchased back in the 1960's. I cant remember what it actually cost but I see that in 1987 it cost £15. It was a great reel to use on those occasions where I was fishing where I should not have been for there are two lugs inside that can easily be removed for silent running. I purchased this reel to replace my Condex reel which was ok on the river but did not hold enough line for the loch. Already 60 years old it will last me for ever. I also have a Hardy's Marquis 7 that cost 1p short of £250. I will tell you how much I like my Hardy's reel, is is only used for storing old fly lies where it never leaves the house. What anglers seem to forget, as long as it balances the rod then what fly reel you use does not really matter, a fly reel is only for storing your line, The cheapest will do exactly the same as those greatly overpriced ones.
I started my day by magnate fishing where I fished out a pair of disgorging pliers, caught two trout and then hooked up on a lost drogue. It took a size 12 epoxy buzzer and successfully landed it on 4lb breaking strain. It was crawling with insect life therefore towed it behind the boat doing a bit of chumming.

Tangled

Maxima Ultragreen - can't be overrated. Also Maxcatch Real Gold line.

A surprising amount of Airflo gear is very good for the money. I can't fault a £50 wading jacket or an Airflo 13' 6" Journeyman 7 piece travel rod that I learnt double-handed casting with and have since taken all over the world.

Peach Courtland 444 - absolute rubbish; most disappointing piece of kit I've ever bought, mostly I suppose because of it's reputation.

Sage Igniter. £950 quids worth of ultra-fast, lightweight casting rod. Probably two line weights underrated (!) A lovely rod to play with but I'd never buy one.

Dunlop wellies. £10 quids worth of pure utility.

Last edited:

ohanzee

The Scott A2, it was overshadowed by the A3 when they came out and never really got the credit they were due, those must be cheap as chips now and as good as anything.

Hunter wellies, overpriced averageness.

Redington Nano titanium, performance ahead of it's time.

The (now old) Daiwa Whisker.

The first Hardy Angel at second hand price, have Hardy made a rod that good since?

easker1

the Orvis Rockie Mountain Range of reels, ( I know They are BFR) a decent disc drag reel easker1

GEK79

With you on the Sharpes landing nets......my bank net is 30+ years old and still going strong.......like you I've never " interfered " with it 🤣🤣cleaned or oiled it... its bomb proof....(Boat nets last a couple of years in comparison,)

Not sure I agree about Kamasan B175's .... to me they are the hook by which all others are judged they set the standard........I thought/assumed most tyiers/anglers appreciated them
I was recommended them by someone on here.. 🤔🤔

GEK79

The Scott A2, it was overshadowed by the A3 when they came out and never really got the credit they were due, those must be cheap as chips now and as good as anything.

Hunter wellies, overpriced averageness.

Redington Nano titanium, performance ahead of it's time.

The (now old) Daiwa Whisker.

The first Hardy Angel at second hand price, have Hardy made a rod that good since?
Must have a look for an A2😜😜

Gdog

Is the GL3 under-rated? probably lower profile than other Loomis rods but I'd have thought still highly rated. When I bought mine in 99 it was the most expensive rod I owned, so I wouldn't have regarded it as middle to entry level.

I wouldn't regard TFO and Reddington as under-rated, in my view they are good well recognised rods.

Scandinavian rods - Guideline, Vision, Loop tend to be a bit niche but highly rated by those who fish them. My vote is for Scandinavian tackle company rods.

I don't think anyone under-rates Danielson reels - possibly they are over-rated but under-priced.

I cast a 9'9 #7 GL3 in a fishing tackle exhibition in Seattle in 1995, I'd never cast anything as fast as it before or for about 12 years afterwards. I was a bit nervous about buying it, oh well I'd love it now.

Latest posts