Under rated tackle and over rated tackle

JohnH

Gink. Overpriced and impossible to coax from the bottle without mole grips when temperature falls below 19*C, entire contents of bottle discharged with slightest touch at 21*C.
While the make-up of Gink is said to be a closely guarded secret, there's a persistent rumour that it's really a product from the cosmetics industry minus any fragrance. Does anyone know if there's anything in that, or is it simply an urban myth ?

Vintage Badger

I had to sit on my hands to convince myself that I didn't need another one. The seller had originally listed the XLA with a Koma spare spool with a starting price of 60, after his error had been pointed out he relisted it at 50.
That's a shame, I could do with a spare 7/8 Koma spool, we could have put in a combined bid. :)

pati

Gink. Overpriced and impossible to coax from the bottle without mole grips when temperature falls below 19*C, entire contents of bottle discharged with slightest touch at 21*C.

That’s why you buy Loon rather than Gink ;-) Loon is temperature stable

diawl bach

That’s why you buy Loon rather than Gink ;-) Loon is temperature stable
Thanks for the tip, not only is Aquel temperate stable it also "masks the human smell" - sounds perfect for me :cool:

beetlebum

Overrated :- Aigle wellies, paid £100 for a pair of Parcours Vario and they leaked within two months!!
Underrated :- Muckboot wellies...went back to wearing my old pair of these, ten years old and counting.

bonefishblues

That's less than some Komas have been selling for on eBay lately, it's crazy; they're worth more now than I paid for them!

Mind you, when you look at the price of a new equivalent reel today you begin to understand why, the price of some branded rods and reels has gone silly. No wonder Maxcatch stuff has developed a following.
Maxcatch? Never heard of them :whistle:

Vintage Badger

Overrated :- Aigle wellies, paid £100 for a pair of Parcours Vario and they leaked within two months!!
Underrated :- Muckboot wellies...went back to wearing my old pair of these, ten years old and counting.
Years ago I bought a pair of Aigle Parcours and one of them soon started leaking too, although the neoprene lined version seems to have reasonable reviews. As for Muckboot wellies, I had to throw mine away after just over a year as the neoprene leg started to detach from the rubberised foot section. They were comfy enough but I wouldn't risk buying another pair after that as they weren't particularly cheap.

Dingbat

While the make-up of Gink is said to be a closely guarded secret, there's a persistent rumour that it's really a product from the cosmetics industry minus any fragrance. Does anyone know if there's anything in that, or is it simply an urban myth ?
in the same way frogs fanny is simply a toothpaste and building materials firmer

pati

in the same way frogs fanny is simply a toothpaste and building materials firmer

Frogs Fanny being just silica powder doesn’t make it overrated but just overpriced (ie frogs fanny is pretty unbeatable for reviving a CDC Fly).
(Re price, indeed silica powder can be bought in bulk 1L can for the price of 1 small branded frog fanny pot...careful how you handle that stuff though, very harmful to your lungs, I personally don’t want to take such risk!)

Gink is overrated because it lets you down when temperature is a bit high or a bit low !

beetlebum

Years ago I bought a pair of Aigle Parcours and one of them soon started leaking too, although the neoprene lined version seems to have reasonable reviews. As for Muckboot wellies, I had to throw mine away after just over a year as the neoprene leg started to detach from the rubberised foot section. They were comfy enough but I wouldn't risk buying another pair after that as they weren't particularly cheap.
I can't grumble about my experience with Muckboots at all. It just goes to show that QC is a problem across most brands. The Aigles really annoyed me though as everyone seemed to sing their praises and I was only replacing the Muckboots because they were starting to look tired.

Gdog

Orvis Battenkill are fantastic reels, I bought one in 1995, dropped it numerous times, got banged around boat fishing for years and it is still mechanically perfect, although missing paint around the perimeter. It has a drag good enough to stop any trout, unlike the drags on lots of modern trout reels that are overkill. Its retired permanently after making a few comebacks in recent years, it cost about £75, for that money definitely one of the best fly reels ever made. I had a made in England BBS IV, pretty looking but the drag was nowhere as good as the Battenkill.

paterlilu

Danielsson F3W and L5W are probably the most underrated reels in the game. Specs and performance on par if not better than most big name fancy brands.They are fairly priced too which means they are massively underpriced by industry standards...

Barrio lines: fairly priced but massively overrated

Kamasan B175: underrated as not a “fashionable” brand, not a fashionable modern “tactical” shape yet probably the most dependable hook ever for anything below surface. Price is high but very fair by industry standards.

Whilst I m on it: everything that has the word tactical appended to its name or description is generally massively overrated (and overpriced) EXCEPT Marryat’s Tactical rod series
i agree with your point about the danielsson reels, they really are a job for life.
RODS - I bought a small shakespeare 7 foot no3 rod recently with a nice deep slow action...a joy to use. i have the expensive sage and loomis rods that seem to be made for casting! rather than fishing... If i had my time over i would`ent have wasted money on those expensive casting tools. however i do really like my old sage XP compared to my newer sage x.

bonefishblues

Prompted by the above. Rods which are the newest and bestest with nanos and techno-tacticals, and taper optimisation and type 4702.17 anodisation on the fly keeper and sh1t.

Because newer, not really better.

Rob_N

A thumbs down from me for Wychwood Rover nets.

The concept is excellent, in fact the largest model - on paper - offers everything a stillwater angler could ask, whether fishing from bank or boat. But it's badly let down by poor details in execution. The head is fixed to the telescopic pole by just a single pop rivet, and when (not if) said rivet snaps, goodnight Vienna. The pole itself is made of thin-walled aluminium tube and if you manage to bend it it you won't fully straighten it again, compromising the telescopic. Compare and contrast with the battleship build quality of a Maclean or Sharpes offering.
A thumbs down from me too on the Wynchwood Rover net. The rivet is poorly designed / made. The rivet works loose and i have to push it back in. Only a matter of time before it falls out and it gets lost. I told Wynchwood- they weren’t interested.

Latest posts