Under rated tackle and over rated tackle

Cam

Years ago I bought a pair of Aigle Parcours and one of them soon started leaking too, although the neoprene lined version seems to have reasonable reviews. As for Muckboot wellies, I had to throw mine away after just over a year as the neoprene leg started to detach from the rubberised foot section. They were comfy enough but I wouldn't risk buying another pair after that as they weren't particularly cheap.
My Aigle Parcours Outlasts are about 4 year old and still going strong they are expensive but i will get another pair when the current ones wear out

peal man

I own Hardy, Orvis and Sharpes rods / reels, but can honestly say when i started in my early days of angling, i used Shakespeare and KP Morritt (bfr) , capable of doing exactly the same thing.
Yes casting distance improved with the more expensive tackle, but comparing prices, i still rate Shakespeare highly. and the BFR also.

running bear

Underrated, Amnesia, clear for butt sections, and in red for nymphing butt sections.

Underrated, Orvis BBS reels for 9' 4wt rods and below, all you'll ever need

Fly lines, the old shakespeare gliders were underrated, very good lines.
The ice blue hardy premium lines have lasted longer than any other line i've owned, and were probably only a mid range line.

Underrated, i know its a high mid range rod, but the hardy demon sintrix never gets a mention in that price bracket. The scott flex for those liking something a little slower is another exceptional rod in that price range, but neither appear to have the cool factor.

Overrated, Shakey Oracle salmon rods, horrible fragile and noodle like. Shakey agility rods, i dont get them, disjointed is the best way i can describe how they feel to me.

Last edited:

Rob_N

Under rated (by some):
Line trays - I recently watched a chap fishing off the bank (wading) at Rutland. Loomis GLX distance, Wynchwood rocket taper line, just had a casting lesson to improve his distance. But no line tray. The drag on the running line was restricting his line shooting. Less than half the people I see off the bank use a line tray. I don’t understand it.

squimp

Some under-rated stuff I like:
buying used gear - lots of bargains out there as people ‘upgrade’
Aigle neoprene wellies. On my 4th pair, I get 3 years out of a pair and they get used a lot.
St Croix rods, I bought a used Legend Elite and it is superb.
Atomsix rods.
Koma reels.
coarse fishing hooks for heavy fly tieing jobs
soft plus Fluoro
Airflo saltwater floating lines.
Orvis customer service

Stuff I’m not keen on:
TFO rods - owned one and tried lots, not impressed.
Hunter and Dubarry boots - not fit for purpose.
Rio lines - simply too dear.
Sierra customer service.
Abel reels.
Anything that says ‘Simms’ on it.

pati

Overrated: « made in America ». Don’t get me wrong, a lot of good stuff comes from the US, but the label itself is very overrated with a lot of vastly overpriced mid range/low quality stuff piggybacking on that label...

Underrated: Made in Korea rods. People tend to mistake Korea for China... Two of the most advanced rod making shops are actually in Korea and make rods for Loop, Hardy, Douglas, Guideline etc which are on par with the best rods from US makers. (The design is however typically done in the home country of the brand)

skajtrout

Underrated - Redington Hydrogen, best rod I’ve ever had and I’m the only person who seems to own one.

Overrated - Mclean nets, why oh why do they all have short handles, not to mention that God-awful knotless mesh they insist on using. You’d think they’d be using rubber mesh across the board in this day and age, have they not heard of c & r? Give me a Wychwood Boatman all day long.

Skaj

Last edited:

icejohn

Orvis superfine original versions. Seriously underrated at the time but delight to fish with.

Barbour wax jackets eventually got one by accident in my procession and love it. Underrated for sure... Well I did for years until I owned one.

Abel nippers overated by many, yet I would buy another pair if I ever lost my currant pair tomorrow.

Paul_B

I'd pay another fiver for my nail clippers if I lost them, oh and Id buy another £2 lanyard 🤪
DSC_0577.JPG