Under rated tackle and over rated tackle

Rhithrogena

I used them for saltwater when first got into it and they are indestructible incredible value have a bunch of them lying around the place somewhere and still functioning perfectly
Seconded. Good reels for the salt for sure.....

richardgw

Anything that does its job over and over again and is appropriately priced gets my vote. All these four were bought new in sales as they were being phased out.

9ft Orvis Silver Label 4 piece 7 weight. Bought 2001 and still in regular .use. Super mid action rod perfect for small river sea trout.

Snowbee wading jacket, 10 years and still waterproof although the cuffs are freying with age.

Simms Freestone Wading boots – heavy but several years constant use on three different pairs of waders and still going strong but now showing age. By contrast the Simms Freestone waders lasted only two years and are not recommended.

On the wader front I’ve had Daiwa Lightweights in constant use for 6 years and it is only this year that the aquasure is starting to be applied – sign of end of life so new pair of Guidelines (again a sale item) in reserve.

Oldbones

Underrated, Cortland floating fly lines, had them ten years, I do look after them, cleaned and lubricated every season end and start, never had any problems and they are as good as they were on day one.
Overrated, Whyncwood River and Stream reel in the 2/3 size, it was and may still be the lightest fly reel out there and its a good looking thing, but the drag system on it is very poor for a reel in that price range. The drag is useless, so bad that the line unwinds from the reel as you walk along.
Its an ornament now and has been replaced with an Orvis Battenkill I, now that reel is one of the most underrated pieces of fly fishing kit ever.

bbamboo

Lots of posts about orvis battenkill reels been under rated, I must have missed something in my absence, when did they become underrated 🤔

sean freeman

Overrated: « made in America ». Don’t get me wrong, a lot of good stuff comes from the US, but the label itself is very overrated with a lot of vastly overpriced mid range/low quality stuff piggybacking on that label...

Underrated: Made in Korea rods. People tend to mistake Korea for China... Two of the most advanced rod making shops are actually in Korea and make rods for Loop, Hardy, Douglas, Guideline etc which are on par with the best rods from US makers. (The design is however typically done in the home country of the brand)
Korean made tackle is good but when spare sections run out for a discontinued rod then you have no other option than to buy another. Most of the decent American firms will roll you a new section from scratch. I’d rather keep my old favourite rod than chance a newer one I might not like.

Modern Epic rods are one I’d throw in the ring for being overrated, no character since going with faster Korean made blanks, the CTS produced ones were gems.

I feel like a lot of people hate the bigger American brands due to their sheer popularity and prohibitive pricing for the top models but the majority of their products are very good and are backed up with lifetime warranties.

pati

Hi Sean

Try and get Loomis rolling you a lot a tip section for a 10’ 5wt Classic GLX... They won’t!!! They may do on an NRX as it is still in production but they no longer do on our of production rods, same with Scott, T&T or Winston... I honnestly doubt Sage would either... they all typically have a stock of spares but once that is exhausted it is over! The day where they were rolling sections of old rods are looooong gone!!! They can hardly cope with demand with Scott currently on weeks of backorder on the centric as an example...The likes of Loop and Hardy to mention a couple of top profile brands using Korean shops will not roll you a section either for anything out of production but will most likely offer the current equivalent in their range for replacement. Depending on what their current range is it may be a big win (think about replacing a loop grey line with a Cross SX) or a big loss (think about replacing a Hardy Angel 2 Smuggler with current Demon Smuggler)....

As to Epic, I have heard their latest Graphene blank might be the only thing rivalling Loomis’ Asquith, but I haven’t tried either....

patk

Hi Sean

Try and get Loomis rolling you a lot a tip section for a 10’ 5wt Classic GLX... They won’t!!! They may do on an NRX as it is still in production but they no longer do on our of production rods, same with Scott, T&T or Winston... I honnestly doubt Sage would either... they all typically have a stock of spares but once that is exhausted it is over! The day where they were rolling sections of old rods are looooong gone!!! They can hardly cope with demand with Scott currently on weeks of backorder on the centric as an example...The likes of Loop and Hardy to mention a couple of top profile brands using Korean shops will not roll you a section either for anything out of production but will most likely offer the current equivalent in their range for replacement. Depending on what their current range is it may be a big win (think about replacing a loop grey line with a Cross SX) or a big loss (think about replacing a Hardy Angel 2 Smuggler with current Demon Smuggler)....

As to Epic, I have heard their latest Graphene blank might be the only thing rivalling Loomis’ Asquith, but I haven’t tried either....
Sage will send you a section of any rod from anytime. wait can be very long but they do.

Scotty Mitchell

Hi Sean

My mate very recently got a top section for his Z Axis rolled, no problem. He did wait something like 6 weeks on it but he was told that up front.

pati

Sage will send you a section of any rod from anytime. wait can be very long but they do.
My mate very recently got a top section for his Z Axis rolled, no problem. He did wait something like 6 weeks on it but he was told that up front.

That's great from Sage!

On my side Loomis refused to roll me new sections on GLX rods, and so did Scott on original G Power Ply...

Vintage Badger

Yes, and in the UK they will charge you £150 for the privilege for any rod older than 10 years from year of final production... or £300 for "Obsolete models that require upgrade". There's also no guarantee of a good colour match for the new rod section either! So perhaps I can be forgiven for asking if this can really be described as a 'lifetime warranty', or simply buying a new rod section from Sage?

Last edited:

patk

Yes, and in the UK they will charge you £150 for the privilege for any rod older than 10 years from year of final production... or £300 for "Obsolete models that require upgrade". There's also no guarantee of a good colour match for the new rod section either! So perhaps I can be forgiven for asking if this can really be described as a 'lifetime warranty', or simply buying a new rod section from Sage?
Ive always gone directly to washington from Ireland had sections for RPLs Xi2 XP over the years for 50 euro or so including postage. Long wait but brilliant to deal with. Always perfect match sending broken section one one occasion they sent me a full rod rather than a section.

Vintage Badger

Ive always gone directly to washington from Ireland had sections for RPLs Xi2 XP over the years for 50 euro or so including postage. Long wait but brilliant to deal with. Always perfect match sending broken section one one occasion they sent me a full rod rather than a section.
You've either been lucky or your rod was a current or recent model at the time, the sections of which apparently cost significantly less. Anything over 10 years past its last year of manufacture and it's £150, or £300 for an obsolete upgrade! Still, at least they found me a replacement section, so I suppose I can't complain too much. However, I'll take the words 'lifetime warranty' with a pinch of salt next time I buy a fly rod!

patk

You've either been lucky or your rod was a current or recent model at the time, the sections of which apparently cost significantly less. Anything over 10 years past its last year of manufacture and it's £150, or £300 for an obsolete upgrade! Still, at least they found me a replacement section, so I suppose I can't complain too much. However, I'll take the words 'lifetime warranty' with a pinch of salt next time I buy a fly rod!
Had an RPL section replaced last year as described for 50 maybe 60 euro. Never heard from them the obsolete word. I had many email conversations and told me they had the facility to make any rod they ever produced. Maybe i was lucky.

Vintage Badger

Had an RPL section replaced last year as described for 50 maybe 60 euro. Never heard from them the obsolete word. I had many email conversations and told me they had the facility to make any rod they ever produced. Maybe i was lucky.
Sounds like it! This is the return form from the UK distributors for Sage; you can see for yourself the wording and the costs for repair/replacement (page 2) https://www.guideflyfishing.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2021-SAGE-Return-Form.pdf

If I break it again I think I'll have to send the rod to you and you can send it off to Sage for me! ;)

raphael

Mmmm... What shall be understood as "over" or "under" rated?
Does this mean:
- something of good or bad value for the money?
- something that few people are using or speaking about but shall deserve better popularity, or something everybody is getting but that is not worth at all?
- something of high quality but too expensive anyway?
It looks many people there do not give the same meaning...

R

Latest posts