Understanding Carbon Trout Rods

karlsson

As it's defined a stiff thing will always have more 'power' if you can bend it enough to be useful to the function, but how much 'power' do you need? the average river fisher for example would probably choose something that bends easier at short distances, effectively less 'power'.
Are you saying rods are big springs?

Cheers
Lasse

LukeNZ

As it's defined a stiff thing will always have more 'power' if you can bend it enough to be useful to the function, but how much 'power' do you need? the average river fisher for example would probably choose something that bends easier at short distances, effectively less 'power'.

The rod possesses zero power. It is merely the link that connects the power to the line.

The more rigid the rod the greater the energy transfer - less loss from damping (rod flex).

🙃

ohanzee

The rod possesses zero power. It is merely the link that connects the power to the line.

The more rigid the rod the greater the energy transfer - less loss from damping (rod flex).

🙃

I prefer slightly bendy to rigid myself, find it smoother.

LukeNZ

Fly rods only posses the inherent ability to lose ‘power’.

Edit: ‘power’,as in; that which the caster imparts (the rod doesn’t have any).

🙃

Last edited:

ohanzee

Still cant understand why some folks think a stiff rod, or a fast action rod has more power than a bendy rod, or slow action one!

'Power' as defined by resistance to flexing under load, i.e. irrespective of action.

LukeNZ

Thought you said they didn't have power, how do they lose it if they didn't have it :unsure:
They reduce the power you transfer through them. They cannot be 100% efficient. In absolute terms, nothing can (obviously..).

I have edited my previous statement, as it was slightly ambiguous, I am assuming, from your comment.

🙃

LukeNZ

A flexible or ‘slow action’ rod can transfer as much power to the line as a stiff ‘fast action’ rod, if more power is added by the caster to overcome the power lost by the slower/softer/more bendy slow action rod.

They can both cast the same line the same distance, if the caster has the understanding and skill. Certainly to cast the full std. length of a fly line.

Clearly a stiff rod will cast the farthest ultimately, due to the physical limitations of the caster to impart ever greater power to the soft rod.

Every rod I have ever owned, could put out a minimum of a full std. line beyond the tip ring. It is easier with some rods than others obviously, but eminently doable. (shorter rods require the most added motion from the caster, in order to transfer the energy through the rod to the line - the caster has to be even more of a spring, as it were).

🙃

Last edited:

LukeNZ

Resistance is what stiffness gives you, which loses less of the power according to you.
Input power, minus resistance = output power, in simplistic terms.

You are talking about resistance to bending, I am talking about resistance to power delivery.

🙃

ohanzee

Input power, minus resistance = output power, in simplistic terms.

You are talking about resistance to bending, I am talking about resistance to power delivery.

🙃

What is resistance to power delivery?

ohanzee

Resistance to bending is stiffness.

Resistance to power delivery is trying to stop the postman forcing a parcel through your letterbox.

ohanzee

You might want to pick up a few d/h salmon rods, and spey cast them.
Stiffness = power? My erse.

I'm just quoting the definitions given, and what Tangled is going by as far as I can see.

When we pick up a rod we want one bendy enough that lets us make the stroke easy, and stiff enough to be able to resist our power and the weight of line on it, it's a fine balance within those parameters.