Understanding Carbon Trout Rods

Tangled

These are the first three sentences of this thread, now some 92 pages and 1833 posts long.

'Ultracrepidarian' means 'someone in the habit of giving advice on matters he knows nothing about.' Do we really need 92 pages to know this?
Bloody hell, it took you almost 2,000 posts to notice that? No wonder you're struggling. Still, I'm pleased you've actually started to read it.

I assumed that almost nobody would know what that word meant and have to look it up so that they would then get the fact that an experienced but amateur angler was setting out to develop a subject to a point were it was as complete as it's possible to be on a forum like this. And that it required input from others to get it right. You'll note that the second part says

'but maybe you can help me by responding in the thread below'

Which many people did and have been really useful in developing the post to a point where it's pretty damn good actually. But if it can be improved, I'll happily correct anything factually wrong.

ed_t

Golf handicap system to equalise fishermen.

If you are casting bellow scratch, your line # will be less than rod #.

If you are casting at scratch then you line # will be the same as rod #

if you are above scratch then your handicap will determine a line # above your rod #

🙃
indeed, Perhaps we should all aspire to be tangled's "average" fisherman.

LukeNZ

Bloody hell, it took you almost 2,000 posts to notice that? No wonder you're struggling. Still, I'm pleased you've actually started to read it.

I assumed that almost nobody would know what that word meant and have to look it up so that they would then get the fact that an experienced but amateur angler was setting out to develop a subject to a point were it was as complete as it's possible to be on a forum like this. And that it required input from others to get it right. You'll note that the second part says

'but maybe you can help me by responding in the thread below'

Which many people did and have been really useful in developing the post to a point where it's pretty damn good actually. But if it can be improved, I'll happily correct anything factually wrong.
Correct references to rod 'power', perhaps consider design loading, or similar?

Rhithrogena

One day soon all fly rods will have a suggested casting weight range on them, just like other casting rods do (lure, bait, d/h fly). A single AFFTA rating is phoney. People asking if this or that line will work on their rod, should I over or underline it etc... Phooey!!
And if all lines actually stated the weight of the head (maybe the whole bloody thing actually, esp. for a DT) we wouldn't have the overly complex state of affairs we are in now. Spey+skagit+scandi (yes and trout spey LNZ!) makers know this to be true and the good news will spread.
Hallelujah!!

ed_t

One day soon all fly rods will have a suggested casting weight range on them, just like other casting rods do (lure, bait, d/h fly). A single AFFTA rating is phoney. People asking if this or that line will work on their rod, should I over or underline it etc... Phooey!!
And if all lines actually stated the weight of the head (maybe the whole bloody thing actually, esp. for a DT) we wouldn't have the overly complex state of affairs we are in now. Spey+skagit+scandi (yes and trout spey LNZ!) makers know this to be true and the good news will spread.
Hallelujah!!
I just wonder where all this information can be written on a blank. Do we need an extra keeper ring to hang the tangled test data laminated data sheet on the rod?

What happens if you lose the data sheet? Is there a central library?

Can we have a simple system? Lawks oh law, something like a digit and hash...

karlsson

Do they break if you use the wrong line?

Actually, who asks what line you were using in a warranty claim??
I really doubt they do, but there's always a first 🤣

And this is from their warrenty page...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210804-235430_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210804-235430_Chrome.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 30

karlsson

The answer would be of course, as warranties go! Yo were using a #5, ok you can put it all out and it becomes an #8.! but warranty says 5 you are using 5 who is to say otherwise?
The rod said 12 grams on the side of it, I am asking if DT5 is ok, since it only weighs 9,1 grams at 9,14 meters ....

And double 9,1 is 18,2 and that's a bit more than the 13,6 a 8 weight should weigh 😉

Cheers
Lasse

Rhithrogena

I just wonder where all this information can be written on a blank
Wait, maybe they could do something like this?
Screenshot_20210805-042348.png

I've said this up thread more than once, for a fly rod:
9' Fast #5 8-18g
Having the action printed on might help with 2nd hand sales, but not essential since I am already holding the rod and can wiggle it!!
Hell, they could put a QI code on it to scan on your phone these days 😂

Joking apart, I have a couple of dozen fly rods and rarely use the line # printed on most...
I have loads of lure rods too and pretty much always use a lure in the suggested range. Amazing really 😉

LukeNZ

Hallelujah!!

Single hand trout sized rods simply don’t need it. It is merely splitting hairs.

And to be honest, I really don’t take too much notice of grain range on 2 handed trout rods. Once I know the rod makers intended line #, I experiment around that, with different lines and profiles until I find the rod’s mojo in my hands. It may or may not correspond to what they rate it’s load range as. It doesn’t matter, it’s just an indicator.

Pretending that a seemingly accurate grain number more accurately describes a rod than say #5wt. is nonsense.

The fast #5wt. that Tangled deems to be #7wt. will still be classified with a grain # wt. by the manufacturer that corresponds to #5wt. because that is the manufacturers marketing/design performance intention for that performance rod model.

Nothing like just trying a few lines, and then judge for yourself - one man’s meat is another man’s poison. But you certainly don’t need to cover a rod in all sorts of weight / load information; just it’s nominal intended load #5, or if it’s a bit in between 4/5wt. etc.,.

It is a simple thing, no need to buy into additional layers of fashionable BS. just to find yet another point of difference to sell bendy carbon tubing..

🙃

Last edited:

Tangled

You should focus on practice with a fly rod, rather than your keyboard wit.

It will improve your content no end….

🙃
All mouth and trousers...

I'll repeat the offer. "Quote the section, show where it's wrong and how it can be improved."
You said that the section on power was wrong. So show me.

Rhithrogena

I totally agree on
Single hand trout sized rods simply don’t need it. It is merely splitting hairs.

And to be honest, I really don’t take too much notice of grain range on 2 handed trout rods. Once I know the rod makers intended line #, I experiment around that, with different lines and profiles until I find the rod’s mojo in my hands. It may or may not correspond to what they rate it’s load range as. It doesn’t matter, it’s just an indicator.

Pretending that a seemingly accurate grain number more accurately describes a rod than say #5wt. is nonsense.

The fast #5wt. that Tangled deems to be #7wt. will still be classified with a grain # wt. by the manufacturer that corresponds to #5wt. because that is the manufacturers marketing/design performance intention for that performance rod model.

Nothing like just trying a few lines, and then judge for yourself - one man’s meat is another man’s poison. But you certainly don’t need to cover a rod in all sorts of weight / load information; just it’s nominal intended load #5, or if it’s a bit in between 4/5wt. etc.,.

It is a simple thing, no need to buy into additional layers of fashionable BS. just to find yet another point of difference to sell bendy carbon tubing..

🙃
I totally agree with the need to try a few lines and find out what the rod likes. But that is nuts. I don't have to do this with any of my lure rods (or any of my 80's rods marked with a range of line #'s).
It's not a huge problem, but it does mean I am uncertain before I buy, and if I haven't been able to try before I buy, well there's an impasse.