Understanding Carbon Trout Rods

LukeNZ

I totally agree on
I totally agree with the need to try a few lines and find out what the rod likes. But that is nuts. I don't have to do this with any of my lure rods (or any of my 80's rods marked with a range of line #'s).
It's not a huge problem, but it does mean I am uncertain before I buy, and if I haven't been able to try before I buy, well there's an impasse.

There is no uncertainty, as the manufacturer intends the rod to perform as advertised with a #5 line. All #5 lines then have their own hoodoo, so you try the #5 line with the marketing hype that appeals to your sensibilities, or lack of..

🙃

LukeNZ

Case proven that you have no theory then. All that talk, then nothing…
Ha ha! You reffered me to the section on rod power....

I think you mean rod load.... you know - #wt.

Remember, rods posses no power - just less or more resistance to it....

Your university (Google) will explain it for you, when you learn how to search minus your own theory bias...

All Google and no idea, an intellectual, nor expert, doth not make...🤣

Last edited:

karlsson

Well there you have it, the Rio Grand or similar voids the rods warranty, what does Rio say?
I'm quite sure Rio doesn't care 🤣
And I am definetly not buying a brand that knows that little about tackle as that rod maker ... but they do state the casting weight in grams and grains in their rods, something some are asking for....

Cheers
Lasse

LukeNZ

I'm quite sure Rio doesn't care 🤣
And I am definetly not buying a brand that knows that little about tackle as that rod maker ... but they do state the casting weight in grams and grains in their rods, something some are asking for....

Cheers
Lasse
Which company had their name on that rod - Echo, Maxcatch, or similar...?
I was going to ask who was the manufacturer, but that may or may not be the same as the branding and thus, warranty provider..

🙃

Last edited:

Rhithrogena

There is no uncertainty, as the manufacturer intends the rod to perform as advertised with a #5 line. All #5 lines then have their own hoodoo, so you try the #5 line with the marketing hype that appeals to your sensibilities, or lack of..

🙃
Yeah, but no, but yeah 😂

LukeNZ

Yeah, but no, but yeah 😂
No amount of numbers however seemingly accurate can determine fly line castability for the individual... #5wt. means try your prefferance of #5wt. line.

It will probably load and feel as you expect it to, surely?

🙃

Last edited:

Rhithrogena

No amount of numbers however seemingly accurate can determine fly line castability for the individual... #5wt. means try your prefferance of #5wt. line.

It will probably load and feel as you expect it to, surely?

🙃
Yes, for sure. But I feel I could give a suggested grams weight range for a rod after casting it for 5 mins...
Most line makers give me the weight in grams, why can't the rod builder give me that?
It just makes more sense than a single line # for me. I really think lits of people only ever fish a 5# line on a 5# rod, for example 😳

LukeNZ

Yes, for sure. But I feel I could give a suggested grams weight range for a rod after casting it for 5 mins...
Most line makers give me the weight in grams, why can't the rod builder give me that?
It just makes more sense than a single line # for me. I really think lits of people only ever fish a 5# line on a 5# rod, for example 😳
Well, using the line # wt on the rod will deliver the rod makers intention. Why did you choose that make/model rod?

After that, you are searching for your own expression with it - with either specially weighted and profiled #5wt. lines, or trying 3-7wt. etc... depending on your own intention; after experiencing the makers take?
🙃

Last edited:

karlsson

Which company had their name on that rod - Echo, Maxcatch, or similar...?
I was going to ask who was the manufacturer, but that may or may not be the same as the branding and thus, warranty provider..

🙃
Na, Tim's a good friend, and he would only write that kind of bs in irony... Leichii might copy them, but I doubt they would see a seller in that kind of warranty 🤣 its a scandi brand, I didnt say the name, because it has no purpose in this thread.

Cheers
Lasse

Tangled

I have had a read through that Tangled and there is certainly less controversial material in that presentation.
More likely you've just started to get used to the material and begun to understand it. But I'm pleased you've actually read it.
But still need to be mindful of your opinions and interpretations in some areas.
To be useful, you need to point out exactly what it is you disagree with and provide an evidence based reason for it. THEN I'll listen.
You really do have time to burn, ay!!?

🙃
We call it the pandemic.

ed_t

More likely you've just started to get used to the material and begun to understand it. But I'm pleased you've actually read it.

To be useful, you need to point out exactly what it is you disagree with and provide an evidence based reason for it. THEN I'll listen.

We call it the pandemic.
I believe Taffy was suggesting a section specifically for lines to match carbon rods...

LukeNZ

No I still dont understand it the way you do.. ?
Shouldn't the material be fact checked before you include it, rather than rely on your facts being something nobody can be bothered to challenge?
We call it the pandemic.
You seem to have transitioned from going fishing, to become a chat forum fiction novelist...

🙃

Tangled

No I still dont understand it the way you do.. ?
So much is obvious.
Shouldn't the material be fact checked before you include it, rather than rely on your facts being something nobody can be bothered to challenge?
If you read the very first two sentences - I really hope you got that far - you'll see it says ...

"This article is still being edited and added to. Please contribute if you can."

... and I meant it.

All the "understandings" have been helped by members' contributions - one way or another. Often another. I doubt there's anyone here that can cover the full range of fishing that's done but between us there's a massive amount of experience that can be shared if we've a mind to.

I still have hopes that one day you'll actually add something useful but it's rather forlorn, you prefer the contentless, bait and troll crap like this:

"You seem to have transitioned from going fishing, to become a chat forum fiction novelist..."

I'm hoping you can grow out of it.

ed_t

That would be a tough but interesting project...
It would seem to be where you have arrived with your understanding, to whit your own understanding of carbon rods and fly lines in these posts.