Understanding Casting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangled

"In windy weather, and in moving situations such as boat fishing or float-tubing and when amongst trees, bushes, fences or other obstructions the angler will have to constantly adjust for these circumstances. All guidance given in the earlier sections of advice is of a general nature. A flexible approach will be essential whilst fishing."
That might cover it !! 😃

Well ok, but so much is self-evident, I was hoping for descriptions of techniques that could be used when confronted by these circumstances if they're sufficient to warrant it.

Last edited:

Bobfly2

It can only be by practice of the basics then getting out frequently and fishing in the widest range of circumstances. Boat and float tube can often require holding line in the air until you sense the timing of power delivery and direction. Spending many casting hours and not fishing seems to be the wrong end of the telescope for me.

ohanzee

Spending many casting hours and not fishing seems to be the wrong end of the telescope for me.

I don't think anyone is suggesting 'many hours', and certainly not at the expense of fishing time, fixing things and casting better just helps you fish better, some find that worth an hour here and there.

Bobfly2

But how many hours over the years were spent at your casting club, not spent angling? How many angling hours spent in recent years not spent just casting?

LukeNZ

If I said that in my day job I'd be suspended, the slowest way to learn anything is just keep doing it till it looks about right.
But, the difference between that and your day job, is that you only have to make yourself happy with the results, and you can take as much time as you like 👍

LukeNZ

W
But how many hours over the years were spent at your casting club, not spent angling? How many angling hours spent in recent years not spent just casting?
With all the best information in the world you will not cast like a pro in an hour, after reading and digesting it.

Only practice can make perfect (relative to caster ability) of course.

🙃

ohanzee

The casting club ran for 6 years, a couple of hours every Thursday evening, usually more, you got one to one with a casting instructor, coffee when Gary's kettle worked and just a sociable evening talking fishing and casting for £1, four casting instructors qualified over that time, and a lot of beginners were motivated by it.

We also had a few that came and said they didn't need casting instruction, clearly, because they were great at fishing, great, stroll on.

ohanzee

But, the difference between that and your day job, is that you only have to make yourself happy with the results, and you can take as much time as you like 👍

I work to national standards and within 36 hours per unit, it's challenging, a paid client learning casting is intense learning with high expectations within a short paid for time, no less challenging.

Or you could look on the internet, try a few things, and muddle along, that's everyone's choice.

fishing hobo

The casting club ran for 6 years, a couple of hours every Thursday evening, usually more, you got one to one with a casting instructor, coffee when Gary's kettle worked and just a sociable evening talking fishing and casting for £1, four casting instructors qualified over that time, and a lot of beginners were motivated by it.

We also had a few that came and said they didn't need casting instruction, clearly, because they were great at fishing, great, stroll on.
So who were the instructors at the time Alan?

LukeNZ

I work to national standards and within 36 hours per unit, it's challenging, a paid client learning casting is intense learning with high expectations within a short paid for time, no less challenging.

Or you could look on the internet, try a few things, and muddle along, that's everyone's choice.
There was no internet and instruction was just from friends.

Casting skills and profficiency developed through practice and fishing.

Natural athleticism would also be a factor, along with a strong desire to be at least as good as those folks, who's casting I admired.

I was of the opinion that if my gear was the same as theirs, I must be able to get the same result - because I had seen it done.

Maybe even better, than most of them, I was stronger, more fit, and much hungrier/more driven than most of them.

I really don't think about casting any more, I do it so well; but I do still practice, or mess around some, when I am reeling in, and am done for the day. A quick burst through the casts I didn't use that day - just for the fun and enjoyment of it; and to check myself out.

A new rod might get a massive work out the first few fishing days I use it, and lots of line changes; to get the measure of it. Get to know it.

Practice, practice, practice against what you know you should see. And then ensure it happens with a deliberate relaxed ease. As it easy when you know what you are doing to power through your repetoir.

🙃

geenomad

This really rings true with me. I used to teach people photography(in film days) when we had beginers loading tanks cutting the film and working into small slots over ball bearings. I’d tell them that though it’s completely dark ..Close their Eyes.
Always nice when that happens. Pleased that it did resonate for you. And yes what you say makes sense in that sight is our dominant sense but when it's not available we can shift the emphasis to another sense. Once upon a time I used to fish on nights so dark that casting was less informed by sight and more by "feel". Had to shorten up to keep things in order.

Cheers
Mark

Tangled

I need to add a section about practicing. Any online content you've found would be useful.

You don't need to practice. I suspect that hardly any anglers practice. Most just go out fishing, thrash about happily and catch fish.

But for those that take an interest in casting either for it's own sake or in order to help catch more fish by learning new casts, practice is pretty much essential.

geenomad

I'd say the real world function of power is to regulate the finite amount of muscle power or pressure we need, people that use tools know this instinctively, and apply just the right amount of pressure in a very finite way, it is efficiency and the way we use our motor skills for everything, one of the things that gives us feedback on something being right, or not quite right.
Excellent point. Hadn't thought about it before but as an amateur woodworker who now by choice uses a lot of hand tools there is an obvious connection I can now make. First, using edge tools - for example a pairing chisel - requires a lot of feel - for both the effort applied to the tool and for the grain of the wood. Second, I've been hand sharpening things since I was a child with a pen knife and after well more than half a century at it I am still learning how to control my movements better.

Cheers
Mark

Whinging pom

My two brothers are/were both scratch golfers. Niether would go out on the course without some time on range and putting surface. And practice is part of the weekly drill.

I don’t see why people should see practice as time wasted. ( bob fly).
Especially in early season I enter the stream where I know there’s a shoal of dace. I spend 15 mins or so targeting them. The take is fast and if there’s the slightest amount of slack or delay you miss them. It hones casting accuracy; the turn over; line management; and the reactions; feeling the elements. All primed and ready for moving onto the trout.
It’s my own little drill that’s provided by the particular stream , but I’m sure I’d adapt it for other waters, what’s available and the skill set required .

If I’m in the lower stream ( riffle/ pool sequences)I practice dropping some wriggles on to water while keeping a straight’ish tippet as the management of drags and feel of the current is more essential down there. Just half a dozen casts or so to get the feel before moving up to target fish and if there’s a few Dace to bother and get the ‘eye’in, all the better.

Wouldn’t it make sense to just practice longer casting in the conditions for 15 mins on a quiet bank before concentrating on fishing the reservoir/loch, or from the boat in a bay before motoring out to start fishing chosen drifts?

Last edited:

geenomad

My two brothers are/were both scratch golfers. Niether would go out on the course without some time on range and putting surface. And practice is part of the weekly drill.

Wouldn’t it make sense to just practice longer casting in the conditions for 15 mins on a quiet bank before concentrating on fishing the reservoir/loch, or from the boat in a bay before motoring out to start fishing chosen drifts?

Still on the same page mate. If you want to get serious with a skillset practicing, the right things, regularly and with purpose is essential imho. If you are happy hacking around the course or a beat, practice might seem like a diversion. All depends on your ambition and attitude but no-one gets seriously good at fly casting or golf or football or whatever without a commitment to practice. Personally, I either fish or I practice and don't mix the two unless the fishing isn't happening or likely to happen but that's just my preference. In years past I used take a few shots with a camera but in the end I realised I had to choose between a fishing session and a photographic session. Mixing the two meant I either missed fish or shots or both. :)

Cheers
Mark

Wee Jimmy

Are we not in effect, honing our casting skills every time we go fishing...?

brian_mcg

Yes,and cheaper. Why pay good money to just practice.That can be done on a lump of grass somewhere,FOC.
Yes,if we are good at it.But you may be honing faults.Amazing the amount of Anglers I see that get really good at casting bad.

I really enjoy casting ,so practicing didn't /doesn't seem like a chore.

Whinging pom

Wee Jimmy you probably are if you are self aware and improving .
I find I’m concentrating on presentation and drag compensation and stalking and catching trout and the cast just becomes intuitive and the last thing in my mind!
And then when I need to open up find I’ve grooved some bad habits in there. I start to over-power and it falls apart when I should be simply fishing .

I ve just had my first lesson in about twelve years with my original coach who can still remarkably remember my first rod , it’s physical wieght and through action and the compensations we were putting in to manage it. And what ghosts of that 9’ cane rod still haunts my action, despite spending years fishing 0wts and 2wts.
He’s just had me reducing my power and grip by about 50 % , brought my backstop forward by about ten degrees. Found a slight crooked shift at the back of the back swing and joyously in a series of medium length casts I watched myself hit the same leaf mid stream in the Thames in 9 casts out of ten … it was worth it just for that !! ( so I now know I’m physically capable at least).
Crucially what I thought was a good pause at the back was too short. ( an extra 1/4 second and so and the massage was coming through the butt, I was missing it).
So with that in mind and concentrating on a much lighter touch I’ve got something to work on without the distraction of trying to catch fish.
The aim is to keep it up over the close season a few short sessions a week to try and get it back to point where I can cast in polite company without feeling totally humiliated or being too embarrassed to turn up 😀.
Seriously if it stuffs up covering a fish then like a bad golf shot I tend to carry if under my skin for the rest of the session and it eats my confidence. When I’m on a trout I just want to intuitively put the fly down how and where I want it. For me that state is maintained by practice and acknowledging my faults and working out how they are happening.

Last edited:

PaulD

The verb to hone means to sharpen skills, to work hard to perfect the skills needed for the activity - fishing is about catching fish. Premiership footballers are some of the best players in the world, why don't they just play, why do they train and continually practice their skills?

Learning to cast is an education and a limited definition of 'education' is the 'process of receiving or giving systematic instruction', but like most things in life that is not a limited experience, we can continue to learn and casting is the same and a more encompassing definition is when we consider education to be 'an enlightening experience.'

If we go fishing and find we have a troublesome wind blowing over our right shoulder, a headwind or need to be able to cast 5 yards further are we better prepared because we've fished every day that week?

If you change nothing, nothing will change - and this is a problem for a lot of people who want to practice their casting. Repetition isn't practising and doesn't lead to improvement, you need to be able to break down the casting action into its component parts and develop the skills to improve the parts that are limiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.