Understanding Casting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohanzee

Like I say, just irritating noise.

You lack the key ingredient for learning, without humility you will always know better, and learn less.

It's becoming clear that what we are discussing in terms of SLP and tails is your misunderstanding of what these things mean, the SLP is only when the power is on and line is only towed until it overtakes the rod tip, would it not be easier to just ask what these things mean before pondering it for a dozen posts?

Last edited:

brian_mcg

You lack the key ingredient for learning, without humility you will always know better, and learn less.
But he(Tangled aka "the plant") no I wont apologise, does the Job that he is employed to do......... Irritate and provoke.You guys fall for it. Look, James is at the top of his game.He is a scientist, knows these things about loop propagation etc. He is also a great caster,but still Tangled tries to provoke him,nearly succeded. If ever you need something clarified regarding what is happening (physics wise)then he is the man to contact. Tails have been done to death.There should be two threads.Understading Casting,from a physics perspective,and Understanding casting,from a fishing perspective.Yes they can be seperated. I teach people to cast,or did,and got bye without much of this terminology etc.

ohanzee

But he(Tangled aka "the plant") no I wont apologise, does the Job that he is employed to do......... Irritate and provoke.You guys fall for it. Look, James is at the top of his game.He is a scientist, knows these things about loop propagation etc. He is also a great caster,but still Tangled tries to provoke him,nearly succeded. If ever you need something clarified regarding what is happening (physics wise)then he is the man to contact. Tails have been done to death.There should be two threads.Understading Casting,from a physics perspective,and Understanding casting,from a fishing perspective.Yes they can be seperated. I teach people to cast,or did,and got bye without much of this terminology etc.

I quite like the physics aspect(not that we have got into physics here) it explains what I see but learning to cast will always be primarily a physical skill transfer from those that can to those that want to, I reckon you can do anything in three sessions with someone that can do the thing.

And what do you mean 'did'? if you lost both your arms you would still inspire and teach others.

ohanzee

You. I used to think you were a troll, now I know your just a 12 year old half wit who didn't get hugged enough as a baby.

Talking of hugging babies. did your new rod arrive?

Rhithrogena

Obviously the entire system is also losing energy as the wave moves forward too.
Cleverly, the fly leg is getting lighter as the cast progresses, so this still leaves enough momentum to turn over what is left. With the nicety of judgement that comes with practice we are able to manipulate the line speed to control this to perfectly land our fly.

Tangled

Cleverly, the fly leg is getting lighter as the cast progresses, so this still leaves enough momentum to turn over what is left. With the nicety of judgement that comes with practice we are able to manipulate the line speed to control this to perfectly land our fly.

Isn't art plus science just the very best thing?
Why would anybody want movement without meaning, doing without understanding what your doing?

Oh, I know!

andygrey

I'm guilty of early rotation when I get tired or just lazy, this can produce a tail, if I see or sense my doing it I fix it mid cast with the haul, sometimes tipping the wrist forward as I go, what I believe is happening there is I'm delaying or preventing the tip rising, an over compressed tip..then keep it compressed sort of thing.
Not sure if I understand this. Early rotation generally gives a wider loop. This brings us into the rather tangled subject (pun intended...) of is a tail a tail if the rod and fly leg don't cross each over in 2 places? ANSWER:- It is! ...sometimes referred to as a 'tailing tendency'. This is a very common misunderstanding in casting circles at all levels. When I had my very first casting lesson quite a few years ago, the instructor told me that I could avoid tails by dropping the rod-tip at the end of the cast therefore opening the loop and stopping the rod and fly leg colliding. This of course is bunkum. Once a tail is formed you can't un-form it but you can mitigate against rod and fly legs colliding. It's still a tail though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts