Understanding flies

Rob Edmunds

If you give me some info like the name of the water, or the size of the water, where it is situated etc....then I can help.

Waters differ depending on their location, size, depth etc....

For example southern small waters are shallower than reservoirs so warm up faster, this means buzzers tend to hatch late March early April.

On larger deep reservoirs its later, and they hatch end of April through May..

To get a better answer we need more details..

Cap'n Fishy

All that said... if you're a beginner and just wanting to connect with fish, then it's hard to beat a black/green tadpole, like wot Rob said above, fished as a single fly. Just gotta get it in the water (which can be hard enough for a beginner) and find the right depth with it.

Nail hit on head. Beginners want to get casting and catch fish. All the imitative stuff, and matching the hatch and matching the behaviour of the hatch, which is equally important if you are trying to be imitative, can come later. Get some fish in the net with a black and green tadpole, and the rest will follow.

Col

Nail hit on head. Beginners want to get casting and catch fish. All the imitative stuff, and matching the hatch and matching the behaviour of the hatch, which is equally important if you are trying to be imitative, can come later. Get some fish in the net with a black and green tadpole, and the rest will follow.

Col
Will do thanks for all the great advice guys

Jeltz

Sorry but I disagree...

If you were to fish 1 fly on a stillwater or reservoir from the start of the season to the end of the season then without doubt the best pattern would be a tadpole.

I would opt for a 2.5" black & green tadpole .

Buzzers will only be consistant between April and June......yes they will work at other times but not consistently.

A black & green tadpole will work on buzzer feeders , fry feeders in dirty water , clear water at any depth at any speed.......in cold weather, hot weather etc .......

Plus it's long marabou tail will provoke a response and induce a take when the fish don't want to feed naturally ( ie take a buzzer).

In coloured water it's also great...

Buzzers are very limited.....

I used to fish a Montana nymph which looks almost like the tadpole and the black and green colour always caught fish, but the best method of all I found was a bit of black foam fished static on a sinking line like the carp lads do zig fishing.

bear

If I just had six flies to fish all year, any small still water, it would be:

Gold head damsel
Chartreuse cats whisker
Black / green tadpole
Size 10 black buzzer
Foam daddy

I’d concentrate on being on my toes looking for fish rather than being planted in one spot. Suck it up, fish into the wind even if you’re not casting far in the colder weather.

And of course a yellow eye, orange fritz booby to ledger on a di7 ;)

If I just had six flies to fish all year, any small still water, it would be:

Gold head damsel
Chartreuse cats whisker
Black / green tadpole
Size 10 black buzzer
Foam daddy

I’d concentrate on being on my toes looking for fish rather than being planted in one spot. Suck it up, fish into the wind even if you’re not casting far in the colder weather.

And of course a yellow eye, orange fritz booby to ledger on a di7 ;)
I've been using cats whisker and other lures which is working well at the moment.when using a buzzer set up how to retrieve?ive seen some youtube videos a very slow figure of 8 and others that have been doing quick figure of 8 .what buzzers do you recommend on three fly set up?

Scotty Mitchell

If you can get a left to right breeze to cast across, do so, and let the breeze take the flies round, retrieve is just keeping tension as the flies swing round and towards the bank.
If that speed is too fast, throw in the odd mend to let the flies fish deeper.
Buzzer takes can be, in my experience, the most savage of takes, so stay on the ball or you can get your fingers burned 👍

nitsy

Having just returned to fly fishing after 25 - 30 years, I just got the latest Trout & Salmon magazine to check I've got the right flies. The latest issue has a piece on "indiepensable stillwater flies for opening day".

What I've learnt is that none of these flies is in my 30-year-old fly box, and most of them have bits of foam attached to them. Flies appear to have changed since 1990.

Tangled

Having just returned to fly fishing after 25 - 30 years, I just got the latest Trout & Salmon magazine to check I've got the right flies. The latest issue has a piece on "indiepensable stillwater flies for opening day".

What I've learnt is that none of these flies is in my 30-year-old fly box, and most of them have bits of foam attached to them. Flies appear to have changed since 1990.

Yes, but the fish haven't. What caught then will catch now - it's just fashion and marketing.

PaulD

Flies appear to have changed since 1990.

Flies change every week, every magazine issue. They're made of fur, feather, tinsel and a whole host of 21st Century materials, they're not hewn in stone.

Having said that, Mr Trout doesn't read the magazines and has never had a subscription to Trout and Salmon. presented well, MrTrout (nowadays sexually indeterminate trout) will find your 30 year old flies equally as appealing.