Understanding Fly Lines

taffy1

Why has casting suddenly appeared in an Understanding Fly Line thread? I thought this would have been more about the definitions & characteristics of a fly line to aid a novice in the choice of line chosen? The best for his ot her's situation & circumstances.

Tangled

A longer head is more stable on longer casts, more stable than a short head, I'm not sure how to prove that, I would have taken it as a given.

Why would you take it as a given if you also admit that you don't know how to demonstrate it?

Tangled

Why has casting suddenly appeared in an Understanding Fly Line thread?

It's a natural consequence of discussing line profiles - if they don't cast differently why would you buy (a) rather than (b, c, d, e or f?)

I thought this would have been more about the definitions & characteristics of a fly line to aid a novice in the choice of line chosen?The best for his ot her's situation & circumstances.

Why wouldn't how a line casts be part of that choice?

ohanzee

Why would you take it as a given if you also admit that you don't know how to demonstrate it?

I can't demonstrate it because we have no physics to show it that I know of, but we know the differences in profiles achieve different things in a cast, this is one of them, should we ignore the parts of a profile in achieving a function because we don't know how to quantify it? even though we know a long front taper/tip rolls out slower than a short one.

Tangled

I can't demonstrate it because we have no physics to show it that I know of, but we know the differences in profiles achieve different things in a cast, this is one of them, should we ignore the parts of a profile in achieving a function because we don't know how to quantify it? even though we know a long front taper/tip rolls out slower than a short one.

If what you say is real you should be able to show it empirically, not theoretically. What's stopping the manufacturers doing that?

This like casts further than that line.
This line is more accurate than that line.
This line does x

Ok, prove it.

8 out of 10 cats etc

taffy1

Exactly my point.
How many have tried the variety of multi-tip/head lines avaialable for salmon fishing? Heads.profiles & densities & the combinations that these provide. That's taking this thread way beyond many seasoned anglers. (the multi-tip lines are available for single-handed rods. Don't forget the inclusion of skagits etc.).

Tangled

How many have tried the variety of multi-tip/head lines avaialable for salmon fishing? Heads.profiles & densities & the combinations that these provide. That's taking this thread way beyond many seasoned anglers. (the multi-tip lines are available for single-handed rods. Don't forget the inclusion of skagits etc.).

I confined the thread to trout line deliberately.

Tangled

That's not dealing with Understanding Fly Lines though, is it?

It's understanding trout fly lines. It's in the very first line of the post,

“This sermon is about modern plastic fly lines used on single-handed rods, mainly for UK trout.”

If I wanted to understand salmon fly lines (i do), I'd post on the salmon forum.

ohanzee

If what you say is real you should be able to show it empirically, not theoretically. What's stopping the manufacturers doing that?

This like casts further than that line.
This line is more accurate than that line.
This line does x

Ok, prove it.

8 out of 10 cats etc

Then we have nothing to relate the profile of a line to the cast.

I'd say if you can't establish or believe what the various differences do then there is no point in having a thread on 'understanding lines'....if you can't prove the profile is related to a particular purpose then what does the beginner get? just different ones..that might do different things?

Last edited:

taffy1

It's understanding trout fly lines. It's in the very first line of the post,

“This sermon is about modern plastic fly lines used on single-handed rods, mainly for UK trout.”

If I wanted to understand salmon fly lines (i do), I'd post on the salmon forum.
Then there's those who want to just start out salmon fishing...

Tangled

Then we have nothing to relate the profile of a line to the cast.

That's a damning admission. (Which also feels incorrect).

I'd say if you can't establish or believe what the various differences do then there is no point in having a thread on 'understanding lines'..we obviously can't prove we do for the purpose they are intended for.

If you can't actually prove a claim, why would anyone believe it? Are you saying that the claims made for these lines are a matter of belief rather than demonstrable fact?

Tangled

Then there's those who want to just start out salmon fishing...

Then they'll have to wait for me to get round to doing that one too. Unless someone else wants to do it. (I'd be grateful, this is hard work).

taffy1

Then they'll have to wait for me to get round to doing that one too. Unless someone else wants to do it. (I'd be grateful, this is hard work).
It certainly is, there are so many out there & I reckon the marketing people have a head start on our attempt to draw a conclusion.

ohanzee

That's a damning admission. (Which also feels incorrect).

If you can't actually prove a claim, why would anyone believe it? Are you saying that the claims made for these lines are a matter of belief rather than demonstrable fact?

I think it is incorrect, I think we can absolutely say that the profile of the line relates to how the cast behaves, you seem to think we are unable to say that.

You could ask on sexyloops for a physics casting expert to verify it, but I hope your reluctance is not because the marketing blurb is fairly accurate in describing what a given profile does.

ohanzee

It certainly is, there are so many out there & I reckon the marketing people have a head start on our attempt to draw a conclusion.

I didn't know that when I read it, and I'd say that its not untrue(I'd switch out the meaningless suggestive words)

If we are to just reject everything as 'marketing' therefore obviously untrue, then you end up with denying things that are.

taffy1

I didn't know that when I read it, and I'd say that its not untrue(I'd switch out the meaningless suggestive words)

If we are to just reject everything as 'marketing' therefore obviously untrue, then you end up with denying things that are.

Where do you, as an angler, decide that for yourself? Keep buying & trying lines?

Latest posts