Understanding Fly Lines

ohanzee

I maybe went too far in hoping that individual sections of a profile could be explained, giving the beginner a 'build your own ideal line for you' sort of formula....need to turn over a big fly? ok short front taper/tip check, ok how long a belly do I need...sort of thinking, I do this in my head when I look at lines, perhaps it doesn't translate to paper.

tangled

ohanzee

I think I've found what I need

Yes, its well thought out and written, how come they don't have to prove it? :whistle:

ohanzee

Remember to credit sources, copyright permissions where required.

tangled

Yes, its well thought out and written, how come they don't have to prove it? :whistle:

Because I believe the story ... but wouldn't it be great if someone actually put those claims to the test and proved them?

tangled

Think if you asked "dad" to take you out, and show you the way lines work, (i.e "prove it"), you might just learn some things about lines, and how they work.
Bert

I'm sure I would. But there’s nowt he can tell me about copyright, son.

ohanzee

Because I believe the story ... but wouldn't it be great if someone actually put those claims to the test and proved them?

Yes it would be good if a physics expert did that, like they er..do on sexyloops.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Bit derogative calling a stranger "son" dont you think. Especially someone of my age!
And besides, what has copyright got to do with fly line profiles in action being displayed to you in the flesh?
He just reminded you of the nicieties of quoting copyright, after having being told "prove it" for so many suggestions re line profiles working whatever way.
Again, try him out and see, you might perhaps, learn about them.

Bert

ohanzee

Ah hold on there, little known fact, I am actually a qualified intellectual property rights expert, Copyright is but a small bottom drawer in my cabinet of creative protections.

I'm not sure about Bert's claim though, I might struggle there :whistle:

tangled

Yes it would be good if a physics expert did that, like they er..do on sexyloops.

No, not the theory, the practice. You have hypothesis and it remains just that until it's proven empirically.

ohanzee

No, not the theory, the practice. You have hypothesis and it remains just that until it's proven empirically.

That is fair enough, and if a qualified physicist is not enough, I'm just surprised that a googled website is deemed proof.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Ah hold on there, little known fact, I am actually a qualified intellectual property rights expert, Copyright is but a small bottom drawer in my cabinet of creative protections.

I'm not sure about Bert's claim though, I might struggle there :whistle:
Dont think so.
We have met, and cast dozens of lines and rods, lines of varying profiles, rods of varying weights and actions, my money is on you!

Bert

ohanzee

Bit derogative calling a stranger "son" dont you think.

I think its quite funny 😀 I don't think anyone could say that to you face to face without lookinglike a teenager ready to leg it😀

ohanzee

Dont think so.
We have met, and cast dozens of lines and rods, lines of varying profiles, rods of varying weights and actions, my money is on you!

Bert

Tangled would love that, do you know I was offered a job instructing archery that day! I don't even do archery??

tangled

That is fair enough, and if a qualified physicist is not enough, I'm just surprised that a googled website is deemed proof.

It's not proof, I've already said that. Several times now. I'm not accepting it as proof. But it is a good, coherant explanation that we've so far been unable to put together.

Latest posts