Understanding idiots

anzac

I thought this thread was going to be "Idiots Guide For Idiots"! 🤪

While that is something needed, the question remains, who is going to read it and then explain it to them?

It's like the blonde joke; what do you call a brunette with two blondes?

A translator.

tangled

who is going to read it

Anybody interested in the subject. Mostly newbies but there'll be something in there for everybody if I get them right because no-one knows everything but between us we should know most things.

Their purpose is to be a comprehensive resource that can answer the regular questions that come up here.

Regulars soon get tired of answering the same questions and often answers that are given are, well, not necessarily comprehensive.

The forum owners appear to think they're valuable as they have 'stickied' them. So far the three 'understanding' threads subject have been read 50,000 times. (Actually more because reads from the old forum are omitted).

and then explain it to them?

I'm hoping that they are self explanatory.

Last edited:

GEK79

I checked out the thread, looks like a thorough compendium on buzzers in the now familiar 'understanding...x' format, good for beginners that want to er...understand buzzers, it comes up on Google and is probably the most comprehensive collection of info on the subject, viewed beyond the forum itself.

Perhaps we forget that the collective knowledge here goes beyond the forum, the 'Understanding....x' threads are.....a thing, they have a noble purpose, a resource to all, members or not, we should probably do more of that sort of thing.
Both of the threads have helped me.. The buzzer thread led to me buying buzzers and using them..
Gladlh Google keeps the knowledge here.. So it won't be lost.. I still ask bone head questions but I won't learn unless they get asked.
And so far bar 2 members everyone's help has been appreciated..
Gary.

GEK79

I checked out the thread, looks like a thorough compendium on buzzers in the now familiar 'understanding...x' format, good for beginners that want to er...understand buzzers, it comes up on Google and is probably the most comprehensive collection of info on the subject, viewed beyond the forum itself.

Perhaps we forget that the collective knowledge here goes beyond the forum, the 'Understanding....x' threads are.....a thing, they have a noble purpose, a resource to all, members or not, we should probably do more of that sort of thing.
Both of the threads have helped me.. The buzzer thread led to me buying buzzers and using them..
Gladlh Google keeps the knowledge here.. So it won't be lost.. I still ask bone head questions but I won't learn unless they get asked.
And so far bar 2 members everyone's help has been appreciated..
Gary.

GEK79

GEK79

anzac

Anybody interested in the subject. Mostly newbies but there'll be something in there for everybody if I get them right because no-one knows everything but between us we should know most things.

Their purpose is to be a comprehensive resource that can answer the regular questions that come up here.

Regulars soon get tired of answering the same questions and often answers that are given are, well, not necessarily comprehensive.

The forum owners appear to think they're valuable as they have 'stickied' them. So far the three 'understanding' threads subject have been read 50,000 times. (Actually more because reads from the old forum are omitted).

I'm hoping that they are self explanatory.

My mistake. I misunderstood. My impression was not an Idiots Guide to Fly Fishing, but rather an guide for idiots being idiots as the title, and I quote, Idiots Guide for Idiots led me to believe.

Yes, a fishing *****'s guide here is useful for all of us. More appropriately, it would be 'experiences shared'. But, that is actually what happens here already regardless of our individual experience levels or how well refined our skills may be. Just look at some of the threads. There's been questions about various fishing techniques, rod building, fly tying, building a pizza oven, which boots to buy, and even how to cook a fish dish.

So, that leaves me wondering, would an Idiots Guide for Idiots be simply duplicating what is already being done here?

GEK79

Still being a novice and probably will be until my last cast the buzzer thread helped me and after reading I bought some buzzers and enjoyed.. The x forum too great help.. When we are gone and the new generation are on here Google will keep the threads for a while..
Stay safe all
Gary.

ohanzee

The catch is that an 'Understanding x' thread is really an act of giving, its main value is not to those that already know, and if something you are not particularly interested in then its pretty much invisible(like me and understanding buzzers)

But..if it was 'Understanding (something we are interested in)' then you get a chance to contribute and maybe learn a new angle(pun intended)

I think there should be an understanding thread on line profiles, one of the least understood things among fly fishers, but we have been there, Bill's immense data base resulted..no one interested, funny how these things work.

But what would be your 'Understanding x' thread?

GEK79

The catch is that an 'Understanding x' thread is really an act of giving, its main value is not to those that already know, and if something you are not particularly interested in then its pretty much invisible(like me and understanding buzzers)

But..if it was 'Understanding (something we are interested in)' then you get a chance to contribute and maybe learn a new angle(pun intended)

I think there should be an understanding thread on line profiles, one of the least understood things among fly fishers, but we have been there, Bill's immense data base resulted..no one interested, funny how these things work.

Mine would have to be understanding other fishermen.. 😜

tangled

You got a link?

ohanzee

You got a link?

I don't, I'll try to find it, from memory there is a link in the original thread..by Bill I think.

Was Bill's forum name 'Bill'? I think there is a possibility it was lost with the forum change.

codyarrow

My 'understanding X' would be something along the lines of line profile to balanced outfits. For example I use a switch line on my 13 ft salmon rod. The reason being I fish small to medium rivers and need the line to load the rod with a small amount of line out. The 'correct' spey line just would not work as the loading point is too long.
Could be a long thread when you take into account rod at 'x' weight does not match 'x' weight line and fishes better with heavier than stated etc, etc. and when to use what?

ohanzee

My 'understanding X' would be something along the lines of line profile to balanced outfits. For example I use a switch line on my 13 ft salmon rod. The reason being I fish small to medium rivers and need the line to load the rod with a small amount of line out. The 'correct' spey line just would not work as the loading point is too long.
Could be a long thread when you take into account rod at 'x' weight does not match 'x' weight line and fishes better with heavier than stated etc, etc. and when to use what?

I think just understanding how line profile work lets you know how to chose the right one for any scenario.

Introducing a rod into the equation makes it very complicated, I think for no reason, maybe controversial to say but I choose a line to cast in a given set of circumstances, the rod is not one of the factors to me for that.

This is where it gets complex, because the strength of bend in the rod..is a factor.

GEK79

I think just understanding how line profile work lets you know how to chose the right one for any scenario.

Introducing a rod into the equation makes it very complicated, I think for no reason, maybe controversial to say but I choose a line to cast in a given set of circumstances, the rod is not one of the factors to me for that.

This is where it gets complex, because the strength of bend in the rod..is a factor.
I really do know very little about our passion.. 😔😔

ohanzee

I really do know very little about our passion.. 😔😔

Its not something that gets discussed much, we tend to buy a rod, then a line the right weight and off we go, sometimes we then go..'this line sucks' and get a new one, and sometimes we get one that is great and don't give it much more thought.

Years ago I had to do a presentation on fly lines to casting instructors, I maybe got a bit carried away with research, spoke to manufacturers etc, cut lines up and made my own etc, and if left me a line profile geek, forever haunted by fly fishers disinterest :)

codyarrow

CloudyFeminineAstrangiacoral-small.gif

:) Of course it makes it complicated, but I cannot cast a line until Jan 11th!
Some rods actions load better with certain lines, so I would say the rod does matter. Some lines ain't what they say on the packet and are inconsistent from brand to brand.
If you are cutting up lines and weighing the grains for certain situations I'm in.(y) Of course this is a minefield - I know plenty of fishermen who have a lifetimes supply of runner bean ties.

ohanzee

:) Of course it makes it complicated, but I cannot cast a line until Jan 11th!
Some rods actions load better with certain lines, so I would say the rod does matter. Some lines ain't what they say on the packet and are inconsistent from brand to brand.
If you are cutting up lines and weighing the grains for certain situations I'm in.(y) Of course this is a minefield - I know plenty of fishermen who have a lifetimes supply of runner bean ties.

Yes, specifically the strength of the flex, that's the only factor in the rod that affects the line... that gif is so distracting.......yes, minefield, a a thing that is a variable weight depending on the length of it we use...that is never going to be simple....hence perfect for an 'Understanding thread'.

Tangled would have a hard job just splitting that into something people could get their head around.

Cap'n Fishy

There is definitely a useful piece that can be put together by the collective members of this forum, for the benefit of anglers everywhere, on the subject of:

Boat Fishing!

A few topics...

How to approach boats and how to tell good boats from bad - what to be aware of before going afloat.
How to handle boats, with respect to oars, outboard motors - both petrol and electric - use of drogues, etc.
Boat safety - use and maintenance of lifejackets, how to handle boats and stay safe in rough weather, etc.
How to behave in boats, part 1... how not to be a c*** towards others! When is it OK to anchor? How far in front of another drifting boat is it OK to put a drogue out? The 'Chinese Snooker' manoeuvre. Why it's not good to park yourself so close to another boat you can see what colour their socks are.... and all that stuff.
How to behave in boats, part 2... how not to spook the fish you are trying to catch by behaving like an @hole. How to cast without doing an impression of Val Doonican in his rocking chair.
Fishing methods from boats... loch style techniques, washing lines, straight-lining, dry fly... hybrid techniques... on the hang, and all the rest... all the different sink rates of lines and their uses and all the different line tips. Figure-of-eight, roly-poly, stripping, static retrieves...
Where to find the fish on big waters - when to fish open water and when to hug the shoreline. How to read the features. How to read the weather and apply it to where to look for fish. Wind lanes... slicks... leaf litter trails...

It has become clear over the years that there is a big number of people who admit to being clueless in and around boats and who seek advice on the subject. Equally, it is clear that there are plenty vastly experienced boat anglers who are happy to pass on the lessons they have learned over the many years they have been boat fishing.

Col

codyarrow

Boat fishing is a good idea. Would need some clear division though.

Latest posts