Understanding Mono

tangled

I've taken the Understanding Mono OP as far as I can - at least for the moment.

I'd be grateful if those interested could read the whole thing and tell me if I've missed anything or got anything wrong.

Play nicely.

ps, there appears to be a bug that attaches images at the end of the post, can't find a way to get rid of them.

ohanzee

I'd be grateful if those interested could read the whole thing and tell me if I've missed anything or got anything wrong.

Play nicely.

ps, there appears to be a bug that attaches images at the end of the post, can't find a way to get rid of them.
Very thorough, what do you do with it now?

splinters

You set yourself a Sisyphean task Tangled, I know I've learned from it so thanks. Thanks also to the people who contributed positively to it.
My vote would be ask admin to sticky and lock it. Maybe tidy it up by removing any non contributary posts.

Simon.

spudgun

Does anyone use different knots for fluorocarbon and nylon?
I've been using the Rapala knot to connect fly to tippet, with both fluorocarbon and mono. I've used this knot exclusively for the past year with very few breaks.
Cheers

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

LukeNZ

Play nicely.

Well done T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

tangled

I've been using the Rapala knot to connect fly to tippet, with both fluorocarbon and mono. I've used this knot exclusively for the past year with very few breaks.
I know that it's a very popular knot with salmon anglers using big lures so that the lure can swing. Presumably not so popular with small flies?

spudgun

I've used it for everything, buzzers, dry, lures etc. I mostly use Fulling Mill fluorocarbon, which is quite stiff as you know, it certainly allows a more natural movement in the fly.
Cheers
Ps. I go down to a size 14, it's the smallest my eyes and fingers can manage.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

morayfisher

Trust Member
Thanks for sticking with it Tangled. Even through some less than constructive criticism.
Worthwhile and probably should be ‘stickied’.
:thumbs:

ed_t

It's the journey that makes you strong. Snide comments and less than constructive criticism test the soul and has narrowed the path.

Still not sure where the league of lispers fish with fluo, but whatever: welease wodewick!

P.s. the amino acids stuff was way off and hydrolysis is a relevant degradation mechanism; water swelling reduces strength but increases ductility; ignored in the op but acknowledged by manufacturers.

tangled

hydrolysis is a relevant degradation mechanism; water swelling reduces strength but increases ductility; ignored in the op but acknowledged by manufacturers.
If this is actually relevant for us I need you to spell it out, in English understandable to anglers, in more than one sentence and show to what extent any degradation happens in a normal fishing situation. It's potentially a bit interesting but you need to make the case.

speytime

If this is actually relevant for us I need you to spell it out, in English understandable to anglers, in more than one sentence and show to what extent any degradation happens in a normal fishing situation. It's potentially a bit interesting but you need to make the case.
I don't think it does matter in fishing terms 6lb maxima soaked for 3 days still managed 6lb+ I can't remember the exact figures.

Al

ed_t

I don't think it does matter in fishing terms 6lb maxima soaked for 3 days still managed 6lb+ I can't remember the exact figures.

Al
Stroft report a reduction in strength after 1 h in 20c water for all their nylons. Why would maxima be different?