Understanding Mono

tangled

The reduction in strength by water absorption is nylon (most say about 10%) is reversible, And that's in the OP.

Most report Maxima to be over-strength, so I'd guess that a reduction of 10% is likely to keep it within the label rating.

The degredation of nylon by water that you were talking about I assumed to be progressive and permanent, like that caused by UV?

speytime

Stroft report a reduction in strength after 1 h in 20c water for all their nylons. Why would maxima be different?
Test it I can't see why your results would differ from mine.
Personally I don't rate stroft abr I can't get anymore than 4.5lbs from 6.7lb and 0.16 is actually 0.18.

Maxima 4lb is 0.18 and it breaks around 4.4lb but doesn't suffer the shock issues of low diameter nylon.

Al

Last edited:

lee71

Can't understand why peeps just don't use Maxima - we all know it's the best allround line, some people like to think other lines give an advantage but would still catch using good ole Max. ;)

Cap'n Fishy

Can't understand why peeps just don't use Maxima - we all know it's the best allround line, some people like to think other lines give an advantage but would still catch using good ole Max. ;)
Well, just to give you one "for example" out of many "for examples", you can't do the "gradually submarining hogs" on Maxima, the way you can do them on fluoro. Then there is the 30 years of fishing stillwater dries on low-diameter nylon and being able to hang on to fish that run 50 yards on 0.14 and 0.16 mm line. And, as I have tried to say several times now, there are the days when two boat partners are trying to fish the same flies on the same fly line, using the same retrieve... and one is catching and the other isn't... until the one that isn't changes from nylon to fluoro.

But each to his own. The big big take home in all of this is to keep an open mind to what other people have been finding with their fishing, and not be blinkered about one's own little corner of the world. ;)

Col

- - - Updated - - -

My vote would be ask admin to sticky and lock it.
Jeezo - no, don't lock it! We have to be able to update it, as and when...

tangled

This is now a sticky - many thanks to our fine editor, Kirsty.

I've taken it as far as I can, but I'd love more technical input on the properties of plastics or any more clever uses for the different materials.

Done by Christmas :)

What next?

skajtrout

Tangled,

I've just had a look at the first post of this thread (the head piece, if you will) which I hadn't looked at since you first wrote it. I hadn't realised just how much you've done on this as it's gone on, really great piece of work mate. Bravo that man.

Skaj

tangled

Tangled,

I've just had a look at the first post of this thread (the head piece, if you will) which I hadn't looked at since you first wrote it. I hadn't realised just how much you've done on this as it's gone on, really great piece of work mate. Bravo that man.

Skaj
Cheers, it was a labour of hate ;-)

dave b

Regarding various lines over the years I've tried most match fishing and fly fishing. For me there's always a compromise in respect to stated diameter, stated breaking strain, stretch and reliability despite what manufacturers claim and what is written on the label.

B/S needs to be taken as a guideline because it's not guaranteed and in many cases is greatly overstated. The same applies to stated diameter because many lines are thicker than stated.

Maxima has stood the test of time because it's reliable. Talk to an experienced specimen angler fishing the Trent for barbel on a snaggy peg and there's only one hook length they'll recommend, 8-10lb maxima. There are a number of very experience Trout anglers I have great respect for and one or two of them swear by Maxima Ultra Green - Food for thought.

However the reality is that most of us want an advantage if we can get it to fool those difficult fish and this is where low diameter and fluoro lines come into play.

There is no doubt that some lines are more reliable than others however where we gain one advantage it's normally at the cost of another.

Low diameter line is one of two types, soft with moderate stretch or stiff and brittle. One aids presentation due to it's limp nature, the other turns over a fly better due to its stiffness, so there's a compromise.

Personally I'll take a little stretch and that little assurance that if I strike over enthusiastically I'll still have half a chance of being connected rather than losing both a fly and a fish.

I'll admit I'm not keen on fluoro but it does have it's uses particularly if you want a stiffer leader to combat the wind or to get the flies down.

I always thought that the difference between fluoro and equal dia nylon would be minimal however how wrong I was. The thing that really bought it home to me was a day on the Wilts Avon, fishing nymphs for trout and grayling at the back end of the year. We'd had no rain and there was a good coating of algae/blanket weed on the bottom.

Fishing with 0.14 co-polymer and a single 2mm tungsten beaded nymph on a jig hook I was getting perfect drifts and presentation without catching the bottom. I'd been fishing for 2 hrs and caught a number of good fish without issue until I caught a snag and lost my tippet and fly. Changing to a new spool of line which was fluoro, which was the same diameter and exactly the same fly and tungsten bead I proceeded to fish. However what quickly became apparent was how often I was catching the bottom and bringing back algae on the hook or blanket weed. It was almost every drift.

Changing back to nylon and no more catching the bottom, perfect drifts. I couldn't believe it 5ft of fluoro tippet went back on and it was exactly the same, tripping the bottom coming back covered in weed. I have to thank Col for giving me the steer but he was dead right and this bought home to me how different fluoro is to nylon.

I still use Maxima for still water work and have a spool of 3lb for river work in my emergency spares box kept in my wheel well. As for other lines I use Middy Low Vis which is fluoro coated nylon, Orvis Mirage and Airflo G3. However I tend only to use Fluoro in higher diameters and tend to go up one strength over standard low dia nylon because of it's brittle nature.

Between Maxima, low diameter nylon and fluoro despite 40 yrs fishing experience I have yet to find anything conclusive where I can say hand on heart one is better than the other. Like many I simply make a choice on the day based on conditions and stick with it. The lines I use are ones I trust however 8 times out of 10 I will still always choose nylon over fluoro.

My advice is the same as always, find a line you trust and stick with it. Your ability and confidence in what you have on the end, will catch you far more fish than any writing on a label. Line is simply line, there is only so much you can do with a formula and adding one characteristic is usually at the detriment to another as there's a balance that has to be maintained. Find a line that has a balance you're happy with and stick with it.

Latest posts