Understanding Mono

ohanzee

Just to diverse slightly, I have just this afternoon, put a new line on a reel, and decided to put a Hardy Tapered leader on 9' 6lb - I found this leader which may be a good few years old.

This leader came in a pack of three leaders - The blurb on the back of the card which the leaders were attached to states '' Made from copolymer materials which contains and combines the best features of both NYLON 6 and NYLON 66 to deliver high tensile strength and excellent qualities''

What is Nylon 6 and what is nylon 66 - Is this just the usual gobbldy gook of Hardies marketing machine, or does it actually mean something?

Douglas
The perfect link for you right here..........

https://www.aiplastics.com/blog/nylon-6-or-nylon-66/#:~:text=Nylon 6 is made from,hence the Nylon 66 name.&text=An important difference between Nylon 6 & 66 is mold shrinkage.&text=Nylon 66 would be a better choice between the two.

tangled

What is Nylon 6 and what is nylon 66 - Is this just the usual gobbldy gook of Hardies marketing machine, or does it actually mean something?
They're just two slightly different nylons mixed. Two nylon polymers mixed = copolymer.

Nothing unusual, I suspect that all nylon mono is one kind of copolymer or another. You can go onto alibaba and buy kilometers of Nylon66 and Nylon 6 for a few quid.

ohanzee

This is all too complicated for me!

Douglas
66 is stiffer, has a higher tensile modulus and greater flexural modulus, and absorbs less water, 6 stretches more before snapping.

by combining the two you get a good balance of properties for our purposes, the process of combining them is called er..polymerisation.

Cap'n Fishy

Just to diverse slightly, I have just this afternoon, put a new line on a reel, and decided to put a Hardy Tapered leader on 9' 6lb - I found this leader which may be a good few years old.

This leader came in a pack of three leaders - The blurb on the back of the card which the leaders were attached to states '' Made from copolymer materials which contains and combines the best features of both NYLON 6 and NYLON 66 to deliver high tensile strength and excellent qualities''

Douglas
Nylon 6

Nylon 66

A copolymer is simply any plastic polymer made from more than one monomer. There are thousands of 'copolymers', including nylons, fluorocarbons, clingfilm, synthetic rubbers, and many others...

Copolymers

We use 2 plastic polymers for leader material. They are: nylon and fluorocarbon. Some are standard type and some are low-diameter type. That is what is important to know. Is it nylon or is it fluorocarbon? Is it standard or is it low-diameter? The term copolymer as a means of selling us leader materials was introduced by marketing men to try and blind us with science and to sell you something 'new'. It got old around 1992! It tells you nothing you need to know. If it says 'copolymer', score a line through it and write 'nylon'.

Col

Cap'n Fishy

And a mix of Nylon 6 and Nylon 66 is not a copolymer?
Is that not described correctly as a 'blend'?* A copolymer is a polymer made from more than one monomer. The only alternative is a homopolymer, which is a polymer made from a single monomer. Those are the definitions.

* For example...

tangled

A
Is that not described correctly as a 'blend'?* A copolymer is a polymer made from more than one monomer. The only alternative is a homopolymer, which is a polymer made from a single monomer. Those are the definitions.

* For example...
Nylon 6 is a monomer. Nylon 66 is a coplymer. So I suppose you could call a mix of the two a blend. But surely the result would still be a copolymer?

Cap'n Fishy

From Wiki...

"Nomenclature

In common usage, the prefix "PA" (polyamide) or the name "Nylon" are used interchangeably and are equivalent in meaning.

The nomenclature used for nylon polymers was devised during the synthesis of the first simple aliphatic nylons and uses numbers to describe the number of carbons in each monomer unit, including the carbon(s) of the carboxylic acid(s).[47][48] Subsequent use of cyclic and aromatic monomers required the use of letters or sets of letters. One number after "PA" or "Nylon" indicates a homopolymer which is monadic or based on one amino acid (minus H2O) as monomer:

PA 6 or Nylon 6: [NH−(CH2)5−CO]n made from ε-Caprolactam.
Two numbers or sets of letters indicate a dyadic homopolymer formed from two monomers: one diamine and one dicarboxylic acid. The first number indicates the number of carbons in the diamine. The two numbers should be separated by a comma for clarity, but the comma is often omitted.

PA or Nylon 6,10 (or 610) : [NH−(CH2)6−NH−CO−(CH2)8−CO]n made from hexamethylenediamine and sebacic acid;
For copolymers the comonomers or pairs of comonomers are separated by slashes:

PA 6/66 : [NH-(CH2)6−NH−CO−(CH2)4−CO]n−[NH−(CH2)5−CO]m made from caprolactam, hexamethylenediamine and adipic acid ;PA 66/610 : [NH−(CH2)6−NH−CO−(CH2)4−CO]n−[NH−(CH2)6−NH−CO−(CH2)8−CO]m made from hexamethylenediamine, adipic acid and sebacic acid.
The term polyphthalamide (abbreviated to PPA) is used when 60% or more moles of the carboxylic acid portion of the repeating unit in the polymer chain is composed of a combination of terephthalic acid (TPA) and isophthalic acid (IPA)."

In other words, we need not concern ourselves with whether any or all or none of them are 'copolymers'. They are nylon (except when they are fluorocarbon). That is all that concerns us... and whether they are low-diameter types...

ohanzee

Nylon 6 is a monomer. Nylon 66 is a coplymer. So I suppose you could call a mix of the two a blend. But surely the result would still be a copolymer?
Nylon 6 is a polymer, 66 is a comonomer, and the mix of the two 6/66 is the copolymer...I believe.

ohanzee

Nylon 6 is a monomer. Nylon 6,6 is a copolymer. Both are polymers.

“nylon 6 is only made from one kind of monomer, a monomer called caprolactam. Nylon 6,6 is made from two monomers, adipoyl chloride and hexamethylene diamine.”

https://pslc.ws/macrog/nysix.htm
Apologies, you are correct...

Nylon 6 is a monomer, 66 is a comonomer, and the mix of the two 6/66 is the copolymer...I believe

Cap'n Fishy

Nylon 6 is a monomer.
No it is not! Nylon 6 is a polymer.

From Wiki...

Nylon 6 or polycaprolactam is a polymer developed by Paul Schlack at IG Farben to reproduce the properties of nylon 6,6 without violating the patent on its production.

All nylons are polymers.

The monomer is the building unit. The polymer is the built chain of those units. One particular unit in the chain makes for a homopolymer. More than one particular unit in the chain makes for a copolymer.

ed_t

Jeezuus wept.

Nylon 6 is a polymer base unit. A momomer. A "Mer".

Nylon 66 is a polymer base unit. A slightly more fiddly monomer base unit. A comonomer, a mer with 2 bits.

Individual molecules are monomers.

Mono... as in one. It aint rocket biology.

If you make lots of ones and they join together you get polymers (greek for lots of ones).

If you make lots of type 1 ones and lots of type 2 ones and they join together in a mix of type 1 and type 2 polymers... you have a copolymer

tangled

Hohum.

Nylon 6 is a monomer - one repeating chain of the same molecule. A repeating chain of molecules is a polymer.

Nylon 6,6 is copolymer

Both are polymers. If they weren't you couldn't have a chain of them.

”A polymer is a chemical compound with molecules bonded together in long, repeating chains.”

Gerryb

Douglas
Remington made a nifty little SA .22lr rifle, the Remington Nylon 66 , so it wasn't just a Hardy marketing label.