Understanding Mono

Dingbat

It was clear enough to anyone who wasn't looking to try and make an unfounded argument out of it! You chose to misinterpret it... and after I explained it, you chose to misinterpret it again! Having misinterpreted it, you also chose to have a pop at the angler, who was doing nothing wrong!

You mean the pre-pointing out to you that you were talking bollox posts. 🤪

Thanks for your advice. I will try to remember to take a protractor out with me next time, so I can keep a close watch on my angles. :rolleyes:

I think you would get broke 2 seconds after hooking one of those hot guys. 🤭 It's quite common to stick the rod under the water to lead the line safely round the hull of the boat and the outboard motor. The butt section of the rod is kept at about 90 degrees to the line - give or take... as long as it is nowhere near either 0 degrees or 180 degrees it gets the job done without breaking or snagging...

Menteith10Jun16_4508.jpg

8334.jpg

Menteith30Jun20_8707.jpg

I've done the same thing many times to avoid snagging the boat or outboard.

The correct angle is the correct angle, and is not necessarily achieved by "keeping the rod high"...

Glencorse22Sep19_1840.jpg

Cold01Apr18_9559.jpg

Cold31Mar19_9294.jpg

At other times the correct angle might be 60 or 45 or 30 degrees or some other angle - it depends on where the fish is relative to the boat and what it is up to. Then there is laying the rod sideways-on to the water to put side-strain on and steer the fish away from weed-beds, tree roots, etc. Finally, as the fish is being netted, the rod tip is high and the angle 'hairpins' in order to net it.

I suggest again that you stick to your bank fishing and don't try and tell boat fishers how to boat fish. ;)

Some comments/questions as a confirmed wader -

1.) Comfortable looking boat seats
2.) first picture - is that a petrol outboarder and an electric one? the latter for fine-tuning the drift?
3.) Last picture a.) is the line bearing the weight of the fish or the rod? b.) that is a boil in the front of the picture, right?

Cap'n Fishy

Some comments/questions as a confirmed wader -

1.) Comfortable looking boat seats Yes - a positive boon. 👍
2.) first picture - is that a petrol outboarder and an electric one? the latter for fine-tuning the drift? Yes - the 'electric ghillie' - another positive boon. 👍
3.) Last picture a.) is the line bearing the weight of the fish or the rod? Not sure what you mean? b.) that is a boil in the front of the picture, right? It's a rising fish, yes.

speytime

I'm pleased others are getting see there backing line, there the ones that keep me hooked.
Personally I've had the worst season ever so far, the club water appears to have died a death, I've no enthusiasm whatsoever about fishing it, over 5/6 visit of 6/7 hours a time I've had 8/9 fish in total.
There's talk about stocking with x amount 3lb fish, well great 🙄 who the hell wants to catch frickin stockies at that cost?
On the river i've lost 4 grilse landed 0 this season, I've manged a few sea trout recently but lost the first and only real weighty one, I've had plenty luck but it all been bad.

Last edited:

easker1

Yes Jimmy a free speech forum? so why shouldn't I make a comment? did it offend you? I did make comments at the very start of this, but then it became a us and them talk, that is ,easker1

Wee Jimmy

Yes Jimmy a free speech forum? so why shouldn't I make a comment? did it offend you? I did make comments at the very start of this, but then it became a us and them talk, that is ,easker1

Was I supposed to be offended...? Just puzzled why you said what you did.”Interesting reading glad I’m not getting involved”.....Whats your point...?

Last edited:

Dingbat

3.) Last picture a.) is the line bearing the weight of the fish or the rod? Not sure what you mean?

yea - no sorry, thinking out loud whilst trying to get my head around the bend of that rod ... much like the unfortunate trout I imagine.

easker1

wow Jimmy , then why did you make that remark? as I said I did make comments at the beginning so I felt it was OK to make a comment then, as I have been watching the progress of the post, your comment to me was unwarranted , unless you felt I was insulting your pal which I was not, it was more a comment on the progress of the article which had gone from the Merits of mono to a discussion on rod bends and wading versus boat fishing, so there! easker1

Wee Jimmy

wow Jimmy , then why did you make that remark? as I said I did make comments at the beginning so I felt it was OK to make a comment then, as I have been watching the progress of the post, your comment to me was unwarranted , unless you felt I was insulting your pal which I was not, it was more a comment on the progress of the article which had gone from the Merits of mono to a discussion on rod bends and wading versus boat fishing, so there! easker1

Threads much shorter than this one go off topic all the time Derek,so there’s nothing new in that.As for my comment being unwarranted ...I didn’t understand what you were saying,that’s why I asked..? If you are going to have a pop at something at least make it clear instead of pissing about with riddles.

easker1

then why did you think it was warranted?I some times piddle about with rissoles, but very rarely the other way about, I'm not that clever,It's a pity we cant make comments on a post in a light hearted way with out being taken to task, but then you're a Fifer , the whole world is your Oxter (oops) I meant oyster, yours in fun, easker1

Wee Jimmy

then why did you think it was warranted?I some times piddle about with rissoles, but very rarely the other way about, I'm not that clever,It's a pity we cant make comments on a post in a light hearted way with out being taken to task, but then you're a Fifer , the whole world is your Oxter (oops) I meant oyster, yours in fun, easker1

What you said didn’t make any sense to me whatsoever.There was no way of knowing you were being light hearted or anything else from what you posted.Thats why I asked,I don’t think that’s unwarranted or taking you to task...:unsure:

Ill know just to take anything you post in future with a pinch of salt or that you might just be having a laugh...:rolleyes: