Unhappy camper.

bennysbuddy

How do the right handed ones drink?
After careful observation I witnessed right or left handed people in the lunch room cafeteria showed no preference as to which hand they lifted their drinking glass with. Now given my test subjects were blue collar factory workers & many eat with out using any utensils my observations may be flawed. Tomorrow I will try to observe the management & engineers lunch room to see if they are any different.

williegunn

After careful observation I witnessed right or left handed people in the lunch room cafeteria showed no preference as to which hand they lifted their drinking glass with. Now given my test subjects were blue collar factory workers & many eat with out using any utensils my observations may be flawed. Tomorrow I will try to observe the management & engineers lunch room to see if they are any different.
Are they cultured Colonials? The ones I have observed resemble chimpanzees.

Vintage Badger

only the mail delivery person steers from the right (passenger) side of the vehicle in the U.S. . unless of course its a British made vehicle like a old Rolls Royce or a Bentley & that rare to see.
The origins of driving on the left (right hand drive cars) can be traced back to knights competing on horseback in tournaments, where right handed knights would prefer to ride to the left so their sword arm would be nearer to a passing opponent. This practice continued through the stagecoach days where the driver's gun (flintlock, blunderbuss, etc.) hand would be closest to passing coaches and approaching highwaymen.

America also used to drive on the left until they obtained independence and changed to driving on the right to further disassociate themselves with British customs. So there you go, a mine of useless information! ;)

suzuki15hp

The origins of driving on the left (right hand drive cars) can be traced back to knights competing on horseback in tournaments, where right handed knights would prefer to ride to the left so their sword arm would be nearer to a passing opponent. This practice continued through the stagecoach days where the driver's gun (flintlock, blunderbuss, etc.) hand would be closest to passing coaches and approaching highwaymen.

America also used to drive on the left until they obtained independence and changed to driving on the right to further disassociate themselves with British customs. So there you go, a mine of useless information! ;)
That's reminded me of this clown who came onto Dragons' Den and pitched his glove to make sure you always knew what side of the road to drive on. o_O

The DriveSafe Glove

Mike Carr entered the den with what he believed to be the greatest driving safety product of all time – a single glove that you put on your right hand when you travel abroad to remind you to drive on the correct side of the road. That's it – a glove. And for this piece of genius he wanted the dragons to give him £100,000. As suave Aussie Richard Farley put it: "Something tells me this isn't going to work."

ohanzee

So, just for clarity, can they operate a knife and fork at the same?

Whinging pom

Just to add to this … it could be Urban myth but I heard the Romans started it with chariots and that’s where it started in this country and hence around the world where the Brits had influence. Then Napoleon who was left handed made the french and all who he conquered change sides.
The yanks then started it when they sided with the French for independence.
It’s probably complete bullocks but always nice to blame the french!

tuc member

Southwestern Quebec, Canada near the New York stat

tuc member

Southwestern Quebec, Canada near the New York stat
Driving on the left goes back to the Romans. Their roads had ruts engineered into them and on roads that had two 'lanes' traffic was on the left. On the continent it was willy nilly until Napoleon ordained right-hand traffic for all. Britain retained left-hand traffic because old Boney never conquered her. Btw, the modern railroad gauge is the same as thr Roman ruts.

Vintage Badger

Yeah there is something not quite right there, the concept of eating from a cutting implement is more 'health and safety' than 'etiquette'.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done so all my life...
It may sound rather funny,
But it keeps them on the knife!