Unknown French Cane Maker

catzrob

Evening all and happy new year!

I came across this store on the French version of a certain well known auction site and wondered if anyone had any experience:

https://www.ebay.fr/str/bambourefendu

Obviously if it seems too good to be true etc. ... but if anyone has an experience they'd be willing to share I'll be most grateful for the feedback! Keen to give bamboo a go but the purse strings are a little tight at present.

[Edit - not sure whether he actually makes any of these rods or just restores them. Any inside info from past buyers still much appreciated!]

Last edited:

kenneth

Happy 2020!

Cristophe is a long-time Ebay seller and a fine restorer of bamboo rods. 100% feedback is unusual for a seller with more than 1,500 reviews, so that probably says something. I do not know him personally nor have any affiliation with him, but as a user and sometime collector of bamboo rods, I've looked at his work and have helped others make decisions on buying from him.

He buys old, sometimes beat-up rods, and works on them. At one point he got his hands on NOS, possibly Sharpes or Partridge, impregnated blanks, and finished them. These were fantastic value for money, I handled one that a friend had bought, and found his wrap and ferrule work impeccable. At one point another friend bought a restored Granger rod from him, and was more than happy with the purchase.

I would say that his prices are honest, and his detailed photos and descriptions tell you all you need to know about the rods. With eyes open and the necessary caveat emptor, I would say buy with confidence.

Kenneth

Lewis Chessman

Thanks, Kevin and catzrob, I've not seen this seller before but have enjoyed seeing his work after reading Kevin's post.
If this chap is buying old rods cheaply, restoring them very nicely, then essentially just recouping his costs + a drink for his time, fantastic! :cool:
At those prices he must do it for the love of it, then sell them on to wipe his face.

I don't have a call for any boo right now but I'm putting Christophe in my Saved Sellers for another day. Cheers!

catzrob

Thanks Kenneth - that's great to hear and I'm very grateful for the opinion of someone who knows what they're talking about (unlike me) and has seen the work in hand.

I will take a good careful look and pick something up, I think.

Happy new year and all the best

Rob

catzrob

Happy 2020!

Cristophe is a long-time Ebay seller and a fine restorer of bamboo rods. 100% feedback is unusual for a seller with more than 1,500 reviews, so that probably says something. I do not know him personally nor have any affiliation with him, but as a user and sometime collector of bamboo rods, I've looked at his work and have helped others make decisions on buying from him.

Kenneth
Kenneth - I've been waiting for an opportunity to buy one of these rods and just as the funds came up, Christophe seems to have exited ebay. Hopefully this is just a temporary Coronavirus absence but would you know any other way to buy from him/have contact details to get in touch?

Sorry to trouble you and thanks in advance for any help.

kenneth

Catzrob, I'm afraid I can't help you. I never had any direct dealings with him, so no contact details. It looks like he's closed his ebay store, I really hope he's personally OK.

Keep safe,
Kenneth

catzrob

Ok. Thank you Kenneth. Yes sincerely hoping that he's just keeping his head down for the time being rather than suffering personally.

Keep safe as well, Thanks again,
Rob

stevel

Interesting thread.
Just did a search on ebay.co.uk seems there's another french seller called tophe512 (chris-tophe?) Canne peche Bambou Refendu with lots of rods for around £100 and 1651 positive reviews. May be him.

BAMBOURESTORE
christophe troussicot
11 Rue du clos du prieuré
91590 La Ferté Alais, Ile-de-France
France métropolitaine

Last edited:

catzrob

Interesting thread.
Just did a search on ebay.co.uk seems there's another french seller called tophe512 (chris-tophe?) Canne peche Bambou Refendu with lots of rods for around £100 and 1651 positive reviews. May be him.
That's him! Looks like he's back. Thanks stevel!

corto maltese

I met an old guy on the river about four years ago.
I was fishing a six ft three piece #3 weight that I bought off the bay and restored, he was walking the bank with his wife and dogs and approached me. He wanted to measures the taper of my rod !, Strange request for me up to my nuts in the water !
He lived a couple of villages away so I scoobied on over with the rod so he could measure it all up, what a discovery when I arrived. Fully equipped rod making workshop with some lovely rods waiting to be sent out to client's.
Smashing fella and very generous with answers to my multiple questions on the rod making process.
But... That's where it ended.
He didn't answer my calls after and I never visited him unannounced, it didn't seem right. So it was a bit of a disappointment to be honest about it.
Hey ho, just thought I'd tell you about it not that it has any relevance.
Glad you've found the guy again though, now treat yourself to a lovely boo rod 👍