Unknown French Cane Maker

Uncas

I would say the correct term is Split- cane or bamboo.
The American-ism of Boo is unnecessary.

Overmiwadrers

Ok so two rods have arrived one is 5ft 8inch 3/4 wt the other 6ft4inch 3/4 wt initial thoughts quite pleasing the shorter would seem to be quite a fast ( for cane ) action that seems more like a 4 than a 3 . The longer is more a slower action and suspect a three will be good on it . Initially the finish looks excellent for the cash after all these are 120 notes each I am on the river tomorrow will probably take one along for a trial cast .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Overmiwadrers

Ok so i had a days fishing yesterday . Didnt really use the rods for long as I was doing a mixture of Dries and nymphing and went with a carbon old favourite. I am not a bamboo expert but fish my 6ft 3 wt Chapmans a fair bit and am thinking about a 7ft 4wt from Gary Marshall or Luke Banister . The 5ft 8 was bought with the thought of a very small local stream that I fish . its very tight and very very wild . and i certainly wouldnt take anything expensive in there . The 6ft 4 wt was a real curiosity purchase with the thought that it could go in our clubs fund raising raffle/ auction at some point or stick it back on flea bay . Ok the 5ft 8 inch is quite a fastish rod that went well with a 4 wt line. . it needed a fair bit of line out to make the 3wt work. Definately a keeper I like it tight loops were easy and the cosmetics were very good , for the money its brilliant . The 6ft 4wt is a more old fashioned parabolic action but is nice enough and would be fun to fish I had a swing of a couple of Zhu rods that friends had and would say the action was not a million miles away in style. I would say that any of these rods for the money are great value and for anyone wanting to have a taste of cane they offer exceptional value. Not sure I would go for anything above a 4 wt though I think slow and heavy comes to mind.

Until I fish them more next year its hard to give a real review . I have mothballed my Silk lines for the winter now so didnt want to get them out . Not sure i would risk the silk tenenzio four weight on the tiny beck though . So may just have a play over grass with the decent lines.

O M W

Last edited:

catzrob

Thanks for sharing. Still in the back of my mind to pick one of these up for next summer.

Latest posts