Unreachable fish

Vermontdrifter

For a streamer or spider cast upstream and then let it drift down and across would be my advice. For a good skating pattern try this one. http://www.flyfishsd.com/tying-grillos-hippie-stomper-attractor-dry-fly/

It floats like a cork due to the foam but with the clipped hackle the silhouette from below really resembles a plethora of winged insects and has worked well for me the last few times I went out.

pvthubbard

Vermontdrifter

Never tied anything like that, what a beast.
Takes about five minutes to tie and I was doubtful as well until I put it in a glass of water and looked at it from underneath! Fish seem to like the look of it and I’ve been tying it in size 14 and even 16. I’ve become a fan of foam flies because they spend most of their time on the water instead of being dried out and re-ginked!

raphael

May be, but just may be... they are not always at that particular place. Go there often and observe. One of these days, they might change their habits, whatever the reason: a change in water level or temperature, a hatch, who knows? Maybe they are there at one moment of the day and somewhere else at another. Try to have a look very early in the morning for instance... This is knowing your river and getting your reward when time comes.

Tight lines.

R

pvthubbard

May be, but just may be... they are not always at that particular place. Go there often and observe. One of these days, they might change their habits, whatever the reason: a change in water level or temperature, a hatch, who knows? Maybe they are there at one moment of the day and somewhere else at another. Try to have a look very early in the morning for instance... This is knowing your river and getting your reward when time comes.

Tight lines.

R
Hi Raphael, I have only ever seen them in this pool, can only ever see them if there is a bit of sunlight through the trees, they more often than not just disappear into the depths, hatches are not great, sometimes get a nice grannom hatch, lots of moths, midges/gnats but can't say i have ever fished a great hatch. I would love to know where they disappear. Most days will see a few fish rising after 11ish, and always seems to fish better in sunnier weather, it is a spate and I know the river changes every year after floods. I do enjoy seeing them and imagining ways to catch the buggers though.

themind

Kent, garden of England with a hosepipe ban!
Try a reverse hackle dry, and heavily hacked and "punch" it into the biggest gap you can find, the reverse hackle can help protect against snags. other option is a heavy nymph, maybe a beadhead but tied with a weedguard, again to try and punch through any obstacles.

Steve

fingask

Thanks for the replies, as I read each one I'm thinking i have tried that, but there again I might give it another go. I have pics of the river but not that spot, will be up there in a few weeks so will take a pic. I know I cant get a dry downstream as I would be stood on the edge of a deep gully and casting cack handed. I have lost count of the hours spent trying to present an enticing fly to them. Streamer sounds good, wrap of lead around shank to aid casting but surely would spook them? As for inner tube/float tube, I should have confiscated the ones 2 girls decided to float down the river on, I imagine they must have walked a fair bit as its mainly shallows and deep gullys, not ideal.

Going to try dapping next visit, thinking my 4weights might be undergunned though? Now to put a plan together in case I hook one, how do I land it from a tree about 8ft above the water🐟, will have a look for a pic later.
Been going to a favourite river for a good few years now, about 3 or 4 weeks every year, I love the river, wildlife galore although most of it consists of fish predators, otter, mink, goosander, comorants. Fishing is not easy but there are some fantastic Grayling and the odd trout, Grayling to about 50cm, trout are all smallish and harder to locate.

There has always been one unreachable spot where there are at least 3 big brownies, this spot is a deep pool under a huge oak overhanging the river, canopy extends about half way across river. I have clambered up this oak tree a few times and just watched them, i have tried to fish for them on numerous occasions and have only ever once hooked one, on a dry with a stupid length of light tippet that miraculously managed to turn over the fly and hook what was probably a 2lber. I was up to my chest in water and couldn't keep him on as he launched out of the water and shook the hook. I have fished from the opposite side but can't present a fly from there, can't fish it downstream as too much canopy. The only way i could possibly present a fly would be to dap from the bough of the oak hanging over the river, the other methods i could try are probably best left unspoken, havent resorted to any of them, any thoughts on trying to dap for them?

Any ideas? Anyone have a similar thing with some nice fish tucked away, where you can still see them but can't get them?
try a small bubble float and favourite dry floated downstream and hang on tight lines

pvthubbard

try a small bubble float and favourite dry floated downstream and hang on tight lines
I can't bring myself to put a bubble float on a fly rod, yes it's stupid but that's me, if I'm carp fishing then a controller on top with bread is my favourite way of catching. After reading the streamers thread I will give streamers a go though.

fingask

I can't bring myself to put a bubble float on a fly rod, yes it's stupid but that's me, if I'm carp fishing then a controller on top with bread is my favourite way of catching. After reading the streamers thread I will give streamers a go though.
. How about a bit more fly oriented though what it represents is beyond me a blobby as a float / indicator towing the streamer tight lines

BobP

Sometimes we just have to accept that a fish is in a spot that is just too tough to reach and is way beyond our abilities to get to it. Pop in and have a look from time to time and one day you may find he has moved out a bit, but otherwise leave it in peace. We don't have to be able to catch every fish in the river, do we?

pvthubbard

It's not the need to catch every fish in the river, if it were I would have caught it using numerous other methods I could have tried but haven't. But if I can catch it, even by limiting myself to my favoured methods I will(y), most definitley going to try and entice them with a streamer though.

SirHarryLewis

How fast or slow is the current? Are there reeds there also. Perhaps a large terrestrial in the dark. White moth

pvthubbard

How fast or slow is the current? Are there reeds there also. Perhaps a large terrestrial in the dark. White moth
Hi Harry, current non existent, no reeds either, I'm sure they see a few terrestrials as there is a massive canopy, I have tried a few, beetles and chernobyls but never had any luck, maybe I have little confidence in such big hooks and don't try hard enough.(y)

SirHarryLewis

Hi Harry, current non existent, no reeds either, I'm sure they see a few terrestrials as there is a massive canopy, I have tried a few, beetles and chernobyls but never had any luck, maybe I have little confidence in such big hooks and don't try hard enough.(y)
I think your best chance is in the dark post rise. Possibly a balloon caddis, grey flag sedge or a muddler minnow later in the year.

Personally I don't have the skills for slow clear water day time rises. At least not on my river. Some of the bigger fish I have caught have been 10 to 15 mins post rise finish

Tonight we had a good rise on the Suir and I got nowhere with dry olive flies. Had to wait til night closed in before I tempted anything out