Untamed Anglers New (tv) Series

mike fox

The long awaited new (tv) series was released last night on their own pay per view channel. Its only £3 to view the first few episodes. Not expensive at all by any means. Has anyone watched them yet? I breezed through them all in less than an hour as I thought they were very disappointing. I declined to financially contribute to the project 3 years ago unlike as I did with 'CHALK'. The reason I gave was because I didn't want to fund a group of mates having a fishing jolly partly at my expense. And that is exactly what this is. There is no structure to any of them, very poor narration, poor sound quality and the camera action is all over the place. Not surprising negotiations with a mainstream TV outlet fell through. There is better amateur videos on YouTube in my opinion. Shame, because I was looking forward to watching the series.

Noodles

That Stokoe does my head in, it's more about flexing his muscles than the fishing or the fish, he should of applied for the new topgun Maverick move for the beach volleyball scene, would been right up his street
flatten.png

Returning Dave

That Stokoe does my head in, it's more about flexing his muscles than the fishing or the fish, he should of applied for the new topgun Maverick move for the beach volleyball scene, would been right up his street View attachment 45923
Yup, did my head in too, t shirts way too tight, diamond ear rings, shouting every time he hooked a fish, back slapping and glad handing everytime he landed one, Robson Green's the same, must be the Geordie way, Peter Cockwill looked bemused.
Oh and that's a pic of Slider, Ice's rear, not Maverick or Goose...........I'll get my coat.

Noodles

Yup, did my head in too, t shirts way too tight, diamond ear rings, shouting every time he hooked a fish, back slapping and glad handing everytime he landed one, Robson Green's the same, must be the Geordie way, Peter Cockwill looked bemused.
Oh and that's a pic of Slider, Ice's rear, not Maverick or Goose...........I'll get my coat.
Correct it is slider, should have chosen my words better as it was slider that did the biggest muscle flex in that scene.

Jamesys

Morning guys,

Firstly I’m not here to have a go at anyone’s opinions they are yours which you are entitled to. Mike you have had such a negative mind set from the off with this series, you put us down before we had even started filming, how do you expect to enjoy anything when your not open minded, we put hundreds of unpaid hours into this series, it cost us all money when we actually filmed the series, we never lid ourselves and we also invested thousands of our own pounds into it, this wasn’t a jolly it was about creating a series for everyone to watch and enjoy and most of all to promote fishing!

As for the other comments on this thread, yes I go to the gym, and yes I’m from the north, but I love fishing, it’s my life and my job, and I love to help people within the sport achieve their goals of catching a salmon. Now I don’t mind a bit banter but If you have a problem with me I’d Much prefer to deal with it face to face rather than people try and troll me or slate me publicly online.

cheers
James Stokoe

mike fox

Morning guys,

Firstly I’m not here to have a go at anyone’s opinions they are yours which you are entitled to. Mike you have had such a negative mind set from the off with this series, you put us down before we had even started filming, how do you expect to enjoy anything when your not open minded, we put hundreds of unpaid hours into this series, it cost us all money when we actually filmed the series, we never lid ourselves and we also invested thousands of our own pounds into it, this wasn’t a jolly it was about creating a series for everyone to watch and enjoy and most of all to promote fishing!

As for the other comments on this thread, yes I go to the gym, and yes I’m from the north, but I love fishing, it’s my life and my job, and I love to help people within the sport achieve their goals of catching a salmon. Now I don’t mind a bit banter but If you have a problem with me I’d Much prefer to deal with it face to face rather than people try and troll me or slate me publicly online.

cheers
James Stokoe
James, the only negativity I had/have is that I didn't wish to financially contribute to a group of mates having a fishing jolly. I got this impression solely by watching your short initial promotion video. Having viewed the series of 7 episodes, I stand firmly by my decision.
I thought the concept is/was a great idea and I looked forward to the end result.
However, I find that the entire series lacks in structure. Every TV show must have a beginning, a middle and an end. IMO your episodes only have a middle which in itself is good to watch but not for the entire length of the show. There is no history, no geological explanations, no geographical indications of locations, no detailed species information, no species distribution information, no habitat information and why each species exist where they do, no explanation as to why these species are iconic which is what the series was meant to be about. There is nothing educational in any of the programmes. It is all about yourself and your mates having a good time on the banks and catching a few fish. Now there is nothing wrong in that, it is just too boring for others to watch for nearly 40 minutes at a throw. For one example, Peter Cockwill was explaining something about Brown Trout and you cut him off to show Hywel Morgan caught up in a tree and you didn't return to the interesting conversation. Perhaps a little less of the frolicking about could have made shorter but more interesting viewing.
A bit like "CHALK", there was far too much of the likes of me in it which dragged the film on. It would have been more interesting if it were 1 hour long instead of 1 hr 27minutes.
I think if angling is to be promoted and move on into the 21st century then professionally made films such us yours and "CHALK" (for example) must be more professional.
What interest would this series have to non-anglers? None I would imagine.
This is just my opinion but I really hope you are successful with this as your enthusiasm is without question and maybe we will meet up at some point during my angling travels perhaps.
Don't take any notice of the personal criticism, we all get a lot of that on this forum, they are just jealous of your physique.........as I am. ;)

Noodles

Morning guys,

cheers
James Stokoe
Maybe if you tried promoting a jacket once in a while instead of those huge biceps the rest of us wouldn't feel inadequate.

If your fishing it should always be about the fish and the countryside.

Wesdev

Noodles, are you named after your own spaghetti arms? Is that why you are jealous of James?

We know James is a good angler and a top honest bloke. If you have nothing constructive to say, don't bother.

I haven’t seen it yet, but my son said he enjoyed it.

Returning Dave

Morning guys,

cheers
James Stokoe
Fair play for coming on here James.
First off i paid to watch the series, £3 well spent, mostly, i certainly wouldn't have paid more than a fiver though, however it's nice to see angling on a tv platform.
I personally don't enjoy the loud/bombastic/"American" approach of glad handing, back slapping etc, it's not my way, Robson Green was the same when he was in Iceland and to a certain extent it detracted from both programs for me.
As for your personal appearence, fair enough, that's you and all power to you for the gym, those years are behind me, i don't have the time, but it's not jealousy as someone said and i certainly haven't got a problem with you, just dial the enthusiasm down, it came across as a tad false and forced, esp the dramatic voice overs, it's not a Holywood trailer.
Fly fishing for me is an escape from family, the pressure of the real world and a chance to lose myself for a few hours, I'll admit I'm jealous of anyone who has it as their job, yes I'd love to catch a salmon, or fish the Test/Itchen/Tay/Iceland/Norway etc etc, you're having experiences that your average angler won't have, i hope you pinch yourself at times.
I do laugh at the likes of Marina, Hywel, Matt Hayes and others who are obviously sponsored by variou companies as they get their kit and are all "logoed" up, although you seemed to have a few different names which was refreshing to see, nice shades though, what were they? Mind you I'm getting a bit fond of Guideline gear myself.
Keep at it, would like to see a second series.
I'd like to see a series where someone like yourself/Marina/Hywel/Matt takes an "ordinary" angler and gives them an experience they wouldn't ordinarily have and enhances their fishing too.

Noodles

Noodles, are you named after your own spaghetti arms? Is that why you are jealous of James?

We know James is a good angler and a top honest bloke. If you have nothing constructive to say, don't bother.

I haven’t seen it yet, but my son said he enjoyed it.
I'm not a fan of him, sorry but not everyone is going to like him, best of luck to him and I wish him all the best and his big muscles all the best, I have never met the man so I would not have a clue whether he is a nice guy or not, but it will never have any effect on my every day life. We may meet professional one day and I will be professional as I always am.

Now as to wesdev, I definitely dont need to be called out on this forum by you or anyone, I made a comment, and a joke, but obviously some people are a bit touchy, but hey hoy.

I have seen enough social media and YouTube clips over the years to make my mind up, I do not like the rods over the shoulders and the big outstretched arms prize shot for the whole world to see, especially when Atlantic salmon are concerned, they have enough problems. Keep em wet and get them back asap.

Latest posts