Unused Tackle

york1e

How many of us have bought a new bit of kit and when you get home it go's on the shelf and gathers dust.

For example last year I bought myself a Greys Streamflex Plus 4# as I was going to embrace nymphing so far its sat in corner because I automatically pick up my 9' 4#

uptomyknee_s

A year or so I bought an Orvis Recon 10' 5#. It sat in amongst my other rods and I never used it.
I gave it away as a raffle prize.

eddleston123

Yes, you always seem to go to your default position - ie, the rod/tackle that you are most comfortable with.

I have a forest of rods in the attic 'gathering dust' -- I may use them someday, but I doubt it!

Douglas

Gdog

We are all guilty of this, I started fly fishing in 1989, up to 2015 I generally had 4 or 5 fly rods and reels. I bought maybe 15 rods, sold a few, broke a few too and 2 were stolen out of my car. I used them all frequently apart from one 4 weight which was too soft for my liking. In the last five years I've managed to increase this to 9 rods and 11 reels just to cover every single stillwater or river situation I encounter. I've sold all of the rods I owned up to 2015, so I've bought 9 new rods and a few others I didn't like that I sold 😹
I own 3 river rods which I've used 3 or 4 times each, but I keep them in case I might fish a river sometime over the season 😂.
I keep a 9'6" #7 for bank fishing on windy days and for sinking lines a handful of times every year.
I use five 5 and 6 weights fairly regularly, the other four not so often.

Last edited:

PaulD

I started fly fishing when I was 16 . . . 1968 o_O . . . and over time, I've gathered a 'bit of a collection', much of which I no longer use but most of which I'd never part with because it's like living with old friends . . . my wife is not so empathetic!

There are rods, reels, lines and fly boxes that I will probably never use again but when I occasionally pick them up I'm overcome with memories, mostly good, sometimes disappointing but all key moments in time which lead to the way I like to fish now.

wobbly face

Marryat Tacticle Pro 9.6ft #3/4, Orvis Recon 8.4 #4. 2 Allen reels loaded with line. Hand made leather lanyard (still in package). Orvis waterproof backpack. Back in Feb at the BFFi I gave fishing For Heroes boxed Orvis Battenkill 1 reel. Boxed Wychwood River & Stream 4/5 reel with spare spool (again in box). Bought many years ago but never used wicker creel.

haggstock

eBay are currently running a £1 maximum final value fee . An ideal time to get rid of your unused decent quality sporting clutter . If you haven’t used anything for a couple of years get rid of it , it serves no purpose . If it’s worthless just bag it up and take it to the tip . We’ve all bought silly things , just take it on the chin and de-clutter your life . You are not losing money doing this , the money was lost when the item was bought .

cammy

eBay are currently running a £1 maximum final value fee . An ideal time to get rid of your unused decent quality sporting clutter . If you haven’t used anything for a couple of years get rid of it , it serves no purpose . If it’s worthless just bag it up and take it to the tip . We’ve all bought silly things , just take it on the chin and de-clutter your life . You are not losing money doing this , the money was lost when the item was bought .
No, no, no, no, no. I neeeeeeeed my things!