Upgrade for Orvis Western 3?

len1

Have had the above in 9’6” # 7 weight for at least six years and it has never let me down. Used for bank fishing at stillwaters and from the boat at Linlithgow, Menteith etc. Can fork out for an upgrade for a special birthday. Maybe £350 plus. What do folk recommend?

sightbob

Hi len1, not long been through the same thing and spent lots of time reading reviews
and reports, i actually ended up buying a pair of 10ft #7 Western 3s secondhand.Why
because everytime i nearly settled on a rod i would read something to put me off. It all is such a personal
thing I would definitely try before you buy. seems to be alot of people who like the speed of getting replacement sections when something goes wrong with there new rod. I went through all that with some
of the first Airflo rods and really dont see why 30 years later so many rod sections fail.
There are people on here who will manage to point you towards something through there experience.
My opinion use your Western3 till it fails you, buy a nice new reel. Happy hunting,Happy Birthday
when it comes. John

len1

Hi Sightbob suspect you are right about sticking to the Orvis I have. Funny you mention reels. I fancy an Orvis Battenkill for my 5 weight for the rivers and wee lochs.

taffy1

I own it's predecessor, the Western2, my "upgrade" from there was to an AtomSix Tachyon from Steve Parkes. I've no regrets whatsoever. I still enjoy the Western2. The reason for the 3 was that the uplocking thread on the alloy reel seat was made with a soft alloy that removed it's thread after time. The warranty saved my bottom section within days.