Using boats to fly fish.

speytime

I would say that ranks along with you can't miss with a shot gun, only them who haven't tried come out with such tripe, I'm in a boat trying to fish the margins I could cover easily from the bank
Edit... obviously a boat can get you over water you can't reach but I don't think that's the sole purpose of people using them, there convenient, you've got all your gear to hand and drifting over fresh water from a comfy seat, who wouldn't want that?

Al

Jeltz

Not a wind up at all, motor up to the top of a lake or reservoir, drop a line over the side and sit there while the boat drifts down to the other end, and repeat. I would empty the lake if I did that. :D

caeran

If that’s the case you could say the same about wading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codyarrow

Not a wind up at all, motor up to the top of a lake or reservoir, drop a line over the side and sit there while the boat drifts down to the other end, and repeat. I would empty the lake if I did that. :D
If it worked as well as you think there would be lots of people doing it. Curious nature caused me to try it on brown trout - not that effective.

Cap'n Fishy

Not a wind-up, my arse! 🤭

Here is a map of Loch Lomond...

It's over 27 square miles. The depth ranges from 0 to 500 feet. You are going boat fishing for sea trout with wet fly and dap. Where are you going to find the fish? And that's the easy bit. The rod average last year must have been closer to zero than one.

Lake of Menteith and Loch Leven... no bank fishing allowed, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it! 😜

Jeltz

Not a wind-up, my arse! 🤭

Here is a map of Loch Lomond...

It's over 27 square miles. The depth ranges from 0 to 500 feet. You are going boat fishing for sea trout with wet fly and dap. Where are you going to find the fish? And that's the easy bit. The rod average last year must have been closer to zero than one.

Lake of Menteith and Loch Leven... no bank fishing allowed, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it! 😜
Sea fishing is different, I am talking about little reservoirs and still waters.

speytime

I don't think Cobbinshaw will be unique with no trawling/back drifting out of the back of the boat, no anchoring and no bank fishing.

Al

Cap'n Fishy

I am talking about little reservoirs and still waters.
No you are not. Here is what you said...

"There must be no skill involved to catch trout drifting around in a boat, does anyone consider that to be a form of cheating?"

No mention of 'little reservoirs'. Added to which, Loch Lomond, Loch Leven and Menteith are stillwaters.

If you are going to do a wind-up, at least do it well. 😜

Jeltz

No you are not. Here is what you said...

"There must be no skill involved to catch trout drifting around in a boat, does anyone consider that to be a form of cheating?"

No mention of 'little reservoirs'. Added to which, Loch Lomond, Loch Leven and Menteith are stillwaters.

If you are going to do a wind-up, at least do it well. 😜
That's true, I didn't specify the conditions when should have. Small still waters mainly. Maybe it is a little bit of a wind up, but whenever I see a boat out in a small still water, I can't help but think it is complete overkill. :D

Cap'n Fishy

That's true, I didn't specify the conditions when should have. Small still waters mainly. Maybe it is a little bit of a wind up, but whenever I see a boat out in a small still water, I can't help but think it is complete overkill. :D
How small are you talking about? To me, a small water is about 50 acres. Anything smaller than that is a puddle. 😜 The whole point to boat fishing is that you are covering the water, not standing in one spot or having to do step cast, step cast. I don't know anyone who hangs his flies over the side and back-drags them. When we fish from a drifting boat, we are either casting and retrieving in front of the boat, or we are hunting rising fish with dry fly in quiet corners - often in places you simply can't reach from the bank. Here is a typical spot where we hunt rising fish on Menteith...

It would be impossible to fish that water from the bank, even if bank fishing was allowed.

If you were a boat fisher, you simply wouldn't ask the question you asked. It justs sounds utterly ridiculous to a boat fisher. ;)

bobmiddlepoint

There must be no skill involved to catch trout drifting around in a boat, does anyone consider that to be a form of cheating?

You would be surprised how close to the truth you are on many occasions.
In a previous life I was a ghillie on mainly small lochs. A surprising number of anglers couldn't grasp how to pull the line fast enough in a drifting boat and nearly all the fish they caught were as a result of me crabbing the boat across the wind to put some movement and life into the flies. I wasn't alone in this, we all (ghillies) did it with some rods who just wouldn't learn.
So those anglers caught fish with little skill (or little skill in boats, some were fine on dry land) and in truth on the troll so they were cheating!

Andy