Using boats to fly fish.

Cap'n Fishy

On the subject of Li-ion batteries, a couple of useful links...

Lithium batteries

Results

I tried looking into alternatives to the Torqedo, but there is nothing jumping out that I can see? The bigger battery Torqedo has 31 AH. Now, even allowing for the better efficiency of lithium, I can't see that lasting a day on Hope south end Beat 3 - the biggest test I face with an electric these days... not when I tanned a 110 AH good quality lead acid on it by 2 p.m. last week in a good blow. So, if it was a case of carrying a spare... well... £749 for one of those... bit steep for me!

Col

JohnH

I see a few folk using these things...

Torqedo

They are Li-ion powered. The battery is contained in a removable pack that sits on the top. Haven't heard of any issues with explosions. I quite fancy one, but the design is too prone to damage on the sorts of waters we fish, and repairs are V expensive. Someone said a while back that a different company were bringing out a Li-ion o/b that was a much better design. Not heard anything since???
Wessex Water have one of those Torquedos for hire at Sutton Bingham for anglers who don't have their own electric outboard kit. £10 a day on top of boat hire. I took it the last time I fished SB, early last month. Damned thing simply died after about 40 minutes, to the extent that the bailiff has given me a refund against my next ticket. Fortunately my day wasn't spoiled, the boats are Coulam 16s which are fine to row and it was always going to be a day at anchor fishing close to and across the air line (linear aerator) which stretches out into the lake from close to the boat dock. Must say that experience would make me think twice about spending well north of a grand on one !

easker1

I had a length of Alu tube that fitted over the Throttle so I could stand ( or sit ) further forward in the Boat, we had some long motoring to the farthest beats, so the tube was handy, easker1

Cap'n Fishy

I had a length of Alu tube that fitted over the Throttle so I could stand ( or sit ) further forward in the Boat, we had some long motoring to the farthest beats, so the tube was handy, easker1
Aye, I've seen a few of those on Lomond. OK for travelling in a long straight line, but not much good for fine manoeuvres and turning the boat on the leccy while fishing...

easker1

it would work with a Knuckle along the tube, you could lock the knuckle by putting it in the up &down position and then turn it to use the joint, just an idea, a bit like a jointed tiller on sailing dinghies Col easker1

Cap'n Fishy

it would work with a Knuckle along the tube, you could lock the knuckle by putting it in the up &down position and then turn it to use the joint, just an idea, a bit like a jointed tiller on sailing dinghies Col easker1
I get where you are coming from, Derek. But then it is going to need to be extra-long, so you can bend it 90 degrees to do a hard turn. And when not in use, you are going to have this great long pole lying across your lap or in front of you. I think I will stick with getting up and sitting down to work the motor - it has worked fine for many years without me falling overboard.

Col

PaulD

I ghillie for a living some of the summer. Boating. I will not have one of those boat seat things in the boat. Nor will I let anyone stand in any kind of wave.....and the punters know to ask before standing even on a calm day. Only been using boats for a bit over 40 years though.
The main problem with the video is that is sets the wrong example for beginners. (Nothing personal, everyone gets the same lecture).
Sitting in boats can also be hazardous. . . .

IMG_1086.JPG

Cap'n Fishy

you could still use the Knuckle idea, see the tiller on sailing dinghies, easker1
How is it going to cope with turning the handle between 5 forward speeds and 3 reverse speeds, and swivelling it through 180 degrees, all from 6 feet away? If you want to make one for yourself, feel free, but for me it's all just an exercise in pampering to those who seem to think it's impossible to stand up and sit down without falling overboard! 🤪

speytime

For me standing to get to and from the engine is an unavoidable risk which I feel is minimal, self preservation keeps me down holding on if its wild, how can anyone put the drogue out, adjust the drogue as you drift, get to the motor before beaching etc without getting up?

I'm not suggesting it's OK I'm saying it's an unavoidable risk just like wading during a spate.

Al

Cap'n Fishy

For me standing to get to and from the engine is an unavoidable risk which I feel is minimal, self preservation keeps me down holding on if its wild, how can anyone put the drogue out, adjust the drogue as you drift, get to the motor before beaching etc without getting up?

I'm not suggesting it's OK I'm saying it's an unavoidable risk just like wading during a spate.

Al
The way I look at it is, it's not standing-up or sitting-down that is intrinsically dangerous, but the people who do either wrongly are putting themselves in danger.

Is this guy in danger because he is standing-up?

easker1

he's not fishing,where my son lives some of these guys take a crab pot with them, a light weight wire thing, but better them than me,Col , what I suggested isn't impossible , but it's only a suggestion not an imperative, maybe when we get our boats out I might just have an experiment, but standing up in a 15ft pioner is like standing on the shore or standing up in the bath, easker1,

easker1

he is in charge of his own destiny, it may be different if you are in a boat with some one who hasn' a clue how to behave in a boat, and they do exist, easker1