Using boats to fly fish.

3lbgrayling

Today I was out Cheating on the Lake of Menteith.Swirly wind,.Sun/Thunder..Managed a few fish over the front of the boat.None behind.They must have been hiding.(god bless them troot) probably traveled a few miles. all in all a good Fishing day with no trawling.

Jim

Cap'n Fishy

Today I was out Cheating on the Lake of Menteith.Swirly wind,.Sun/Thunder..Managed a few fish over the front of the boat.None behind.They must have been hiding.(god bless them troot) probably traveled a few miles. all in all a good Fishing day with no trawling.

Jim
You mean to say you never tried hanging the flies out the back of the boat, Jim? Jeezo - don't you know it's like shelling peas? Shooting fish in a barrel! Taking candy from a baby!! You would have sunk the boat with the number you would have caught. It's not like you were not instructed on how to do it, either. Take heed. Must do better next time!

Carry on. 🤪

3lbgrayling

You mean to say you never tried hanging the flies out the back of the boat, Jim? Jeezo - don't you know it's like shelling peas? Shooting fish in a barrel! Taking candy from a baby!! You would have sunk the boat with the number you would have caught. It's not like you were not instructed on how to do it, either. Take heed. Must do better next time!

Carry on. 🤪
Yes Col.I failed to ''Fill the boat''.But i'm no worse for this resut/(mayflies still hatching in good numbers)

Jim

JoeOh

In half an hour I'm off to back drag Lower Lough Erne. It's 37000 acres so I may be gone some time. I'll report back in October. (note to self, pack more toilet paper.)

S.
Limited to three rolls still in some stores

JohnH

In half an hour I'm off to back drag Lower Lough Erne. It's 37000 acres so I may be gone some time. I'll report back in October. (note to self, pack more toilet paper.)
English view. I have had good days (and a handful not quite so good, fishing not catching) cheating at Farmoor 2, Blagdon, Sutton Bingham, Chew and Eyebrook. But the first time I sat on a boat seat in the Rutland Water dock, I just thought "Oh.....my....god.....". So 37000 acres must be some challenge !

PaulD

Many years ago, my father came up from Cornwall to visit and I took the opportunity to take him out for a day on Rutland. It was in the days when the boats and fishing lodge were at Whitwell Creek. Late in the afternoon we were anchored in the South Arm and I noticed my father was looking around and seemed a touch concerned. I asked him if he was OK and he explained that he couldn't work out the direction we'd needed to go to get back to the boat dock!

BobP

One of the hazards at Rutland: many years ago I was out with a friend way up in the south arm. Time to go home so off we go. On the way across the main basin - like PaulD the lodge was at Whitwell then, I looked up the reservoir's north arm and saw two RAF jets approaching low. My friend was kneeling in the centre of the boat packing away his kit. I said nothing and a few seconds later these things went over us only a couple of hundred feet up if that. We never heard them until they were there. I will swear on my deathbed that there was daylight under my pal's knees. I never knew we could perform a high jump from the kneeling position!

Cap'n Fishy

S.
Good luck, Simon - it's on my list of the hardest waters I have ever fished!

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Many years ago, my father came up from Cornwall to visit and I took the opportunity to take him out for a day on Rutland. It was in the days when the boats and fishing lodge were at Whitwell Creek. Late in the afternoon we were anchored in the South Arm and I noticed my father was looking around and seemed a touch concerned. I asked him if he was OK and he explained that he couldn't work out the direction we'd needed to go to get back to the boat dock!
More than once over the years we have been out for an evening session on Loch Leven when a thick fog has come in from the North Sea. Essential to carry a compass to get back. One night it happened, the wind turned 90 degrees after the fog came in, which threw a lot of boats off the scent. We had a compass and it was still hard to accept that it must be right and we should head west to get home. A boat passed us going in completely the opposite direction. We managed to shout to them... "You're going the wrong way!" "How do you know?" "We have a compass" "Oh, good! We'll follow you." They turned and followed us and we eventually realised we were coming onto the south shore not far from the Thrapple Hole, so it was a case of turning 45 degrees right and that took us to the harbour.

There were still quite a few boats out there, trying to find home. We heard a couple of days later that the last one got in at 5 a.m., having been following a shoreline to get back, only to find the shoreline they had been following was Castle Island! 🤭

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

S.
I fished it when they held the 2000 spring international there. We had practice days that were largely flat calms and were hard going. We eventually found some fish in a bay in the Lisnarick area in the west. I took our boat there on the day of the match. When I got back, having caught nothing big enough to make the measure, my boat partner from the good practice day asked why I was fishing that bay. "That's where we found the fish yesterday", says I. "No, it wasn't, it was the next bay", he says.

Col

speytime

A couple of weeks ago.
_20200711_101944.JPG
it's not big for a Scottish loch 330 acres but if you didn't know it you could've got lost.
I thought I was drifting down the railway side then trees appeared out of the fog 😲 i was about 300mtr further down and 50 mtrs out than expected.
TBH I'd never have considered needing a compass but fishing big lochs you could easily get lost, I've since put keyring compass on my boat bag and installed one on my phone.

Al

easker1

Now you've given all your secrets away the OP will be out tomorrow to try it all out:eek: easker1

PaulD

More than once over the years we have been out for an evening session on Loch Leven when a thick fog has come in . . . 🤭
I've had a very similar experience one late evening on Assysnt. A heavy fog seemed to just drop over and envelop the loch. Luckily, I was fishing a bay just beyond Ardvreck Castle and it wasn't too bad a task to navigate back toward the Inchnadamph Hotel. Other guest weren't so lucky, particularly those who'd been fishing the opposite shore, many simply grounded and abandoned their boats and took to walking!

splinters

Good luck, Simon - it's on my list of the hardest waters I have ever fished!

Col
My home waters Col, love the place. I've been fishing it for more than thirty years but it still skelps my @rse on a regular basis. It's improved a lot in recent years since they stopped stocking and concentrated on improving natural recruitment. Now a confession, I let you all down yesterday. I didn't back drag it I'm afraid. Can you ever forgive me? In my defence the second mayfly hatch is on and there were fish moving although it was patchy. The second hatch is like that, you can motor around all day and never see a fly or you can hit the spot and fish a hundred yard square which pours mayflys out all day. To add to the problems they were coming short. Dry fly was the order of the day and a green wulff did it for me. The mate got his fish on a Mrs Brown. (Dry Mayfly pattern by Freddie Steele) There were lots of olives as well, lake olives and what looked to me like blue winged olives. About a size 16 with three tails. Spinners were the right colour as well but I don't know if they inhabit still water or not. Anyway, some of the fish were on them and some on the lake olives, plus loads of small cinnamon sedges scooting about so it wasn't easy. We got three, which was as good as any of the other boats we talked to, but we didn't really crack it. About three o'clock the sun came out and the hatches switched off for the day. This boat fishing's easy innit?

Simon.

Attachments

splinters

I've just been looking at it on Google Earth. It's nine miles from where I keep my boat to Lisnarick where Col launched. The wind yesterday was eight miles an hour westerly. I suppose I could have done it eventually as long as I didn't fall asleep and bump into an island. My bad, must do better.
S.

Latest posts