Using boats to fly fish.

codyarrow

I'll let you off as long as use a rapala next time....as long as it is on a fly line you are fine.

tenet

One of the hazards at Rutland: many years ago I was out with a friend way up in the south arm. Time to go home so off we go. On the way across the main basin - like PaulD the lodge was at Whitwell then, I looked up the reservoir's north arm and saw two RAF jets approaching low. My friend was kneeling in the centre of the boat packing away his kit. I said nothing and a few seconds later these things went over us only a couple of hundred feet up if that. We never heard them until they were there. I will swear on my deathbed that there was daylight under my pal's knees. I never knew we could perform a high jump from the kneeling position!
Similar story Bob - many years ago (at least 30) was out on Rutland and a Vulcan bomber came overhead then went vertical turning on its afterburners - the noise made my entrails quiver.

Anyway will be cheating on Chew this coming Wednesday.

3lbgrayling

I was out cheating again today,Got four.but in the non cheating mode.(whatever next).No fun this I shouuld have had a boat load if I had been proper cheating.

Jim

ohanzee

Jeltz you can take the boat and fish the shallows in comfort, I'm only 20ft from the bank.
I was fishing Carron Valley once, waded out on a sand bar maybe 150' from the bank and there were boats 20' from the bank, I'm calling it here because they moved closer when I caught, and I caught 4 fish and they caught nothing, also got one right under their boat.

speytime

I was fishing Carron Valley once, waded out on a sand bar maybe 150' from the bank and there were boats 20' from the bank, I'm calling it here because they moved closer when I caught, and I caught 4 fish and they caught nothing, also got one right under their boat.
If you have what they want I'm not surprised, I can't be doing with boats arriving because fish are being caught, its poor manners.

Al

Cap'n Fishy

There must be no skill involved to catch trout drifting around in a boat, does anyone consider that to be a form of cheating?
Here's a wee clip from Wednesday. Anyone who thinks boat fishing is easy or in some way 'cheating' is welcome to come and have a go... if you think you're hard enough! 😜

Nothing to it. Piece of piss! 🤭

iainmortimer

That was in the afternoon, after it had calmed down a lot. It was really quite breezy in the morning.

Col
I always remember my first ever visit when the wind was blowing a hooley and the waves were above eye level. I felt sad at the prospect of not getting out until the ghillie referred to it as a ‘nice wee salmon wave right enough’ and suggested I start on the dap 😳😂. No salmon that day but the sea trout put in an appearance instead.

Cap'n Fishy

I always remember my first ever visit when the wind was blowing a hooley and the waves were above eye level. I felt sad at the prospect of not getting out until the ghillie referred to it as a ‘nice wee salmon wave right enough’ 😂
He wasn't wrong. That day put the sea trout right off. However, two grilse saved our bacon!

Col

fingask

Not a wind up at all, motor up to the top of a lake or reservoir, drop a line over the side and sit there while the boat drifts down to the other end, and repeat. I would empty the lake if I did that. :D
you pick the lake I’ll pay to watch you empty it good luck you obviously have never tried to fly fish properly from a drifting boat true loch style is a skill see you on the loch sometime tight lines

fingask

I don't know what you mean, I made a comment about fishing from a boat and how it doesn't seem to require much skill, that's all. Lets face it, you don't even need to be able to cast to fish from a boat IMO.
Your talking trolling not fly fishing why not drag a net behind you while your at it anytime you want to try real loch fishing come up
Here's a wee clip from Wednesday. Anyone who thinks boat fishing is easy or in some way 'cheating' is welcome to come and have a go... if you think you're hard enough! 😜

Nothing to it. Piece of piss! 🤭
going to need a bigger boat nice troot