Using boats to fly fish.

Cap'n Fishy

Needed to take a leak on Calder last week. So sensibly grabbed the bailer, stood up and started whistling. Only to find a puddle developing on the seat box? Crack in the bottom of the old comfort softener bottle bailer. 😭 :)
One of the guys in our club, who shall remain nameless, got up to have a pee in one of those Comfort fabric softener bottles. He had it by the handle and was unscrewing the top in order to pee into it. I managed just in time to spot what he was doing and to point out to him that the bottom had been cut off it to make it into a bailer scoop and that if he peed into the open top it was all going to come out the other end and land on his boots! 🤭

Cap'n Fishy

I had you down as a sensible, experienced angler. You are now in the d!ckhead category.
I had you in that category at Post #120.

What is it about ghillies and 'guides' and anyone who makes money from fishing? It gives them an air of superiority... like, "I'm a professional and you aren't, so that must mean that I'm an expert and you should listen to what I have to say on the matter, because I know more about it all than you do..." :unsure:

Last edited:

bignedkelly

There must be no skill involved to catch trout drifting around in a boat, does anyone consider that to be a form of cheating?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Excellent Trolling sir (pun intended)
Although I have been float tubing the last couple of years and in my opinion this does indeed make fishing considerably easier also more comfortable and even more enjoyable.
Best bit about being afloat is that line of trout that seem to know exactly how far you can cast and continue rising 3 or 4 yards further out are now, with a couple of flicks of the fins, within reach.

jack_russell

Anyways - back to the cheating; my mate has booked us a boat on chew this weekend, not had a good cheating session for a while so looking forward to it - even went into the shed this afternoon to check the cheating gear - I'm delighted to report the drogue, boat seat & lifejacket are ready to go! ⚓

easker1

I was employed by the hotel, the fishing was with a gillie only, so there was no compromise, I was 5years in the merchant Navy and 15 years as a Lobster fisherman, I was a coxwain at School in 27 foot Montague whalers, I think I may have the requisite boat handling Skills,on our big loch we go 3 to the Boat each gillying in turn , and we arent allowed to let any one out with out a Member present, this is on our lease, I call my own personal Gillie Shakespear,I do understand your dilemma Col, we have no boats out this year so it won't be a problem easker1

Cap'n Fishy

No Gillie?,Col easker1
Ah, OK, with you now. I don't think of it as a 'dilemma'. My mates and I have always fished from boats without a ghillie. Up and down the length and breadth of the UK, from Orkney to Chew; from Lewis to Rutland. In the days before electric motors, one of us would have to get on the oars every time the drift needed adjustment. Of course, to do that, one of us would have to stand up from our bow or stern seat and move to the middle thwart and sit down to get on the oars. Or just row while standing up - done that plenty times. Now we have electric motors, it's almost like being given a ghillie - a real bonus. 👍 In some boats the seating arrangement allows you to reach the outboard without getting out your seat. In other boats that is impossible, so again, you have to stand up and make the adjustment and then sit down again. The Sweeney 'Lomond' boats come in 2 designs...

In this one, you can reach the outboard without standing up...

But I can't reach the o/b from my seat in the one with the 'horseshoe' arrangement...

But it's not a problem for me to stand up to reach the outboard. It's only a problem for a few others.

Col

codyarrow

But it's not a problem for me to stand up to reach the outboard. It's only a problem for a few others.

Col
Worse than axe murdering it seems. :whistle:

Maybe my attitude to this is slanted from being at sea in force 10's on yachts and having to stand up to get things done but I can only see the risk of standing up to play a fish from under the back of an inland boat or moving to the outboard is anything but minimal. Certainly not warranting some of the responses.
Save the abuse for those without life jackets.

Cap'n Fishy

Maybe my attitude to this is slanted from being at sea in force 10's on yachts and having to stand up to get things done but I can only see the risk of standing up to play a fish from under the back of an inland boat or moving to the outboard is anything but minimal. Certainly not warranting some of the responses.
Another scenario - the single angler...

If you want the boat to drift straight with the breeze, you have to sit in the centre. Sitting at the stern causes the bow to rise and catch the breeze, and it turns you nose down the wind, and off you go at a rate of knots.

So, sit in the middle...

But then you have to stand up and move to the stern every time you need to use the motor...

Cap'n Fishy

Opportunity, remote control of electric outboards, power and steering. Must be coming.
Think Minn Kota do some kind of remote control thing with their bow-mount models? Works off pedals?

Still not going to solve the issue of when you need to fire up the petrol motor, eh?

I'm still waiting for a reasonably-priced, well-designed lithium-ion motor. Those Torqeedo ones don't do it for me... not at a bag of sand plus, anyway. Someone mentioned a company was coming out with a better one some time soon. Ring any bells???

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Real men always sit in the middle. Real men use oars.

You would be happy to row the length of Loch Lomond (where those last 2 pics were taken), or Loch Arkaig or Loch Shiel or Lough Corrib, or Rutland Water - or a thousand other large waters, would you? And without ever needing to stand up at any point?

Last edited:

skyeman1

Think Minn Kota do some kind of remote control thing with their bow-mount models? Works off pedals?

Still not going to solve the issue of when you need to fire up the petrol motor, eh?

I'm still waiting for a reasonably-priced, well-designed lithium-ion motor. Those Torqeedo ones don't do it for me... not at a bag of sand plus, anyway. Someone mentioned a company was coming out with a better one some time soon. Ring any bells???

Col
I haven't been looking, just the post made me think. Batteries and motors are improving quickly, driven partly by the auto industry. Maybe some tech savvy fisho will scale down some of that, eg e-power steering and add a remote control. Think of the arguments about who had the remote in hand!

anzac

I haven't been looking, just the post made me think. Batteries and motors are improving quickly, driven partly by the auto industry. Maybe some tech savvy fisho will scale down some of that, eg e-power steering and add a remote control. Think of the arguments about who had the remote in hand!
From an engineering point of view, that would be pretty easy to do given what is being done with robotics. Add a mobile phone app as a controller and Bob's your uncle.

Cap'n Fishy

For sure. Like I said, I am waiting for something better in the way of lithium-ion power to become available. If they can marry it to remote control, that would be even better.

Col

codyarrow

At the moment I get about 5 mins from a 4.0ah lihium - ion battery with an angle grinder. Milwaukee do 9.0ah batteries but they would need to progress a fair way to create 2hp.
Not sure I would be keen on the technology of steering by phone, something romantic about holding on the rudder of the engine.

Cap'n Fishy

At the moment I get about 5 mins from a 4.0ah lihium - ion battery with an angle grinder. Milwaukee do 9.0ah batteries but they would need to progress a fair way to create 2hp.
Not sure I would be keen on the technology of steering by phone, something romantic about holding on the rudder of the engine.
Scott (Scobo on the forum) built himself a Li-ion pack for his Minn Kota. Used cells designed for drones/model aircraft. Runs all day on it...

You can buy a Li-ion battery off the shelf, but they are not cheap...

And you can buy Li-ion outboards equivalent to or more powerful than the petrol ones we use.

Again - not cheap!

Meanwhile, Frandy Res in Glendevon is now propane-powered...

Gawd-awful things to get started. Thirty years newer than my 2-stroke Evinrude, which starts first time with a pull of your pinkie. Those things have your shoulder out, trying to get them going! Progress?

Last edited:

Latest posts