Usk Reservoir, Carmarthenshire

WelshOsprey

What a Beautiful Day

Had a great day here today. Had an invite to join Invicta135 on his boat, so he could show me how well Usk was fishing, especially as last season's invite saw us out in very windy conditions. We did well to catch a couple each that day. Invicta135 kindly gave me his recommended patterns to try and both of us were into fish within minutes, if not seconds. Fish came steadily but as they were high up in the water we changed to the dries and the fish readily approved of the change in method, as fish came frequently to the boat. It was great to see fish coming upwind and then taking our strategically placed offerings put in their path. I have had my doubts about Usk in the past having failed there on a few occasions from the bank but it really put on a great show for us today. In fact probably my best day ever on a reservoir. In fact the only downer, was when we went to net a double hook up at the end, only to discover that the net must have slipped overboard somewhere back upwind. I must therefore thank Invicta135 for the invite, flies and advice etc that he selflessly gave me today. The memory will live long, although it won't be very long before I go back, whether from bank or boat.

Last edited:

flashback

usk resevoir

Glad to see you enjoyed the usk experience, any chance you could let us in on the succsesfull patterns? Did go up there a fortnight back & had 5 off the bank on black hoppers.;)

flashback

Thank You, Hope to go up the Usk Saturday for a walk, with a bit of luck might get a few with the dries been tying hare's ear hoppers as my mate had a few on them last time, I didnt have any so had to stick to black hoppers. Thanks again Invicta 135 will try bibio hoppers & dabblers as well.

flashback

usk

Fished the usk yesterday (saturday). Had 4 fish & lost 4. First fish fell to a black nymph & i lost 1 on the nymph, the rest came to an all black hopper. Missed a few takes on the bibio hopper. My mate had 6. mostly on a black hopper. He had 1 on a fiery brown hopper & 1 on a black spider. There was a lot of small black flies on the water in the afternoon, not sure what they were but looked land bred. Fish were up taking them when it wasn't to windy.

invicta135

Fished it today (Mon) i had 3 rainbows and 1 brown all on different flies 1 on a bibio hopper 1 on a red and silver dabbler i on a damsel and 1 on a black and peacock. An easterly wind and bright sunshine did'nt help hardly saw a fish move all day, flat calm to a light ripple made for a difficult day on the boat and my boat partner for the day blanked.

Last edited:

flashback

usk res

Fished the usk yesterday (sat). Really hard work, had 1 on a hare's ear hopper when the wind eased off & the fish came up briefly. every time it looked promising the wind picked up again. Not much showing even when the wind died down towards the end. Spoke to a couple of guys in a boat ( only one out ) they had 3 on DI 7 & boobies. Not many caught on the day.

invicta135

Fished it today (Friday) on the boat, conditions looked really good but I only saw 1 fish rise all day, I hooked 2 but lost them both and ended up with a blank. Didnt see any of the bank anglers catching either. Beginning to wonder if there are any left in there.

invicta135

Prices for 2011

Hi all
Just had the prices for 2011. Boat £185 for the year and £16 for a six fish day ticket.

Regards Mark

flashback

usk resovoir

Went up the usk today, had 4 fish also lost a few. Caught them by the ticket shed. Didnt go far as I was with my mate & his young boy. ( my mate had 6). Caught them on olive & black & green lures with a couple on diawl bachs. It was a crackin day for it. All the fish were caught on intermediates. Started on a sink tip, had a few offers but nothing stuck. Really enjoyed.

invicta135

Going up for the 4th time this year on Friday. Its fishing really well with the fish coming to lures nymphs buzzers and even a few to dries. I'll try to post on the weekend all the fish were caught up the top end on the boat.

Regards Mark

invicta135

Fished on mon 26th had 4 fish in the morning on buzzers but after that plagued by perch catching 2 or 3 at a time all over the lake.

Regards Mark

invicta135

Fished on thurs 12/05 caught plenty of fish but all down deep on a booby no fish rising anywhere.

Regards Mark

WelshOsprey

Thought they would have been up top taking the hoppers by now Mark. Mind you there is a cold tinge to the wind. Do you think it's this thats sending them down?

Regards
Stu

Fished on thurs 12/05 caught plenty of fish but all down deep on a booby no fish rising anywhere.

Regards Mark

invicta135

Hi All
Fished today 10/06/11, large hatches of mayfly and lake olives, when the wind was kind and dropped a bit fish were coming readily to the dries, but if the wind picked up up nymphs and dabblers did the job. Had a lovely day again cant wait to go up again. Most of the fish were caught up the top end, Pine Tree Bay was really good, all fish were caught from the boat.

Regards Mark

invicta135

Hi All
I've fished four times in the last month and glad to say its fishing really well even though its very low. Fish coming mostly to claret or silver dabblers or if they are on the dries bibio or claret hoppers.

Regards Mark

invicta135

Re-opens next weekend £195 for boats £17 i think for a day ticket 6 fish tight lines to all

Regards Mark