UV resin torches/UV resin

wchaudhrey

Hi all

Ive got into fly tying recently and i am now interested in getting some UV resin however i just wanted to know a little more about torches. Will any fly tying UV torch work on any brand of UV resin? Or do i have to match the resin with the torch in terms of brand? Some torches are very expensive and i am just wondering if an expensive one is really worth it? Recommendations of what UV resins are good would be helpful too.

Also it would help if they were in stock but UV resin seems to be sold out everywhere no matter what brand, whats that about?

Thanks

david barnes

After much trialling I’ve found Bug Off to be the best and the black light pens to be the most suitable and quickest method to cure.
Just make sure you invest in protective glasses or use your polarised lens, if nothing else.

pentlandflyman

Bug off is awful imo, turns yellow and stays tacky so unless they have changed the recipe in the last two years i would only recommend it to someone i hated.

Deer creek by a mile and the uv laser pens from ebay are ideal for curing it rock hard. I have had my pen for approx 4 years and it is as good as the first time i used it, batteries last ages.

You will get guys telling you to buy all different brands of resin and lights but do a search and you will see deer creek doesn't have anything bad said about it and i have zero connection to deer creek, i have had a few run ins with the owner and hate buying his product but it is the best...i am hearing good things about Gulff resin but i haven't used it yet so can't recommend it.

wchaudhrey

Thanks, that helps. Do you mind putting a link on here on the pen youre talking about? It would be nice to see the actual product so i get the right one. Might give deer creek a look too

Mark Daniel

+1 for bug off . i've tried a bunch and this was by far the best. no tacky issues or clouding.
you can get the single UV bulb pen off Ebay (around £6) -https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251951945522

original cormorant

+1 for cheap laser pens. You certainly don't need an expensive torch.

The issue I've had is smell. My saltwater fly boxes reek of UV resin - does anyone know a cure (pun alert) for this?

I remember years ago learning that an onion cut in half for gets rid of paint smells in newly decorated rooms, is anything like this likely to work?

roger h 10

Bug off is awful imo, turns yellow and stays tacky so unless they have changed the recipe in the last two years i would only recommend it to someone i hated.

Deer creek by a mile and the uv laser pens from ebay are ideal for curing it rock hard. I have had my pen for approx 4 years and it is as good as the first time i used it, batteries last ages.

You will get guys telling you to buy all different brands of resin and lights but do a search and you will see deer creek doesn't have anything bad said about it and i have zero connection to deer creek, i have had a few run ins with the owner and hate buying his product but it is the best...i am hearing good things about Gulff resin but i haven't used it yet so can't recommend it.
I agree Deer Creek is the best that I've found, other than that Good old epoxy is still great although not as easy to work with but it dries clear and tackfree.

tbs

I agree Deer Creek is the best that I've found, other than that Good old epoxy is still great although not as easy to work with but it dries clear and tackfree.
I have only ever used Deer Creek and have never had any problems, whereas my mate says he had issues of tackiness with Bug Off. 🙂👍

Scotty90

Deer creek is good, gulff not bad but can be tacky. By far the best I’ve used is solarez thin and as already stated uv laser pointers are far better than fancy torches. Although the deer creek and solarez set tack free I always put a coat of Sally Hansen’s on top of buzzers etc, better gloss and more durable finish but for heads and tags I just use uv.

• Thanks
Reactions: tbs

wchaudhrey

Just looking at deer creek at the moment, which of their UV resins is a good all purpose one to start off with?

jedifly

I use a cheap and cheerful laser pen from eBay and find that it's great to use. I've had mine for a few years now and have only changed the batteries once.
Can't remember where on eBay I got it from but there's quite a few for sale and not very expensive.

jedifly

Ooops should have said that's the resin I use as well. It doesn't set straight away but leave it for about 10 hours/overnight and it does the job............£12 for 50g, bargain.

goldenolive

Solarez Bone dry is brilliant.
I have been using it since it came out, allot of my friends use it now aswell.
I searched for a light that is extremeIy similar to the Solarez torch and bought a 501B uv light from ebay, which takes a 18650 battery.
The light is 365 nm.
I bought two 18650 batteries, one in the torch and one on charge.
My 18650 charger is a usb type which plugs into the back of my bench top Led fly tying lamp.
I have also set the resin with a cheap laser pointer which works too.
the only issue with the resin, it it will go thick if the temperature it is stored is very low.
My tying shed is outside and sometimes in winter my resin will thicken. I just bring a mug of warm water with me to sit the bottle in for a minute or two and its good again.
some of my mates put the bottle in the microwave for a couple of seconds which also works.

If you are not tying allot of flies a cheaper option would be to buy a small 5 gram tube of the blue thin Solarez resin and laser pointer.

Troutbhoy

I would go for a UV torch that has a wavelength 365nm they are MUCH better for curing resin, the pens which I used have a wavelength of 401nm which in my opinion still leave the flies tacky no matter which resin you use, definitely get the 18650 rechargeable battery with charger if you can, some come with a torch, for the resin I use Solarez thin but have heard Deer Creek is really good, Bug Off is just awful & you can thin your resins out again with a few drops of pure acetone into the resin