Varnish Brush

Green29

Veniard's Cellire Varnish, the bottles don't come with a brush what do you use as an applicator? dried
up a small brush already.

Thanks

Green29

Thanks, Banjo, thought I would give that a go next the needles arrived yesterday. This is a great resource to pick other's brains.

original cormorant

I use a dubbing needle and wipe it clean on a tissue after use.
Just one modification - assuming that you still have a 35mm film canister knocking around.
Take a 35mm film canister stuff it really full with wire wool or green pan scourer, cut a cross in the lid and replace the lid. Store and clean your dubbing needle in this - inserting the needle through the cross you cut in the lid.
Cleans the dubbing needle, stores it safely and also makes it big enough not to lose it.

Cam

Also use a dubbing needle and wipe the tip clean with my fingers when done.

pedros

With the Veniards, I use a dubbing needle and dip into the lid not the bottle to better gauge how much is on the needle.

Gdog

Just one modification - assuming that you still have a 35mm film canister knocking around.
Take a 35mm film canister stuff it really full with wire wool or green pan scourer, cut a cross in the lid and replace the lid. Store and clean your dubbing needle in this - inserting the needle through the cross you cut in the lid.
Cleans the dubbing needle, stores it safely and also makes it big enough not to lose it.
This is a really good idea, I normally use a needle and stick it in a block of polystyrene I keep my materials, I still have to clean the needle or it gets a build up of varnish.

easker1

I have one of the varnish dispensing bottles a fine almost Hypodermic tube gets the Varnish were ever you need it, I've had one for years, easker1

Cam

I use a dubbing needle too and the bit from the bottom of a peacock hurl to clean the hook eye if any varnish gets into it.
That's a good point. I usually use the left over tips from a feather and run it through the eye after applying varnish. Saves that annoying moment when the fish are up and you need to unblock the hook eye :)