bigtel

Worst marabou I've ever seen.
Barely enough length to tie cormorants.no more from veniards

Attachments

• 20210305_080640.jpg
    20210305_080640.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 82

wobbly face

I got a black dyed cock hackle cape (poor advertising and description on the web). It wasn't cheap though felt it wasn't badly priced, until it arrived. It was a Veniards. Overly dyed and dye poorly fixed. If it was in it's natural state then it wouldn't have been too bad, mediocre at best. I gave it away and bought a Collins natural black. (y)

bigtel

I got a black dyed cock hackle cape (poor advertising and description on the web). It wasn't cheap though felt it wasn't badly priced, until it arrived. It was a Veniards. Overly dyed and dye poorly fixed. If it was in it's natural state then it wouldn't have been too bad, mediocre at best. I gave it away and bought a Collins natural black. (y)
Its a wonder they still in business

1st_teamsunbed

Some of the Verniard offerings on Ebay are definitely fraudulent. A list of some not too expensive alternatives would be much appreciated . I’m getting better at the tying , it’s slow going but I’m getting there. I won’t splash out too much until I reach to a certain threshold/level of competency.

I need at least three cock capes and some cul de canard to add to my stock.

colliedog

I tend to avoid and use the likes of Cookshill, Lathkill, IFS and other small suppliers where I can.

They are expensive and quality is unreliable.

That said, I recently added a couple of packs of Veniards marabou to an order of other stuff and the quality was superb. Really long and dense. It's too hit and miss.

BTW, I find Veniards lead wire useless, hard and shiny like solder. I suspect a low lead content. Anyone recommend a good quality soft lead wire (can you still get the square wire anywhere?)

rfcellis

Some of the Verniard offerings on Ebay are definitely fraudulent. A list of some not too expensive alternatives would be much appreciated . I’m getting better at the tying , it’s slow going but I’m getting there. I won’t splash out too much until I reach to a certain threshold/level of competency.

I need at least three cock capes and some cul de canard to add to my stock.

Try Steve Cooper at Cookshill. Best value - quality balance out there. A whiting intro pack of half cock capes (try Lakeland) also a good investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pentlandflyman

Their marabou is awful especially the black which is more navy blue and dyes everything it touches. I have started to use artic fox or craft fur more as I'm finding decent marabou hard to find or extortionate.

bobfly2

Also Orvis fly tying deer hair and marabou is poor....... AVOID !

easker1

when I started veniards had taken over from a firm called Messina, I was hoping to start a flytying and tackle business with the Help of the Highlands and Islands Development board, but Messina beat me as veniards, at the time if you were tying flies that is all you had, iuntil I found Frank Elder for game capes and an Irish firm in Donegal for other feathers and McHardys who were tying flies them selves, but gave me the chance to buy some supplies from them, I had to travel from Newcastle to carlisle to get the stuff,I knew no other fly tiers other than in the Mags, Ibread my own game birds, much to the consternation of my Next door neighbour in wallsend, Nothing like a cockerel crowing at 3am to annoy the neighbours, happy days, I had a standing order of 8dozen a week this was a spare time thing I could never fill the order,but it kept going, and I was making rods in the mean time,finding time to fish was a problem, til I moved to the highlands, Veniards moved on but I never got any help from the HIDB, easker1

vandiemen

Ongoing issues with Veniards .....
You order a bulk spool of 0.37mm lead wire for £7.99.
They send you a 50g spool of 0.4mm wire that costs £6.50, and then claim not to understand what you are talking about when you complain.

len1

I'm finding decent marabou hard to find or extortionate.
Dave Downie’s marabou is excellent.

crazyfool92

Yes it is. Was just about to post this.

pentlandflyman

I actually prefer artic fox and craft fur now, even the pseudo marabou from hareline is good. Don't think I would go back to marabou, I have a stock of the flybox stuff and once that runs out that will be it.