Video editing

Clunk

Anyone know of a safe, free, cheap or even free trial piece of software that would let me crop the background (not the length) of a short video)

Cheers

Fishtales

What do you mean by cropping the background? Do you mean zoom in more and have less of the background showing? I can do that in Vegas but that isn't cheap :)

Clunk

What do you mean by cropping the background? Do you mean zoom in more and have less of the background showing? I can do that in Vegas but that isn't cheap :)
Less background yes, but not necessarily a zoom in. I would just like to crop out the background as can be done with a still picture. Not something I see doing much of, so cheap or free.

diawl bach

Checked to see whether Adobe Premiere Elements could do that, it's the programme I've used for videos which offers free trials and there was this discussion on the Adbe forum which you may find helpful. It's a tricky business by the looks.

Cap'n Fishy

Less background yes, but not necessarily a zoom in. I would just like to crop out the background as can be done with a still picture. Not something I see doing much of, so cheap or free.
Less background is effectively a zoom-in though.

I have Photoshop CC. It's a piece of cake to do, but same as Sandy, it's taking a piledriver to crack a small nut.

If you just have a couple fo files you want to crop, if you Dropbox them to me with a still showing a bounding box over the area you want cropped, I can do them for you - it's a 1-minute job.

Col

Clunk

Thanks guys.
lepirate, I'll look into that link. Cap'n wouldn't know dropbox if it landed on my head :D but if its OK I'll get back to you if I'm still struggling later.

Cap'n Fishy

Cap'n wouldn't know dropbox if it landed on my head :D but if its OK I'll get back to you if I'm still struggling later.
Aye, no bother. Don't worry about Dropbox - I can send it to you and you just put your file in it.

Col

Wallace Gomes

You can use openshot video editor. It is open source and free to use.
fish crop.png
iMovie and Microsoft Photos app are also capable of cropping videos. But they put some limits in aspect ratio. For example, iMovie won’t let you yield square videos.

Lewis Chessman

Sorry, Wallace, it's a programme I've barely used myself. My editing needs have been simply topping and tailing and removing adverts and for that I use VideoReDo. I think I paid about £20 for it a decade ago but it is incredibly easy to use and when I've need support (re-send the key when putting on a new machine) I've have A1 support from them. Its only negative is limited format capabilities. Other than that it's a dream, processing edited video in seconds rather than hours. Try emailing the company (Da Vinci) for advice.

Wallace Gomes

Sorry, Wallace, it's a programme I've barely used myself. My editing needs have been simply topping and tailing and removing adverts and for that I use VideoReDo. I think I paid about £20 for it a decade ago but it is incredibly easy to use and when I've need support (re-send the key when putting on a new machine) I've have A1 support from them. Its only negative is limited format capabilities. Other than that it's a dream, processing edited video in seconds rather than hours. Try emailing the company (Da Vinci) for advice.
Thanks for reply. ☺ The support of DaVinci Resolve suggests me to change a PC, or improve the system hard disk. So I might improve my system later.

Lewis Chessman

Thanks for reply. ☺ The support of DaVinci Resolve suggests me to change a PC, or improve the system hard disk. So I might improve my system later.
You may well find that just increasing the RAM will do what you need for the least cost? Whether you can do that will depend on your motherboard, its potential capacity and how much RAM is in there already. The MB's capacity and number of slots can be established by Googling the make and model and System Information should tell you what is in your PC already. You just have to be careful about getting all the details correct when ordering more RAM. I'm no techy but have managed it before myself. If in doubt either post your own thread here or, probably better, on a computer forum. If you have a spare slot you may overcome the issue for about £30-£40 - and everything else you do on the PC will be faster too, of course.
Best of luck with it.

LunaaaaaYia

I myself do not favor those big names - Adobe Premiere, DaVinci Resolve, VSDC, Cyberlink - poor at learning those NLE tools. But online croppers surprised me at cropping some videos within 100MB/500MB. You can check this out - 3 free online video croppers.

I personally, like an I-D-I-O-T, use VideoProc for quick cropping and transcoding when my video is over 500MB. Darn quick & simple, LOL.

cropvid.jpg

Or you can check out other free cropping tool suggestions.