Vintage Glass rods;

stevel

I would love to put up some photo's for you but I haven't got a clue how to do it.
Thank you for the information on serial numbers, I will check and let you know.
The rod weighs 3 5/8ths oz a deep mahogany brown and it does glow ( great )
Serial no S606395 it has two stripper guides on the bottom half and 8 snakes on the top half
including the tip top.
The tying's are a lighter brown tipped with white and the basket weave threads in front of the hook keeper, and a chocolate bronze down lock reel seat.
What year of manufacture do you think?
Regards
Hi Uncas,
Uploading pics if you have them on your PC is easy.
You can edit your post, then click on the Attach Files button, or you can click on the Insert Image icon on the top menu. Then you can just drag and drop your jpeg picture files using an Window Explorer right onto to little window which pops up.
Drop me a PM if you want more info.
Cheers,
Steve

Uncas

Hi Uncas,
Uploading pics if you have them on your PC is easy.
You can edit your post, then click on the Attach Files button, or you can click on the Insert Image icon on the top menu. Then you can just drag and drop your jpeg picture files using an Window Explorer right onto to little window which pops up.
Drop me a PM if you want more info.
Cheers,
Steve
Thank you for the offer Steve,
I might take you up on that, sometime when I am in the mood to play with the computer.

Old McDonald

Yes you're correct, those clips show men using solid bamboo or fiberglass poles.
However I did find some modern clips of some fishing fleets (South East Asia?) using fiberglass poles, most probably solid, catching albacore in the manner they did nearly 100 years ago off the US west coast.
Quite frankly I'd prefer to eat fish caught in this manner, even if it was more expensive, as opposed to fish caught by the dredge trawlers sucking up everything and throwing away 90% of bycatch.
See this up-to-date tuna fishing in the Açores (Azores in English)

My wife and I had planned to move there after selling our small farm on the mainland, but given the problems of Covid and old age are now considering moving back to northern Scotland or Orkney.

I only joined the forum on Hogmanay and find it very informative. In my 2nd post I reported that I have a 7' hollow glassfibre Canadian rod I bought almost 60 years ago for £3/7/6d. My biggest fish on it is a six and a hlaf pound salmon from the River Lyon, a tributary of the Tay, but it was accidental as I was fishing for trout. Nevertheless it landed the fish.

It has no line information on itbut a #4 goes well. I just liked the feel of it when I tried it in the shop. Bell's in Morpeth, Northumberland if anybody knew Derek and his father.

Uncas

Very interesting McDonald, Wonderful game fishing in the Azores.
The video! not sport fishing I'm afraid.
I hope you get a chance to use your Canadian rod again soon.

Old McDonald

Very interesting McDonald, Wonderful game fishing in the Azores.
The video! not sport fishing I'm afraid.
I hope you get a chance to use your Canadian rod again soon.
I am aware the video is commercial fishing, but I linked it in reference to Stevel's post which I quoted, and he had referred to "fishing fleets" using poles, so I merely showed him that it is still done now in Europe.

Lewis Chessman

Hi, Old McDonald, welcome to the forum. I'm just being curious but what make is your Canadian fibreglass rod?
All the best in getting to Orkney, there's some of the best and most varied trout fishing I've ever enjoyed there. Long, hard winters though!

Uncas

Hello McDonald,

If they have Trout fishing on the Azores, That's where I would go to retire.
At least it would be a lot warmer than Orkney.
Up there they might have long winter nights like Norway.

Old McDonald

Hi, Old McDonald, welcome to the forum. I'm just being curious but what make is your Canadian fibreglass rod?
All the best in getting to Orkney, there's some of the best and most varied trout fishing I've ever enjoyed there. Long, hard winters though!

It is an Algonquin-Blanchard Model 710. From what I have seen on the internet I think I could get my £3/7/6d back plus a little interest. I would never sell it though. A few years after buying it I met my wife and she has used it as her one and only rod on small and large rivers and stillwaters, invariably using her favourite Garden Fly - one of the reasons I have done so little fly fishing in the last 50-odd years, we need to be where she can ply her craft. We honeymooned on Rannoch Moor in 1971 and she caught quite a few small brownies for the kitchen. Never looked back.

We have had temperatures down to minus 3.5ºC this week and a max of 5.4º yesterday. The winters in Orkney are a lot less severe than we had on our hill farm in Northumberland, and probably do not last any longer. We did have the consolation of a few hundred yards of the River Rede, a tributary of the N.Tyne. Good trout, but few salmon in those days and I never caught one. There is an old poem "It must be Spring in Redesdale if the frost will lift by Noon. The weather it says February, but the calendar says June."

Hello McDonald,

There is some in the lakes on São Miguel but there are far too many people on the island for our liking. We decided that Pico is where we would be and I had accepted I would be sea fishing and gardening for the rest of my days. I have not done any sea fishing since living not far from the Pacific Coast of NSW, Australia between 1990 and '92 and have a beach caster that has never been used. Full-time farming does not leave a lot of leisure time. Covid has us re-thinking the future.

You are right about temperatures - presently around 16º down to 12 or so overnight on Pico. The long winter nights of the far north do not bother us. We farmed on the Black Isle north of Inverness before coming here.

Old McDonald

Well you do have a very interesting dilemma, I wish I had the same.
Good luck with your choice.

It is not the first time. In 1979 (after losing too many sheep in blizzards) we were undecided about going to Australia or the Falklands. Fortunately we chose Australia. Lost a lot of money through drought, but I would have objected to foreign soldiers marauding over my land and probably would not have lived to tell the tale.

Iberian

Hello McDonald,

Some of the rivers and lakes on some of the islands are stocked with small rainbows, also the SWFF can be pretty amazing. Definitely much warmer!

Old McDonald

Some of the rivers and lakes on some of the islands are stocked with small rainbows, also the SWFF can be pretty amazing. Definitely much warmer!
If we can sell, and if travel is permittted we have decided Orkney is our first choice. With a combination of over 30 summers between Australia and Portugal I suppose we have had more sushine in our lives than most Brits receive.

I see you are in Coimbra. That is where my heart surgery was done. Excellent hospital.

easker1

when I was in Durban in the late 50's the fishermen there used Bamboo poles fishing for sharks off the long pier there, easker1