Fly Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Still not got mine, everything in apart from the spools and no date for their arrival. I could get the rods tomorrow if i want but i'm in no rush and prefer everything together. haven't read a bad word about them yet though and i'm already looking at the 7ft #3 for the local small rivers...Anyone interested in one Anglers lodge have them a bit cheaper than most others with free delivery included ;-) https://www.anglers-lodge.co.uk/product/vision-hero-single-handed-fly-rod/

The Vision Super Hero 9' 5wt was reviewed in the latest Trout and Salmon and came out as a T&S recommended. "The rod's credentials are difficult to ignore".

Different in what way mate please... Did you buy the hero reel as well..
The action is very different plus they have changed the reel seat from a nice wooden one to a metal one which added a considerable amount of weight to the butt section.

I would like to try some of the other rods in the range as I generally like Vision products. I currently have 4 Onki's and 4 SISU's all of which are really good rods. The 10# 5 Onki is absolutely brilliant.

The action is very different plus they have changed the reel seat from a nice wooden one to a metal one which added a considerable amount of weight to the butt section.

I would like to try some of the other rods in the range as I generally like Vision products. I currently have 4 Onki's and 4 SISU's all of which are really good rods. The 10# 5 Onki is absolutely brilliant.
Here is the full range chart that tells you the weight and spec for each rod.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

My Hero stack arrived today and I'm extremely happy with it all, I can give a quality review but won't get to actually fish with it for a few weeks...here it goes!

3/5 reel is pretty stunning looking and lightweight, reel foot is built into the frame and is set quite low so the reel sits very nicely onto the rod. A nice smooth drag with a good range and easy to set. Plastic spool retainer feels a bit cheap but overall I'm happy with it, comes in a basic cloth pouch. Balances the 8 #4 rod perfectly.

4/6 reel as above

4/6 spools come in cloth bags

8 #4 Dry Hero rod, stunning! Colour is a brassy gold which is really nice and quite different to anything else out there. Lovely small wooden insert reel seat and beautiful slim Cork handle and its maybe the best I've seen in a long time. Quite a fast action from wiggling it but can't really tell until it has a line on it. Hero reel balances it perfectly and looks fantastic on it. Comes in a partitioned cordura tube (no bag). Really top quality build on this rod and typical Vision attention to detail and it has a keeper ring! Something missed from a few other Vision rods.

9'9" #6 Still Hero, as above but rod has a small black eva fighting butt, same wooden insert reel seat and another slim cork handle but it's not as good quality as the 8 #4. Again it has the keeper ring! A lovely fast action on the wiggle test and stunning build quality again.

Both rods have line up marks so easy to set up and they are very lightweight. So far I'm liking more than the Onki but can't fully commit until I've fished with them, looks wise though it's Hero 1 Onki 0, Vision 5 year guarantee with £20 handling fee, rod will be replaced with the same or newer model.

My Hero stack arrived today and I'm extremely happy with it all, I can give a quality review but won't get to actually fish with it for a few weeks...here it goes!

3/5 reel is pretty stunning looking and lightweight, reel foot is built into the frame and is set quite low so the reel sits very nicely onto the rod. A nice smooth drag with a good range and easy to set. Plastic spool retainer feels a bit cheap but overall I'm happy with it, comes in a basic cloth pouch. Balances the 8 #4 rod perfectly.

4/6 reel as above

4/6 spools come in cloth bags

8 #4 Dry Hero rod, stunning! Colour is a brassy gold which is really nice and quite different to anything else out there. Lovely small wooden insert reel seat and beautiful slim Cork handle and its maybe the best I've seen in a long time. Quite a fast action from wiggling it but can't really tell until it has a line on it. Hero reel balances it perfectly and looks fantastic on it. Comes in a partitioned cordura tube (no bag). Really top quality build on this rod and typical Vision attention to detail and it has a keeper ring! Something missed from a few other Vision rods.

9'9" #6 Still Hero, as above but rod has a small black eva fighting butt, same wooden insert reel seat and another slim cork handle but it's not as good quality as the 8 #4. Again it has the keeper ring! A lovely fast action on the wiggle test and stunning build quality again.

Both rods have line up marks so easy to set up and they are very lightweight. So far I'm liking more than the Onki but can't fully commit until I've fished with them, looks wise though it's Hero 1 Onki 0, Vision 5 year guarantee with £20 handling fee, rod will be replaced with the same or newer model.
Many thanks for a very informative write up. I can't quite understand why Vision have stuck to a wooden reel insert on the 9'9" #6 but have put a heavier metal one on the 9' #6, I thought that it was more likely to be the other way round. Also strange that the build quality is better on the #4 than on the #6.

Many thanks for a very informative write up. I can't quite understand why Vision have stuck to a wooden reel insert on the 9'9" #6 but have put a heavier metal one on the 9' #6, I thought that it was more likely to be the other way round. Also strange that the build quality is better on the #4 than on the #6.
It's just the handle but it's no worse than higher end Greys and other expensive rods I've seen, corks are a hit or miss and its near impossible to find perfect now. The Cork on the #4 is one of the best I've seen but there isn't much to it so maybe that's why. The handle on the #6 is also full Cork with no rubber or composite on the ends. everything else is top quality workmanship and both are built in Korea. As for why they used a wooden insert on the 9' 9" and metal on the 9' I have no idea but I'm glad they did ? I notice the 9' #6 has no tag either, it's just a Hero as is the 9' #5, all the others are still, dry, coast etc.

I have an agility rise 7ft rod I bought for fishing my local over grown river and again its a very small and superb quality cork so maybe the smaller the handle the better ?

It's just the handle but it's no worse than higher end Greys and other expensive rods I've seen, corks are a hit or miss and its near impossible to find perfect now. The Cork on the #4 is one of the best I've seen but there isn't much to it so maybe that's why. The handle on the #6 is also full Cork with no rubber or composite on the ends. everything else is top quality workmanship and both are built in Korea. As for why they used a wooden insert on the 9' 9" and metal on the 9' I have no idea but I'm glad they did ? I notice the 9' #6 has no tag either, it's just a Hero as is the 9' #5, all the others are still, dry, coast etc.

I have an agility rise 7ft rod I bought for fishing my local over grown river and again its a very small and superb quality cork so maybe the smaller the handle the better ?
I think they've tagged it the River Hero whereas it originally had the same tag as the 9'#5. As yoy say probably easier to find a decent bit of cork for a smaller handle.

I think they've tagged it the River Hero whereas it originally had the same tag as the 9'#5. As yoy say probably easier to find a decent bit of cork for a smaller handle.
I can't wait to actually fish with them, apparently each rod has been specifically designed for its tag and the write ups and reviews I've seen have all been very positive and I've yet to fish with a vision rod I didn't like.

Everyone that has had a go with my Onki (sounds wrong) has loved the rod but most said the colour puts them off or the name sounds stupid, if they hated the Onki colour the Hero isn't going to win them over ?

Maybe you will return to the Hero with a model that has the wooden insert ?

I will update the thread once I've actually used them but that might be a while unfortunately.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.