Vision Koma reel

Blue Elver

Vision Koma

Blue Elver said:
Hi

Any comments on the Vision Koma reel? Is it worth buying?

Trish

Come on guys I need you! Have asked Harris if they can come up with something to match the 9ft Wychwood Ionica rod they're selling for £90 and they suggest this reel. If it's a bummer I need to know....:eek:

Trish

Steveo

I have one and its a perfectly good reel....reasonably light for a "cast" reel , better made and finished than most of it's competitors....i'm happy with it and its very popular at my local fishery.

Blue Elver

Steveo said:
I have one and its a perfectly good reel....reasonably light for a "cast" reel , better made and finished than most of it's competitors....i'm happy with it and its very popular at my local fishery.

Thanks for reply Steveo... it sounds a good deal but I know NOTHING!

Trish

WelshOsprey

Blue Elver, I have these reels and they have proved to be excellent so far. The only downside I believe is that they are cast not machined and are therefore susceptible to breakage if dropped. Fortunately I haven't done this yet although a few on here have. A machined reel will however cost you more. You should be able to get the reel with a spare spool for £49.95 from either harris-sportsmail or sports fish but I can't rememebr which.

Blue Elver

Thanks Welsh Osprey

So okay as long as I don't drop it...have a passion for Wychwood for some reason, really wanted an Ionica reel but at £119 is it way off the budget. Will keep on thinking perhaps

Trish

patsolver

I have a salmon version very good apart from handle falling off while playing a fish !!

Mal Hunter

Pro Member
Trish

These reels were discussed recently in the Tackle forum. If you do a search on the forums for Koma you'll find a thread called 'Vision Koma - Brittle'.

Tight lines
Marra

enfieldspares

Buy the reel you like. You'll only regret not doing it when you finally drop, and break, your Vision Koma!

What's the extra money anyway? Three day tickets less on your local water?

Blue Elver

Brittle reel

enfieldspares said:
Buy the reel you like. You'll only regret not doing it when you finally drop, and break, your Vision Koma!

What's the extra money anyway? Three day tickets less on your local water?

Thanks to you all for the responses.

Enfieldspares, you say just the right thing to a Tackle Tart! You are SO RIGHT - cautious economy is a mistake, I shall never be happy with a Koma (especially as it sounds like a weak curry). Will return to studying reels etc and buy what I really, reely want with a new attitude.

Decided against buying a brittle reel owing to my unparalleled ability to trip over the dog, fall in the river, etc even when sober.

Cheers

Trish

musicalbloke

I have the Koma Salom Reel and have already had to have the drag repaired on it in less than a year, and it's not been dropped or abused in anyway.

If I had my choice again, I'd go for a Greys G-Lite reel size #9/11 as I've now got the #7/8 size and am happier than happy could be with it.
It's lighter than the GRX reel that I was using previously, has a lovely smooth drag on it and spools are very easy to change over. What's more, it's a lovely blue BLING colour too !!!!

There again, you'll now have everyone throwing in their two penneth as to what reel they think you should get too.

Look at all that are available and ask on here as someone is bound to have one that you are looking at.

Spider

Blue Elver

There have been plenty of negative comments on this forum about that reel so its well worth looking around.

I have a class Okuma Helios reel (100 from Hugh O Reilly ) and also a Trion for about £45and although its heavier, its not a problem.

Nice reel - great click - strong as anything and nice handle.

Well within budget.

Best of luck

Blue Elver

All info gratefully received - now am focusing on your recommended reels. 2 nephews from New Hampshire coming over to fish here in September - surely I'll have taken the plunge reel-wise by then!! :rolleyes:

django

Have a Koma, a G-Lite and a Helios

If I had the cash i'd go with the helios and g-lite every time - that said, Koma has been fine and the cheap spools are good for reservoir fishers who may wish to use multiple lines

I tend to load the g-lite and helios with floaters and use the koma for other line densities i don't use so frequently

/M

O Reilly

At £60 for reel and spool they are well priced ,have used them for a good while now without any problems ,on the plus side they take a lot of backing and are extremely light , the minus is they will not take dropping on concrete etc ,would buy without a worry .Guide fishing who are the importers will back up their goods. Acheap reel to look at Cortlands Endurance has four spools 2 standard and two lge arbor ,well priced ,lookls like a good reel for the monies
but again not made for hopping off concrete

www'oreillysfishing.co.uk

Novice

I'm Happy

I have got one of these reels and I am more than happy with it. Used for my new adventure in to carp fishing with the fly and it has not let me down yet.

Steve.:D

morvin

Hi Trish, I have a vision and i think they are great they have a fantastic drag. but if you drop them the spool can get damaged very easily and you may need to buy a new spool if that happens.
tight line

Blue Elver

Hi Morvin

Glad your Vision is good for your needs - I was so scared of the thing's reputation that I shelled out for an Ionica after all (and Enfieldspares was so encouraging about spending! It's all his fault). Reel hasn't arrived yet but when it does, I'm hoping to raise my game on Whiteadder etc.

There was a large willow tree lying in the water last week, having snapped at the base, but now it has vanished downstream (well, unlikely to be upstream!) probably at speed.

On the subject of spending, the reel did cost 3 days fishing but then I couldn't fish for a week anyway in this weather.

Thanks for good wishes and tight lines all

Trish

Latest posts