Vyrnwy 2015

mike_hayes

It's been 2.5 years and time to go fishing again. Yesterday I set off for Lake Vyrnwy and although the water level is approximately 3' down I just couldn't have picked a better day; nice coolish breeze, lovely sunshine and a whole lake full of feeding trout to myself. As it has been a while since I had been fishing I set out thirty yards down from Whitegates and practiced a couple of casts.
Second cast:

Third cast:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAGo/f3ghaEnAzUI/w648-h486-no/CIMG3334s.jpg
The fish were certainly moving especially the smaller ones and there was plenty of sport to be had with these especially along the shaded banks:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAGM/pSc1dllED2o/w684-h513-no/CIMG3339s.jpg
At times there was a fish or a take every cast and there were three occasions when two were taken at the same time. I lost count of how many were caught but the highlight of the day was this 1.5lb plus specimen which snapped up a Zulu:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAGE/gXkof9Rl0_Q/w703-h527-no/CIMG3340s.jpg
Used a fast retrieved team of flies on a DI3 line fished into and against the shady shoreline during the day and later when the fish were topping switched to Intermediate line and would have used a Floating line except I'd forgotten to pack the spare spools. Flies used Bibio, Dunkeld (my Vyrnwy favourite), Claret Bumble, Connemara Black and Zulu. Looking at the hotel's catch returns there have been some good bags lately using similar flies.

Fantastic day, superb sunset and really looking forward to a return trip next month.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAGU/lxFiCxZmtZ0/w415-h553-no/CIMG3343s.jpg
Apologies if the pics aren't displayed or the links don't work.

Last edited:

mike_hayes

richfish1, I was out on my own (it's a bit dangerous in a boat when I'm casting a fly). After spending two years getting our business up and running with no time for fishing trips it's a real bonus to be able to go again and an additional bonus to have such a wonderful place within an hours drive from home. Are you thinking of going there soon?

richfish1

I'm going to be going when I get back from holiday. Be somewhere around 20th may. Don't like going out on the boat on my own tbh. And the Mrs gets bored😉
Edit. Probably be the 22nd may.

Last edited:

mike_hayes

I'm going to be going when I get back from holiday. Be somewhere around 20th may. Don't like going out on the boat on my own tbh. And the Mrs gets bored��
Edit. Probably be the 22nd may.

You should book her in to the hotel spa:D whilst you go off for the day in the boat. I'll definitely be going back there at least once in May.

JJO

Thanks for the report Mike. I'm up to Vyrnwy in a couple of weeks with some friends and that's certainly whetted my appetite.

Cheers

Jon

paul1960

I'm going to Vyrnwy in early July this year to fish this wonderful lake in a beautiful part of the world. Been there many times (but not to fish) but always wanted to and now I have the chance. I can't wait tbf. However, it does look quite daunting. I've only been fly fishing for a couple of years so any tips would be muchley appreciated. Only fished with single flies so don't fully understand the concept of using 2 or 3 flies although have done some reading up. I understand the weather changing, boat fishing only etc, just some little pointers will do.

richfish1

I'm going to Vyrnwy in early July this year to fish this wonderful lake in a beautiful part of the world. Been there many times (but not to fish) but always wanted to and now I have the chance. I can't wait tbf. However, it does look quite daunting. I've only been fly fishing for a couple of years so any tips would be muchley appreciated. Only fished with single flies so don't fully understand the concept of using 2 or 3 flies although have done some reading up. I understand the weather changing, boat fishing only etc, just some little pointers will do.
Hi Paul, your best tactics are to drift up the shorelines, casting as close to the bank and trees as you dare. You will be surprised how near the bank they are.
Flies I like to use are zulu, blue zulu, bibio, kate mclaren, claret bumble, mallard and claret, coch y bonddu, dunkeld, blae and black and mini lures, such as Viva, clifton, ace of spades and Montana.
Small dries work well, with most offerings likely to tempt interest.
If you email the lake Vyrnwy hotel, they sell a book all about fishing the lake. Well worth a read before you go. I'm sure they'll post a copy to you. (About a fiver)
Finally, don't be disappointed if it's difficult, as it can be at times. Other days though, they'll be leaping on your flies like they're going out of fashion.
Rich.

mike_hayes

Paul. I agree with what Rich has said; cast as close to the banks as possible and his selection of flies should see fish on the boat. There is also the whole of the bay at the top end which is quite shallow and there are some wonderful drifts across this. I use two or three flies when fishing the lake spaced about 2.5' - 3' apart on 8" - 10" droppers which seem to work for me. The book from the hotel is definitely worth a read and there is also a bit of information regarding flies on the hotel website. There are also further Vyrnwy threads on this forum which may help. Some people only like fishing the lake early or late season but I've had good catches throughout. One last thing. If you go there for a whole day's fishing and don't catch a thing, you won't care. You can take away the memories of the wonderful surroundings and the magic of the place when experienced from a boat.

mike_hayes

Found time to get a days fishing on Lake Vyrnwy on Friday. Water level is back up to almost full after the recent weather. Went to Whitegates and the random, squally SW - W wind made conditions really difficult especially so at the top end later in the day. However still caught 24 brownies up to a 1lb. There was some spectacular sport to be had fishing the foam lanes 5 - 20 yards out or the odd cast in under the trees (if the wind allowed) from Eunant Bay all the way down to Ceunant Bridge. Flies used; Dunkeld, Bibio, Kate McClaren, Mrs Simpson lure and GRHE fished on the good old DI3 or an Intermediate line.

grayling4

Had 3 boats from Whitegates last Sunday (14th June)

Between us (6 anglers) had 50 fish (all but 2 released) One of the guys caught an overwintered rainbow pushing 3lb that took him all the way down to the backing.

Successful flies included sparkle GRHE, claret dabbler, pennell and small black flies.

Best fishing was from about 2.30pm - 5pm when it got quite warm.

Also saw a pair of peregrine falcons and, quite unbeleivably, a baby tawny owl just sitting on the bank as we drifted up from Whitegates. Obviously just fledged and didn't seem bothered by our presnce at all (untill I started to wave my rod around to try and release my fly that had become lodged in an overhagning branch!:eek:mg:)

Really good days fishing, can't wait to get back up.

mike_hayes

Thanks for the update grayling4. Sounds like a great day out for all your party. Your post has just convinced me to book a boat for next week.

grayling4

Hi Mike

Hope you have a nice day and let me know how you get on, I'm hoping to get up again soon.

Water level was right up when I went and a lot of fish, I think, were right in amongst the trees where you couldn't get at them; I think if it came down about 2 ft it would be perfect.

Noted in the catch return book that the week before I went one boat caught and released 95 fish!!!!!!:eek:

mike_hayes

Got out yesterday for a sunny day's fishing at Vyrnwy. 3 rainbow trout and 15 brown excluding the many fingerlings that were caught and there were lots of these tiny fish attacking anything that moved during the main part of the day. Some good drifts down the western shore from Eunant to opposite Cedig especially when the breeze was up:

Best rainbow 1lb:

and best brown 1/2 lb:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/le0dPv5zjcqSpHuGgWxLpHZA-oYg-pJImmCkCY0Zox0=w880-h660-no

Intermediate line and Butcher, Dunkeld and Peter Ross accounted for most of the browns and Claret Bumble using a fast retrieve on a DI3 took the rainbows. All the rainbows were caught in the evening close to the bottom in the shallows at the top end.

Forgot to add water level looks like it's gone down at least 3' since I last ventured out.

Looking forward to next trip (or two) before the school holidays.

Last edited:

mike_hayes

Went out yesterday (23rd July) for my most enjoyable outing this season. This wasn't due to the quantity of fish but the quality and the sport. The average size of the browns seems to be on the up and there were plenty of fighting fit rainbows at 1lb plus.

First cast at just 10 metres out from Whitegates beach. 1 1/2lb rainbow takes an orange bumble on top dropper. Fight on:

Tried a pot luck cast to a swirl off the trees at the right of the beach.

A superb looking fish from the foam lanes to a connemara black:

And this one which I estimate somewhere between 4 and 5lb. My biggest fish out of Vyrnwy:

It was caught along the bank between the Eunant Bridge and the Oaks which the Vyrnwy book quotes as being "disappointing"!! It fought for a good 30 minutes on a 4lb tippet having taken a Mrs Simpson lure on an intermediate line and was returned for you guys to catch on another day.

A battered Mrs Simpson:

Two in one cast which I thought was another big rainbow:

Ended the day with 13 brown to 3/4lb + 9 rainbows. Flies that caught; Orange Bumble, Claret Bumble, Connemara Black, Mrs Simpson and the usual Dunkeld.

The water level is at least 5-6" below full:

Weather conditions; Cloudy in the morning sunny intervals in the afternoon. Cool westerly breeze blowing.

Hopefully I will be there again within the next two weeks.

Last edited:

oldgold

I am, bar a short session at Cound years ago a boat fishing virgin (excluding sea fishing) and must get out on Vyrnwy...

mike_hayes

mike_hayes

Managed to go out yesterday for a cold day's fishing in cloudy conditions from Whitegates. Water level is slightly up from last weeks trip and the fishing is still excellent at times. There was an hour in the morning and three hours late afternoon into early evening when the fish were feeding really well. The rest of the day saw the odd fish to the boat and the occasional shy tug at a fly. Concentrated the fishing in Eunant Bay and the bank opposite Whitegates all the way down to the far end. By far the best spot was around "The Oaks" were most browns were caught and finished the day with five Rainbows to 1 1/2 lbs and fifteen browns to 3/4 lb (not including the numerous "tiny trout" which seem to be in abundance in Eunant Bay):

Best Brown:

Best Rainbow and a rare appearance of sunlight:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/FUm4W1FdYyfWmhdDORcYTTx5QARcP_aIoWYTTEi5nfI=w1420-h1065-no

Cinnamon and Gold, Connemara Black and various orange flies fished on DI3, intermediate or floating line worked for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts