Vyrnwy 2015

richfish1

Managed to go out yesterday for a cold day's fishing in cloudy conditions from Whitegates. Water level is slightly up from last weeks trip and the fishing is still excellent at times. There was an hour in the morning and three hours late afternoon into early evening when the fish were feeding really well. The rest of the day saw the odd fish to the boat and the occasional shy tug at a fly. Concentrated the fishing in Eunant Bay and the bank opposite Whitegates all the way down to the far end. By far the best spot was around "The Oaks" were most browns were caught and finished the day with five Rainbows to 1 1/2 lbs and fifteen browns to 3/4 lb (not including the numerous "tiny trout" which seem to be in abundance in Eunant Bay):

Best Brown:

Best Rainbow and a rare appearance of sunlight:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/FUm4W1FdYyfWmhdDORcYTTx5QARcP_aIoWYTTEi5nfI=w1420-h1065-no

Cinnamon and Gold, Connemara Black and various orange flies fished on DI3, intermediate or floating line worked for me.
I'd count the tiny ones as well Mike😊 great to see nice youngsters for the future. Were you drifting along the bank all day or did you try further out as well?

mike_hayes

I'd count the tiny ones as well Mike😊 great to see nice youngsters for the future. Were you drifting along the bank all day or did you try further out as well?

Hi. Perhaps these tiny fish are the ones making up some of the recent huge catch returns that have been posted at the hotel. I did try further out but there was no reasonable drift lines / foam lanes forming and the wind direction yesterday was a bit difficult. Two of the browns were caught about ten metres off The Oaks where the ripple coming out of Eunant Bay changed direction as it met the wind blowing up the main lake (if that makes any sense). Apart from those two, all fish were caught closer to the bank either in the shade under trees or where the rocky shores drop off to deeper water. That's why the DI3 line is useful as it seems to sink just at the right speed to stay close to the bottom when retrieved from the shore back out to the boat.

mike_hayes

Went out yesterday afternoon / evening in mostly cloudy conditions from Whitegates and was accompanied by my 12 year old daughter who has been eager for a while to try her hand at fishing. Water level is down a foot or two from my last trip but in my opinion the fishing is still very good and we ended the day with 16 trout to the boat.

The biggest brown:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/lF56-l6mKmUDwXyX0gDbXW3v_PUXKGi1YcsAm7o6xEI=w1423-h1067-no

(caught by my daughter)!!

Two in one go:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/qTvUPJFAnUg6VOqqeZn1Zjq3a7W_HfyokcmcGjQMEuk=w1423-h1067-no

(caught by my daughter)!!

The biggest fish at 2.5 lb and the only rainbow from the last cast of the day:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/TMiloq0-apm9D69Gb1uRzlXKP1jOgW0EBuKddOLC_0o=w1423-h1067-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/cympeWsTM2WMmuQB9Y-UbmxeiO2e8DfBXpmCuDcOTkQ=w801-h1067-no

(again, caught by my daughter)!!

Not bad for a first go. At least I caught nine (the most fish).

All but one fish was caught on the intermediate line and we used a very successful team of flies; claret bumble on the top dropper, connemara black in the middle and cinammon and gold on the point. The bumble took most of the fish.

grayling4

Hi Mike

Sounds like you had another good day!

There's 8 of us going up on Saturday so hoping for some good weather. Is the water level still high enough to be casting in amongst the tree stumps?

grayling4

Hi all

Anyone been up to Vyrnwy yet this year or heard how it is fishing? 4 of us due out for the first trip of the season Sunday 24th and any tactics/flies that are working will be much appreciated!

Cheers

mjmax

Hi Grayling4 went out end of march Hotel end 16 fish to the boat all browns (all returned ) sinking lines and Black and silver dabbler caught most of the fish , Weather was biting cold and had enough by 3 o,clock, strange thing was all the fish were in really good nick obviously been feeding on something over winter not always the case early on at Vyrnwy

grayling4

Thanks Mjmax. Sounds interesting, it's been a pretty mild winter so perhaps the aquatic life started up early or just kept going through the winter, givng the fish something to feed on.

Our boats are out of Whitegates. Hopefully it will have warmed up enough to use the floaters. Pennels and GH nymphs with a bit of sparkle always work well early on for me

grayling4

Well, 4 of us had our first trip of the new season and headed up to Vyrnwy on Sunday. Despite conditions that didn't look brilliant (quite gusty, cool wind from the north west) 4 of us had 33 fish, all brownies, on a mixture of flies - weighted black and peacock spider, butcher, orange goldheads, all fished on floating lines.

The lake is really high and the fish were slightly further out from the shore than one would usually expect.

Also saw a Goshawk, which was amazing.

Can't wait to get back in a few weeks when the weather warms up and the fish are really on the feed.

grayling4

Anyone been up to Vyrnwy lately? Heading up there this Saturday and any tips gratefully received:thumbs:

mike_hayes

Anyone been up to Vyrnwy lately? Heading up there this Saturday and any tips gratefully received:thumbs:

Hi. Been a few times this season and the fishing seems to be following the same pattern as last year. If I was going out there (which I hope to soon) I'd be including a claret bumble in a team of three flies. Not sure what the levels are like but I would imagine that they have not dropped too low as there has been a fair bit of rain in the region lately.

Sorry but have not had the time to update this thread as seven children are keeping us busy!!

grayling4

Hi Mike

7 of us went up Saturday; drizzled for most of the day but it was warm with a nice breeze - very good fishing conditions really but too be honest it was pretty slow going. I managed 12 including a beauty of about 2 1/4lb but there were long periods of not much happening and we hardly saw a fish rise all day, but I suppose it is the middle of July which is not really supposed to be a good time for fishing.

The lake was full to brimming with water coming over the dam and we suspected that the fish were hard against the bank, under the canopy of the trees where we couldn't really get at them.

Hoping to get up again back end of August.

grayling4

First visit of the year to Vyrnwy yesterday.

Reservoir at a nice height (maybe 3 feet down from top level) allowing access to under the trees in the margins. Weather was warm, breezy and very bright, not ideal fishing conditions.

However, me and my boat partner had 42 fish to the boat - 39 browns and 3 rainbows - best brown about 1 1/4lb and best rainbow about 2lb.

Both of us fished full floaters all day and caught on Pennell's GRHE and Peter Ross.

If you haven't been to Vyrnwy before and you are in the area you must give it a go (Whitegates station if possible, as opposed to Boathouse end) you will struggle to fish in more beautiful scenery, especially on a beautiful spring day such as yesterday.

Regards
Grayling

richfish1

First visit of the year to Vyrnwy yesterday.

Reservoir at a nice height (maybe 3 feet down from top level) allowing access to under the trees in the margins. Weather was warm, breezy and very bright, not ideal fishing conditions.

However, me and my boat partner had 42 fish to the boat - 39 browns and 3 rainbows - best brown about 1 1/4lb and best rainbow about 2lb.

Both of us fished full floaters all day and caught on Pennell's GRHE and Peter Ross.

If you haven't been to Vyrnwy before and you are in the area you must give it a go (Whitegates station if possible, as opposed to Boathouse end) you will struggle to fish in more beautiful scenery, especially on a beautiful spring day such as yesterday.

Regards
Grayling
Fair play that's an amazing catch in those conditions. Last time I was out in hot bright weather all I got was sunburn.
Might have to pop over in the next few weeks by the sound of it.😎

mike_hayes

Thanks for the update. Sounds like another special Vyrnwy day. I really must have a day off and get out there.

JJO

Hard day on Vyrnwy last Saturday. The wind was spinning us round like a tea cup. Ended up with 4 rainbows (kept) and about 15 bt (released) to all the usual flies on clear inter lines. Nice bonus chub that was nearer 3lb than 2.

J

mike_hayes

Thanks for the update. Wow. I reckon that no other Chub has ever been caught and pictured in more stunning surroundings than this. I so need to get back home and have a day out at my most favourite place in the world. What's the water level like?

JJO

Anyone looking for a copy of George Victor Westroop’s ‘Guide to Fishing Lake Vyrnwy’?

I have discovered I have a spare. Free to first reply.

Cheers

Jon

salmo mike

I,d welcome a copy if it's still available.Lovely chub.Didn't realise they were in there.Only ever caught browns and rainbows

JJO

Sorry to disappoint Mike, but someone else PM'd me yesterday.

Tightlines for '18

Jon

Latest posts