Fly Fishing Forum banner

Wader repair with Tolune/Toluol

4K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  glueman 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the quantity mix for punctures in neoprene waders using Aquasure

#6 · (Edited)
Just for clarity I didn't mean aquasure and toluene in particular go lumpy if mixed wrong it applies to mixing lots of things and it's easy to get caught out with 70/30 mixes.

If you're using a brush clean it in a separate container with toluene, i put a brush into to mix a bach and it dyed it black 1 tube of aquasure ruined ?

Al

#14 ·
Fixed my Vass waders a few months ago with plumbers gold sealant thinned with toluene.Seems as good as aquasure & toluene.Havent tried it on breathable waders yet though.What i have noticed is you can store it for long periods without it hardening when thinned down.You can't store aquasure+toluene mix for long as it hardens.

Attachments

#18 ·
I can't understand why someone would opt to buy something else over aquasure for there waders?
If i had it to hand maybe I'd use it but I'd only go and buy aquasure knowing it's bomb proof 100% reliable.

@rabmax do you know if the plumbers gold is polyurethane?

Al
I can't understand why someone would opt to buy something else over aquasure for there waders?
If i had it to hand maybe I'd use it but I'd only go and buy aquasure knowing it's bomb proof 100% reliable.

@rabmax do you know if the plumbers gold is polyurethane?

Al
I am not sure what it is.I had seen it recommended on Facebook.So thought i would give it a try on Vass waders.I am sure it would work well for seam sealing your breathable waders.But for sealing neoprene stocking feet on your breathables.I would switch back to aquasure & toluene.The feet on your breathable waders are the part you need to be careful with.(hardest area to fix)Plumbers gold & toluene seam seal would work out very cheap to do.

#21 ·
Watch what you are doing with Toluene it is not nice, years ago driving back from a glazing demonstration in Cardiff with a can in the boot which I had not tightened the cap on i was suddenly to all intents and purposes pissed as a newt. Luckly I did not light a ***. It can also be used to run a petrol engine on I had customers whoes site workers would use it rather than their float.

#25 · (Edited)
Here in the states we have a product called Aquaseal for repairing waders. It tends to slowly cure in the tube once it is opened. What I do is to put it in the freezer. This keeps the tube from curing. I have a tube that is over 10 years old that I can use.

Cotol 240 is toluene and is a thinner for Aquaseal. See the ingredient list here:

============= Composition/Information on Ingredients =============

Name:TOLUENE (SARA III)
CAS:108-88-3
RTECS #:XS5250000
OSHA PEL:100 PPM;150 STEL
ACGIH TLV:50 PPM, S
EPA Rpt Qty:1000 LBS
DOT Rpt Qty:1000 LBS

The toluene thins the Aquaseal makes it a lot easier to put on a thin layer. The toluene evaporates quickly and a thin layer cures faster than a thick layer. Toluene is the major ingredient (99.25%) in Cotol-240 and the amount of dibutyltin dilaurate is 0.75%. dibutyltin dilaurate is a catalyst but Aquaseal cures just fine using toluene alone.

"COMMENTS: Chemical data based on Toluene"

" Composition/Information on Ingredients:

Ingred Name:TOLUENE

Fraction by Wt: 99.25%

Ingred Name:CATALYST

Fraction by Wt: 0.75%

#26 ·
Have to agree with silver creek. New or opened tubes of Aquaseal, stored in the freezer, will last as long as you need them. I don't dilute it (or have need to dilute) to repair leaks in breathable waders. I also keep toluene in my shop pantry. Seldom thin aquaseal with it, but it does have many cleaning uses also. As per glueman: Keep away from most plastics and do not huff it.

#34 ·
Not sure about IPA and urethane adhesives. Urethane adhesives are a polymer formed between a diisocyanate and a diol. As glueman says, the one component urethanes are configured so that water in the atmosphere completes the polymerisation. IPA being an alcohol may interfere with that process, though it is more sterically hindered and so may be OK. Toluene, being totally inert shouldn't interfere at all.
Yes, isocyanates are nasty and skin contact should be avoided.

#38 ·
What adhesive would you choose to resole a pair of felt soled wading boots?

Cheers Al
The manufacturer I was involved with produced a product called Paracol Rapid but I no longer know if it is available in the UK. It came in a cartridge like a silicone tube.A similar thing would be Gorrila glue the PU version but it is liquid in a bottle. If you use either make sure you don't over apply, clamp the two parts together until the adhesive is fully cured. Wear gloves otherwise you will have black hands and it is not really the kind of stuff you want on your hands. Do not breath any fumes best in a ventilated area. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.