Waders - Gillie wear.

eddleston123

Can I ask salmon anglers out there -

What type of waders have you observed gillies using - pvc, neoprene, breathables. Make etc,
Is there a favourite amongst gillies?

In particular, what make of breathables do they wear/prefer, if any.

Douglas

Lewis Chessman

All guests other than beginners/occasionals/children usually wear breathables, other than in spring. Make tends to be according to pocket depth with Simms and Patagonia often chosen by the well-healed. Scierra and Greys are frequently seen on those less willing to spend big, either for sake of cost or because they go through waders so fast that expensive ones are a waste of good money. Vision and Guideline are often seen by me, too, and possibly the most common make I see on my fellow gillies.
I've used Vision Ikon Zipped for about seven 6-month seasons now. A pair tends to last me about 8 months of usage, six days a week. They eventually fail where they rub around the knees or accrue so much Aquasure on pin-***** holes that I'm embarrassed to carry on wearing them (gorse/brambles/barbed wire/etc.). The early model had issues with the zip teeth loosening but that's long sorted now. No issues with my last three pairs. They come in a multiplicity of sizes so getting a good fit is feasible but also important - baggy legs wear quicker!
The great asset is the zip. Not having to remove a wading jacket and hood when watering the garden in a downpour is a big bonus. You can keep a life jacket on, too.

I once rowed a mildly drunk guest to the shore so that he could take a much needed leak. He hastily threw down the (compulsory) auto-life jacket and wading jacket, hauled down his chesties and proceeded to relieve himself.
The yellow spate ran downhill of course and met the discarded automatic life jacket right at the vital spot. BANG! At this point it was me pissing myself, not him. As I mentioned, jackets were compulsory so I gave him the option to wear it or walk back to the car around the loch. He elected to wear it. Wouldn't have happened with Ikon Zipped! ;)

Laxdale

What type of waders have you observed gillies using - pvc, neoprene, breathables. Make etc,

Douglas
It depends on who buys the waders. Most ghillies I know have work waders, and their own waders for when they are away fishing.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line

Douglas
One thing you could do is watch some programs about fishing for salmon in Canadian waters, and sea trout videos in Patagonia et al.
Is illuminating the gear the guides wear!

Regards
Bert

tangled

There are two types of guides and gillies; those that have a deal with a manufacturer and those that don't.

If you travel to fish, you'll find most wear SIMMS and Patagonia because they have deals and they get enormous discounts on the gear which the posh brands use as cheap advertising to their punters who by definition are high rollers ('cos destination fishing is expensive).

Those that don't have the deals tend to go mid-range, Visions seem to be popular, but everyone one of them tell you that they're all flaky and it probably doesn't matter what you buy.

aenoon

There are two types of guides and gillies; those that have a deal with a manufacturer and those that don't.

If you travel to fish, you'll find most wear SIMMS and Patagonia because they have deals and they get enormous discounts on the gear which the posh brands use as cheap advertising to their punters who by definition are high rollers ('cos destination fishing is expensive).

Those that don't have the deals tend to go mid-range, Visions seem to be popular, but everyone one of them tell you that they're all flaky and it probably doesn't matter what you buy.
In some cases that might be true, but they will have had the choice of gear from every manufacturer, if they are in that lucky group.

Bert

tangled

In some cases that might be true, but they will have had the choice of gear from every manufacturer, if they are in that lucky group.
Doubt it. Not all the brands run a promotion like that.

But if your point is that that these people would choose SIMMS and Patagonia over, say Greys, then I'm sure you'd be right. It's part of the image isn't it? These guys make a living guiding, they need to demonstrate to themselves, their peers, their employers and their punters that they are the best and use the 'best'.

When you're using a consumable product that costs $800 you're basically on the catwalk.

aenoon

Doubt it. Not all the brands run a promotion like that.

But if your point is that that these people would choose SIMMS and Patagonia over, say Greys, then I'm sure you'd be right. It's part of the image isn't it? These guys make a living guiding, they need to demonstrate to themselves, their peers, their employers and their punters that they are the best and use the 'best'.

When you're using a consumable product that costs $800 you're basically on the catwalk.
Cripes, I dont have much of an audience whilst out in a rainstorm, deep wading in simms, whilst wearing a Patagonia jacket, perhaps the odd heron or two, but not many fashionistas!
Bert

tangled

And keep dry, whatever the weather/river.
Year after year after year----------------------
Bert

You can do that far cheaper in all manner of gear (promotional discounts aside). All the guides I've ever met - I suppose around 50 or so - complain about their waders.

I used to look at estate agents cars, it was the same effect, it had to be a BMW, plus a suit and tie of course.

I built an extension a few yers ago and hired a retired chippie to help me out. I spent 2 hours in the pub with him discussing the pecking order of hammers.

All jobs have their uniforms and status icons so that others can identify them.

aenoon

You can do that far cheaper in all manner of gear (promotional discounts aside). All the guides I've ever met - I suppose around 50 or so - complain about their waders.

I used to look at estate agents cars, it was the same effect, it had to be a BMW, plus a suit and tie of course.

I built an extension a few yers ago and hired a retired chippie to help me out. I spent 2 hours in the pub with him discussing the pecking order of hammers.

All jobs have their uniforms and status icons so that others can identify them.
I am at odds with that one though.
50 or so guides complaining about their waders?
Seems like they had the wrong ones!
Most guides I know complain about the conditions for fishing!
Estate agents I know all drive Range Rovers, but then, a different type of estate agent I suppose!
Horses for courses.

Bert