Fly Fishing Forum banner

Wading boots problem

5K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  davestocker 
#1 ·
My wading boots have injured my toes leaving me confined to the house this weekend instead of fishing. These boots (Simms Tributary) have always felt a little tighter than my previous boots (Orvis) but were not uncomfortable. That was during the river season when I was in the water and the boots were always damp still when going out for the next fishing session. Now in the off season I'm fishing the stocked lakes from the bank and the boots are mostly always dry. This has made them tighter and uncomfortable and on occasion I have found myself kicking my heel off the ground trying to get my toes back from the front as they felt uncomfortable. This should have been ample warning but I did not heed it and now I find myself with 2 ingrown toe nails the big toe on each foot. Both at the same time I think it has to be the boots that aggravated it. I thought of keeping the boots wet but wouldn't look forward to putting them on when the temperature is very low. The reason I wear my waders and boots when winter fishing from the bank is to keep a bit warmer, keep dry, and if I need to get in for any reason to release a fish.
My current pair of wading boot is a size up on my regular footware so I thought I might go 2 up as in winter I'm wearing a thin pair of base layer socks and a thick pair of socks. I was shocked to see that wading boots like everything else seems to have gone up in price. Because I'm only on the bank on the lake I was considering a pair of cheap hiking boots and going 2 sizes up so I can wear them with the waders, but I don't know if thats a viable option? Was hoping to get a pair of wading boots for around 60 - 70 euros but most I see under 100 now seem to be felt soles. That's a big no on the bank as far as I've read they can be slippy. Any ideas or any deals you've seen on wading boots are welcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
My wading boots have injured my toes leaving me confined to the house this weekend instead of fishing. These boots (Simms Tributary) have always felt a little tighter than my previous boots (Orvis) but were not uncomfortable. That was during the river season when I was in the water and the boots were always damp still when going out for the next fishing session. Now in the off season I'm fishing the stocked lakes from the bank and the boots are mostly always dry. This has made them tighter and uncomfortable and on occasion I have found myself kicking my heel off the ground trying to get my toes back from the front as they felt uncomfortable. This should have been ample warning but I did not heed it and now I find myself with 2 ingrown toe nails the big toe on each foot. Both at the same time I think it has to be the boots that aggravated it. I thought of keeping the boots wet but wouldn't look forward to putting them on when the temperature is very low. The reason I wear my waders and boots when winter fishing from the bank is to keep a bit warmer, keep dry, and if I need to get in for any reason to release a fish.
My current pair of wading boot is a size up on my regular footware so I thought I might go 2 up as in winter I'm wearing a thin pair of base layer socks and a thick pair of socks. I was shocked to see that wading boots like everything else seems to have gone up in price. Because I'm only on the bank on the lake I was considering a pair of cheap hiking boots and going 2 sizes up so I can wear them with the waders, but I don't know if thats a viable option? Was hoping to get a pair of wading boots for around 60 - 70 euros but most I see under 100 now seem to be felt soles. That's a big no on the bank as far as I've read they can be slippy. Any ideas or any deals you've seen on wading boots are welcome.
Wet/soak the boots before you put them on.

#12 · (Edited)
Funnily enough, I had just the same problem with my ice skates feeling very uncomfortable when I did my shopping in Sainsbury's last week. ;)

Leg pulling aside, chest waders and wading boots just aren't designed for bank fishing where no wading is necessary (or allowed). I think you'd be much better off getting some waterproof trousers (or bib and brace/dungarees type things) and a comfortable pair of neoprene-lined wellington boots. That's what I used to bank fish my local stillwater, and I kneel down to release the fish I catch.

A good pair of good-quality, comfortable, wellies will most likely have a sole designed for grassy, muddy, banks too, whereas wading boots almost certainly won't, and that could well save you slipping and injuring yourself or breaking your rod, or taking a ducking and trashing your mobile phone! So save your chest waders and wading boots for the river, and invest in some comfortable footwear for stillwater bank fishing instead, it'll probably be cheaper than prematurely wearing your waders out too.

#30 ·
I bought a pair of the ones webblade is referring to, Simms Tributarys. For a size 7 foot, bought size 9s, fit fine with thick socks. Emailed Simms for advice on studs, they said they cannot advise. Very disappointing. Used Simms and Snowbee studs, sometimes glued in, lost a lot, bought some supatracks, they stay in place. Have noticed that whereas others filled with grit and silt, the inside of the Simms seems free of this. I think that as they don't drain this is good as acts like wet suit boots and helps keep feet warmer.
As for wearing them dry, cannot comment as haven't done this.

When required, will probably replace with the same.

Peter

#31 ·
I have very wide feet, more like paws, and find it difficult to obtain wide fitting shoes but wading boots have never been a problem. However recently I needed to replace an elderly and very comfortable pair of Orvis boots when one sole fell off. Initially I tried the Orvis Pro with the super sticky Michelin sole. I'm normally a US size 12 in wading boots but I could not get even 14's on as they were too narrow. I then went for Simms Flyweights, a 12 was again too narrow but size 13 was OK. Are the world's feet getting narrower or there there something else at play ?
Incidentally the Simms Flyweights are an excellent boot, especially in the chalk streams I fish nowadays where the the wading environment is easier than the spate rivers.
Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.