Wading Staff - What Has Worked For You

micka

Just as on my net handles and just about anything portable like that (fly boxes etc) put one of those waterproof labels on with your name and phone no on, for as sure as 'eggs are eggs' you're going to forget it sometime, somewhere.

Then suddenly I get a phone call with someone saying "I've got your wading staff."

Mick

mebu

A bloke in Northumberland sells really good wading staffs on ebay. 2 piece, with a well engineered screw at centre so can be folded, very solid with a good chunk of lead at the bottom. £40, a really good buy (I've had a couple as tend to leave them somewhere).

Would not consider another folding one after 2 I had gave problems.

Peter

dcb

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I had a single piece staff, made many years ago, with a wrap of lead around the base of the staff. It eventually succumbed to the wear and tear and old age in general ( a bit like myself) Suggestions given give me food for thought.

Thanks again

DCB

Lewis Chessman

I bought one similar to this Aventek collapsible wading stick when I worked on the Spey and it did fine for me then - saved my embarrassment (and maybe more!) several times. Very little wading to do on my current river now so it seldom sees use unless I'm concerned for an elderly guest's safety and lend it out.

Mine differs only in that it came with an wide disc one can attach to the foot if the river bottom is soft, to prevent it sinking too far and getting stuck.
It's not bottom-weighted so when casting I would tuck it at an angle behind my knees so the handle was easily accessible to my left hand, rod in the right. The current would hold it there, comfortable and out of the way while I fished.
This model and mine has a removeable top which gives access to a bolt for attaching a camera if you ever want to use it as a mono-pod.

I do appreciate the inherent problem with elasticated, non-locking sticks like mine should it ever get wedged in the rocks or stuck in mud/peat. I can only say I have never had this happen to the extent that it didn't pull out.
I think that, whatever you choose, do consider the noise aspect. Sound travels far better underwater than through the air and I've stood by countless guests who would carelessly clank their way fishless down a pool. If I can hear their stick I'm damned sure the fish can too. Easily remedied with ethafoam pipe lagging and tape, for instance.

Hope you find the right stick for your needs.

speytime

You can buy a carbon fibre staff (weighted) from fishing mad, it's worth a look.

Edit... My dad cut a hazel stick and taped it to the handle of his Sharpes Belmont landing net/wading staff, not fancy but effective.

Al

Last edited:

Paul_B

I use one of those long aluminium handled landing nets, the ones with a spike for sticking into the mud, works for bank fishing or when wading.

Take your pick, or a shovel

Sash

I have a Sharpes staff, and it is excellent, but quite long.
Nowadays, I mainly fish the Cleddau at night, and have discovered real advantages in a shorter staff, which does not get in the way so much at night (especially since I carry my net on my left side).
So I started using a very stout piece of willow (blackthorn would work as well), which is only about the height of the bottom of my ribs, about 4ft. But THICK: 1.5” at the top, and I can REALLY put my weight on it when scrambling down a bank at night.
And I attach it to me with a length of strong bungee cord: it is never out of reach from my hand.

glueman

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I had a single piece staff, made many years ago, with a wrap of lead around the base of the staff. It eventually succumbed to the wear and tear and old age in general ( a bit like myself) Suggestions given give me food for thought.

Thanks again

DCB
Make another will save you money

jaybeegee

I have one I made from an ash stave, weighted with code 4 lead and fitted with a rubber ferrule and a spring clip for a lanyard. I spent a good few hours on it and I like it but it’s blummin heavy so last year I lightly weighted a trekking pole and fitted it with a d ring from an old rucksack for the lanyard. Not bothered about it folding down so tightened all the joints in a vice, it’s comparatively light and works fine. On both, the lead is covered with shrink tube, it’s great stuff.
B

Lewis Chessman

When my father died 17 years ago I cut two 7 ft staves of hazel from the garden to make wading sticks from, one for me, one for my brother.
I still have them and they're on my to-do list. Maybe this winter, I'll see.

airsprite

If you do fall in a fast current with your staff still attached, you are then faced with the prospect of it wedging in a rock and tethering you!
A weak link is needed, so i now fit a rubber O Ring between the stick and lanyard.
Working in Engineering at the time, i tried different ones until i found a size i could easily break with my hands.
Thankfully not fell in yet, but feel a little bit more confident it would break given the need.

Steve

goldenolive

I use a Sharpes wading staff and its superb, I wish I had bought this first time out it would have been cheap in the long run! As its my 4th staff.
I splashed out on the simms folding staff and it didn't last due to corrosion on the internal wire cord. I also found it too light in heavy Current, more of a walking stick in my opinion.
Sharpes is great.

Latest posts