Waist waders

Fredmoore

Circumstances dictate that I need a new pair of waders,this time I am thinking of trying waist waders,as I mainly fish small rivers and lakes,My reasoning being that they will be more comfortable as I do a lot of walking on the riverbank.I have seen some Sierra waisties around £120,anyone tried them?
anyone who has tried waisties,please give me your pros ,cons ,and recomendations please.
I a: also considering getting some lightweight boots to go with these,again because of the walking I do,Orvis or Simms Seem to do some nice ones

wobbly face

I have a pair of Guideline Laxa, very comfortable. £199 at John Norris at the moment.
These have waist waders though out of stock of the Diawa: https://fishingtackle2u.co.uk/collections/game-waders Not bad prices.
Vision do Ikon and Koski waist waders. My mate uses the Ikons (second pair now). He did look at and try on Scierra but fit wasn't very good (large and a size 12 foot :eek: )

jbe3

Make sure you try the Scierra for size. You might want to go down a size from your usual. I have had two pairs of the bootfoot version and used them a lot walking the bank on my local loch and also when out on the boat. Comfortable and cool. The first pair lasted 3 seasons and then leaked all over. On testing the seams were had gone at many of the stretch points. If you can get a discount I would say they are not a bad buy.

york1e

B
I have a pair of Guideline Laxa, very comfortable. £199 at John Norris at the moment.
These have waist waders though out of stock of the Diawa: https://fishingtackle2u.co.uk/collections/game-waders Not bad prices.
Vision do Ikon and Koski waist waders. My mate uses the Ikons (second pair now). He did look at and try on Scierra but fit wasn't very good (large and a size 12 foot :eek: )

Booked marked this site for when they are in stock :cool:

springwell

I'm in the market for waist waders too. Vision are my preferred brand of waders, but I'd be interested in recommendations too.

If you want to look cool walking to the bank how about some demin look waders :)

pentlandflyman

I bought a pair of scierra X-16000 breathable stocking foot waist waders but have not had the chance to use them yet. Fit is very comfortable and design/colour is cracking, they seem very well made but if you get the odd leak (they all do) then aquasure will come to the rescue.

I prefer waist waders as i find them less restrictive than chesties, far easier to release the beast if you need a pee for starters and you can still sit on a wet bank or cross a river if needed. Comfier for walking as well, team them up with good quality lightweight boots (i use orvis) and you have a perfect fishing/walking outfit, i wore my snowbee waist waders on the boat all the time without any issues. I do prefer chesties in the winter though as the added protection from the cold helps and i tend to fish in deeper water for the grayling.

pentlandflyman

snap, a few years ago i would happily wade to the limit of my waders and not give it a second thought and i got into a few scary situations doing it. The last few years i've started being far more sensible and rarely go above my waist and if i do its only on gravel bottom rivers i know well, I've even started using a wading staff and a life jacket. I think you start to realise you aren't invincible when you start going to more funerals than weddings.
The older I get, the shallower I wade - fear must come with age!

As I rarely wade above knee height, waist waders suit me fine - Usually cheaper as well!

Douglas

sarklow

I bought a pair of scierra X-16000 breathable stocking foot waist waders but have not had the chance to use them yet. Fit is very comfortable and design/colour is cracking, they seem very well made but if you get the odd leak (they all do) then aquasure will come to the rescue.

I prefer waist waders as i find them less restrictive than chesties, far easier to release the beast if you need a pee for starters and you can still sit on a wet bank or cross a river if needed. Comfier for walking as well, team them up with good quality lightweight boots (i use orvis) and you have a perfect fishing/walking outfit, i wore my snowbee waist waders on the boat all the time without any issues. I do prefer chesties in the winter though as the added protection from the cold helps and i tend to fish in deeper water for the grayling.

Hi PentlandFlyMan

Can you give me some insight into what size you went for ? Normally with waders I am a "large" (36" waist, 32" leg and size 9s) but when I look at the Scierra website the smallest size "Medium" is listed at 101 to 107cm for waist - a generous 40 to 42 inch. And they only get bigger from there ? ...

Thanks.

jbe3

Hi Sarklow, I have the same measurements as you. I have a pair of Scierra x-16000 bootfoot waist waders in size 44-45 boot, which is generous. I wear a couple of pairs of socks and the waders are not tight fitting on me, which I prefer. I also have a older pair of Scierra waist waders which were the size below and while these were an ok fit I found them a little tight for walking around the loch. They now (after 4 seasons regular use) leak slightly around the seams (stretched?) but are still ok for wearing out in the boat. Pentlandflyman might be able to shed more light on the fit of the stockingfoot version. Also have a good look around as they are often reduced in price. I got mine from Fastmail Tackle and was pleased with the price and service.

sarklow

Hi Sarklow, I have the same measurements as you. I have a pair of Scierra x-16000 bootfoot waist waders in size 44-45 boot, which is generous. I wear a couple of pairs of socks and the waders are not tight fitting on me, which I prefer. I also have a older pair of Scierra waist waders which were the size below and while these were an ok fit I found them a little tight for walking around the loch. They now (after 4 seasons regular use) leak slightly around the seams (stretched?) but are still ok for wearing out in the boat. Pentlandflyman might be able to shed more light on the fit of the stockingfoot version. Also have a good look around as they are often reduced in price. I got mine from Fastmail Tackle and was pleased with the price and service.

Hi jbe3

Thanks for that ... I want the stocking foot but looking at the boot version on the Scierra site ...

... I can't see a boot measurement ... do you know if yours is a "M" or "L" etc ?

Cheers

thetrouttickler

Interesting thread. I think I'm going to go for the Vision Koski. Any feedback on these?

I have a 10 year old pair of Patagonia chest waders that have been through the wars and are on their last legs. I liked them because they converted to waist height, and I hardly ever need to wade deeper than my waist. Brilliant for the summer months. Because of the loyalty I have developed to Patagonia over the last decade of use, I was interested in their waist waders, but the price is off putting.

pentlandflyman

I bought the XXL King and they are perfect for me, my size 11 feet fit the socks OK, they aren't as big as stated so I would still go for your usual size large, bearing in mind you will be wearing these over jeans or some other bottom. The size you say the medium is should fit me fine but I don't think I would get them on and if I did I wouldn't be able to move in them. So my advice is buy the large because they are pretty much similar sizes to other brands.
Hi PentlandFlyMan

Can you give me some insight into what size you went for ? Normally with waders I am a "large" (36" waist, 32" leg and size 9s) but when I look at the Scierra website the smallest size "Medium" is listed at 101 to 107cm for waist - a generous 40 to 42 inch. And they only get bigger from there ? ...

Thanks.

garrynic

Hi PentlandFlyMan

Thanks.
Hi
I own the waders, with stocking foot.
I am 34 inch waist and 31 inch leg, i bought the medium size and they are a good fit with a bit of room to spare.
Hope this helps
Cheers

sarklow

So just to update on this ... I have just received a pair of Scierra x16000 waist waders with stocking foot in size Large ... and they look and fit really well :) I can't wait to try them out in the Wharfe next week.
I have to commend the team at Exeter Angling where I ordered them from ... they took time to talk through the sizing and even got someone there to try on a pair to check the fit ! Good price at the moment too and very quick delivery.