Waldo the robin.

GEK79

I've just found this picture hidden in the laptop. I took it last year on Castlewellan lake. When I looked at it I was disappointed to see that I had managed to miss the juvenile robin I was trying to photograph. Then I looked again...took me a minute to find him.View attachment 40094

Nature eh?
Simon.
Fabulous shot and great camo.. 👍👍

Fishtales

This Robin followed me around when I was cutting the Solanum at the back of our garden.View attachment 40098
I read somewhere long ago that the reason they follow gardeners about goes back to when they were forest birds that followed Wild Boar, Pigs, Badgers or Rabbits as they rutted about in the soil and the Robin would dive in and get some titbits :)

Vintage Badger

I read somewhere long ago that the reason they follow gardeners about goes back to when they were forest birds that followed Wild Boar, Pigs, Badgers or Rabbits as they rutted about in the soil and the Robin would dive in and get some titbits :)
Probably not so much badgers as they don't often come out of their setts to forage while it's still daylight, although robins are often late to bed at dusk.

Fishtales

Probably not so much badgers as they don't often come out of their setts to forage while it's still daylight, although robins are often late to bed at dusk.
If they don't come out during daylight up here they wouldn't eat for most of the summer. ATM there is only about three hours night and even then it can be light if it isn't cloudy :)

Vintage Badger

If they don't come out during daylight up here they wouldn't eat for most of the summer. ATM there is only about three hours night and even then it can be light if it isn't cloudy :)
It's not too far behind that here in summer either, but badgers and other nocturnal animals such as bats seem to manage - they just make themselves very busy when they are up and about. Truth is, there's usually plenty of food about in high summer, so things balance out.

Gdog

This guy has spotted something and looks like he is going in for the kill.

Cap'n Fishy

Yeh - I heard that one too. Basically, if a robin comes right up to you for food, he is mistaking you for a pig! So, maybe not such a good thing to have! 😜

I was amazed to happen on a girl hand-feeding a robin on the city cycle path, back in February. It's one thing to befriend them in your own garden and the ones in the Botanic Gardens are well-trained to take food from the hand, but this was a random robin trusting someone it had never met before...

Cyclepath11Feb21_7991.jpg

Cyclepath11Feb21_7979.jpg

Spot his wonky toe...

CyclePath11Feb21_8002.jpg

CyclePath11Feb21_7974.jpg

Col

Latest posts