flytire

Walker_s_Mayfly_Nymph_1080.jpg

Walker's Mayfly Nymph

Hook – Mustad 9671, size 10

Thread - Brown

Tail – Pheasant tail fibers

Under body - Lead/lead free wire

Body - Cream angora wool

Ribbing - Brown tying thread or uni stretch, first 2 turns near the back of the hook doubled

Thorax - Cream angora wool

Wing Case - Pheasant tail fibers

Legs - Pheasant tail fibers

Originated by Richard Walker

arkle

The late Richard W, used to coat the back, with a liquid vinyl called "Vycoat" to aid durability, This is no longer available, but there are several alternatives out there. To imitate the gill movement, he used to pick out the angora along the sides of the body & this really makes a difference, when it's being fished.

Wee Jimmy

The late Richard W, used to coat the back, with a liquid vinyl called "Vycoat" to aid durability, This is no longer available, but there are several alternatives out there. To imitate the gill movement, he used to pick out the angora along the sides of the body & this really makes a difference, when it's being fished.
I had a wee bottle of Vy-coat once,I think it was Sue Burgess who sold it at the time. Can you point me in the direction of the alternatives John..? I used to like it for sealing and smoothing my leader butt knots .

roadrunner1000

Pearson's book just mentions using the same varnish along the back as used on the head.

''The careful man will apply three such coats''.

You could probably use Sally Hansen varnish that's gone a bit thick.....

flytire

from "fly tying an international guide to over 400 fly patterns" by taff price

walker-s-mayfly-nymph20210817-0002.jpg

i think i did okay tying one fly with or without vycoat or any other coatings

fish dont care

arkle

I gather that Vycoat, was added to aid the durability of the fly, especially after the sides had been "ragged", I use Loctite's "shoe & leather" adhesive, which although a bit heavier in consistency, works exactly the same, doubtless other alternatives are out there.

I also saturate the lead wire & thread wrappings with it, this helps prevent the grey lead oxide from migrating into & darkening (ruining) the cream angora.

roadrunner1000

The 'thicker' parts of the ribbing at the back of the fly should be formed from the fibres used in the tail .

p. 59-60 :

''Wind on one turn of the wool, followed by one turn of the butts of the pheasant tail fibres. Then add another turn of the wool, another turn of the fibres, and then complete the abdomen with the wool, ribbing with the brown silk, tying in, and finally cutting off the loose end of the ribbing''.
''Not very often will you see this dressing offered for sale in a tackle shop, and if you did, it would probably cost two or three times as much as the average lure. The reason for this is quite simple. I have already instructed on how foil lead strips should be applied, and this is obviously time consuming. The tying itself is quite straightforward , but the subsequent varnish applications also take extra time''.

ps substitute 'very pale buff Angora wool' with bright pink and it will still catch stockies ;)

arkle

The flies in that book, were dressed & photo'd (Pentax) by the late Taff Price, as the flies in the 2nd book were done by Pete Gathercole, who used Nikon lens's on a Fuji body

darwin

I was wondering about Richard last week while reviewing an old post.

Thanks

arkle

Before the "pink" version was even thought of,
(ps substitute 'very pale buff Angora wool' with bright pink and it will still catch stockies ;)
In some parts, the fly, was also known as "Dick W's baby doll"

Like Reply

BobP

The problem I have with the Walker nymph is its lack of mobility in the water. Mayfly larvae are wriggly b*ggers when they are actively swimming and the Walker nymph is about as active as a log. For that reason I prefer a slightly simplified version of Charles Jardine's Lively Mayfly nymph. This has done well for me on a couple of occasions this season, though I do admit to feeling just a tad awkward about using it. I can't really explain why. I use shrimp imitations and other nymphs without a qualm, but the mayfly nymph always makes me feel slightly uncomfortable.

Latest posts