Walnut Splice protector

alfie trout

Hi Gary,
Probably about 100 years ago the splice joint was invented, two sections of a rod are sliced at an angle and the 2 sections fit together and are bound together - in the early days this was wet leather these days it's normally clear hockey tape.
The joint has made a revival in the past 20 years or so, since it makes for a bamboo rod with more of a one piece feel.
When the rod is broken down, the ends become susceptible to damage due to the very fine slim tips. A splice protector fits up against the splice with the thick end of the protector against the slim tapered tip and bound to it with a cord attached to the protector.
Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve
thanks for the explanation also watched the Bob Clay video very interesting (we never stop learning)
cheers Gary.

stevel

Just to finish this thread off to say that the splices arrived today and they work a treat!!
Many thanks again to Jim (@jimmcl) for his kind offer, time and effort.

20210706_105100.jpg

stevel

Well I finally had a go at hand planing a splice protector, just for interest's sake.
Despite the seemingly simple task of planing a dowel at the required 20 degree angle, it actually proved quite tricky. The two blocks of wood twisted as pressure on the workbench was applied and the dowel continually slipped from its original position as I planed. I eventually screwed/taped the two blocks together and created some lips and edges so that the dowel wouldn't slip/move under planing.
It's no wonder the makers end up making a scarfing block so that the task is accomplished with minimum of fuss and effort.
Although I'm pleased with the result, technology trumps!
20210719_190837.jpg
20210719_190817.jpg