Wanna be a fishing guide?

andygrey

Would you ever stand to the right of an angler casting right handed over right shoulder? (I would hope you wouldn't actually allow it but you did ask.) Do you need piercings?
If there was a downstream wind, then yes, but at the same time I wouldn't be 'advising' them to cast of their right hand shoulder unless of course THEY want piercings... (all assuming we are both on the True Right Bank).

Tangled

If there was a downstream wind, then yes, but at the same time I wouldn't be 'advising' them to cast of their right hand shoulder unless of course THEY want piercings... (all assuming we are both on the True Right Bank).
There you go.

Marcus c

If you've fished a river for 40 years, you're just an angler.lf you've fished a few days and you have got a few grand to donate ,that automatically makes you a qualified guide.These days everything seems to have a price and nothing has any value

BobP

If you've fished a river for 40 years, you're just an angler.lf you've fished a few days and you have got a few grand to donate ,that automatically makes you a qualified guide.These days everything seems to have a price and nothing has any value
If you've fished a river for 40 years then you should know it rather well, assuming you are any good as an angler who takes note of what is going on around him and therefore you should be able to advise others on where to find fish under all conditions.

Attending a guide school, which many Americans do, by the way, is a bit like learning to drive. Many years ago when I first passed my driving test my uncle, then a rather good rally driver for the Army, gave me the following advice. "Passing your test means you've learned how to make the car go. Now you have to learn how to drive it."

Rhithrogena

Apologies if I missed it but has anyone asked if money is available from Sport England to set up angling 'coaching' qualifications? I remember controversy around such money influencing the 'sport' in the past......

andygrey

Apologies if I missed it but has anyone asked if money is available from Sport England to set up angling 'coaching' qualifications? I remember controversy around such money influencing the 'sport' in the past......
Not quite sure I understand the question but the AT is still running Level 1 and Level 2 courses in coaching angling.
The AT awards have always been the subject of some debate, particularly among the 3 main professional bodies.
I know of a few Level 1 coaches who 'trade' and guides and instructors falsely claiming that they are insured by the AT. In actual fact they are not fully insured unless they are either a Level 2 or working under the direct supervision of a Level 2 coach.

Rhithrogena

Not quite sure I understand the question but the AT is still running Level 1 and Level 2 courses in coaching angling.
The AT awards have always been the subject of some debate, particularly among the 3 main professional bodies.
I know of a few Level 1 coaches who 'trade' and guides and instructors falsely claiming that they are insured by the AT. In actual fact they are not fully insured unless they are either a Level 2 or working under the direct supervision of a Level 2 coach.
Thanks Andy I wondered if this money might be available to support people setting up 'Guiding' courses, but they would have to be recognised qualifications. I see now that the FB courses wouldn't qualify.
Ta!
Rich

andygrey

Thanks Andy I wondered if this money might be available to support people setting up 'Guiding' courses, but they would have to be recognised qualifications. I see now that the FB courses wouldn't qualify.
Ta!
Rich
There have been on-off discussions in GAIA about putting together a specific guiding qualification, but assessment criteria outside things like casting ability, lesson planning and delivery, preparation of RAMS documents etc. are damn nigh impossible to quantify.

Rhithrogena

There have been on-off discussions in GAIA about putting together a specific guiding qualification, but assessment criteria outside things like casting ability, lesson planning and delivery, preparation of RAMS documents etc. are damn nigh impossible to quantify.
I did my instructor ticket in the 80's and the boss decided to put us through the National Angler's Council Advanced Instructor exam. He (John Gawesworth) claimed that as it was the official government approved body for angling at the time, it was better for us. It was also cheaper for him for us to sit it than the APGAI course that he and his son had done😂.The NAC was superceded not long after and the NAC instructor qualification was lost in the mists of time....

Latest posts